SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

I have just had the Aquamist 2D system installed on my 2002 93 HOT Vert and all I can say is WOW.

I was a little sceptical as to whether or not it would make a worthy improvement to performance, but I am blown away.

I am running BSR Stage 3 with 3" DP and exhaust (no Cat).

The fact that I am at high altitude and that the best fuel we get is 93Ron really made the Aquamist system seem like a good idea. We are also blessed with amazing weather down here (but not for turbo performance), Its the middle of winter and it was 24 degrees Celsius out today. Its nice to be able to use my Vert in winter:cheesy:

My car now boosts the way it does on really cold days (3 degrees C) All the time even when its close to 30Deg out. The power also comes in a lot stronger lower down the rev range and holds it there (17.5psi) all the way to red line. I am running a 30% Methanol mix in the water which also give it a little extra.

The detonation problem I had after upgrading to stage 3 is now completely gone. Its amazing to see that after a few hours of spirited driving the inlet manifold is cool to the touch.

So if you live in a hot climate or at high altitude then don't hesitate its worth it.

more info here http://www.aquamist.co.uk

Jules

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm still waiting for somebody to do a very in dept write-up on an install of this system. Because not so many people have done this mod, it still seems sort of foreign to me.

Obviously it helps a great deal in hotter climates, I'm wondering what it will do if its run in a climate that is hot (100 max) in summer and cold (-20 max) in winter. Would there be a way to prepare the system for the colder temps? Or could you just not use it but still have it installed int he car safely. I figured that at the least drain all of the lines out and one should be okay. But what if you just waited until the engine was at full temp before using?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use it in winter just mix the water with 50% Methanol or even normal washer fluid as that will stop the water from freezing and contains methanol which gives you some extra power. In colder climates you will be able to increase your boost quite a lot when using water injection as it counter acts knock a lot. Think of Water Injection as a safeguard for your engine that keeps you running at a constant level. Even on a relatively cold day you will get some heat soak after a few runs but not with WI. It also negates the need for a bigger inter cooler.

As for the install it is really very simple to do.

The Kit needs to be mounted (Mine is mounted in the front left fender behind the washer bottle) You need to drill a hole in the washer bottle and install an outlet for the pump. (the Saab washer bottle has a nice level warning built in so you always know when to refill the bottle). You then splice 2 wires into the wire coming from your 1st injector.

Next a vacuum line for the activator (like fitting a boost gauge) The activator lets you adjust at what boost the water is activated. (mine is at around 8psi)

then you mount the controller somewhere and connect the 2 wires to the battery. The last step is to drill a hole in your intake pipe about 30 to 40 mm from the T/B and screw in the water jet. I used a .6mm nozzle but it will differ per install.

Pretty easy to do. Takes about 3 to 4 hours to do properly.

These instructions are for the Aquamist 2D system. The 1S is cheaper but has no 3d mapping or adjusted volume settings. It sprays a constant stream at a set boost. Rather spend the extra $ and get th 2D

Jules

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I would certainly get the 2D if I were to do this. And I think I'll look into this more now.

Would there be drawbacks of using a washer fluid mix? This would mostly be in the winter where I need the washer fluid to cut through the grime and salt spray on my windsheild. I'd be curious to know how it'd compare.

But I can also see how this system could be dissabled in the winter if I wanted. Probably I'd run it for a few cycles with straight washer fluid so that the lines wouldn't free up with regular water. Then I'd just pull the groud wire to the pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have read most types of washer fluid contain large amounts of alcohol to stop freezing. This has the same effect as adding some methanol to the system. It seems a few people use only washer fluid in their water injection systems all year round and it works perfectly.take a look at the Water Injection forums for more info

http://www.waterinjection.info/phpBB2

Jules

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i would be most concerned with the water lowering actual octane, though mixing with alcohol would make up for that i guess, what about proane like tweek uses? that would be in interesting comparo

·
Registered
328 Posts
aquamist has great products but they're overpriced. you could say they're the Abbott of Water Injection :lol: :cheesy:

from what i've read, WI can be done more cheaply and just as effectively if you DIY and source the parts elsewhere. i think there's a writeup on Eric's saab site, and i'm sure searching the net would yield some good info as well...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I defiantly agree that a similar set-up can be peiced together much cheaper if you put in a little time and research.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
yea i've seen alot of home built setups, the NOS Co2 sprayer is pretty good too, not to mention that you can set it up to purge like a NOS system.

but yea, if the water injection is as good as you say it is, i'll def try out this mod.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think it is the dawes site that has a write up on how to make your own injection system. This might be a cheaper alternative to a bigger IC. But since I have only seen a handful of folks do this on Saabs, I want to know more first... mostly what effects , if any, after prolonged use. like nay problems developing or whatnot. combined with a better IC and maybe even IC sprayer you should have the ultimate cooling system.:lol: water, that is. NO2 and co2 IC chillers are wicked.:eek:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I like the intercooler sprayer idea. I'm surprised more people don't do it, especially since those headlight washers could easily be adapted to spray water down onto the I/C.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i had an ic sprayer on my car, it pissed water all over the ic.. hahahhaha it does negligible things, since it is not at the track all the time, its ppointless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts