SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 93-SE hatchback; recently I have noticed a fair bit of water in the hatch after it rains. Of note, the seals around the rear lights were replaced 7 years ago. Last month the Saab dealership guys told me the light seals again needed replacement. I didn't totally believe them since I have noticed water in 3 different places in the back, including the wheel of the spare (without much water underneath the spare).

Yesterday my buddy and I got the hose out and sprayed various areas. We sprayed the rear lights in isolation; there was no obvious leaking. When we sprayed the space where the hatch meets the body on the right I found water entering at the right back corner and also coming in where the hatch latch meets the main body. I presume the right corner leaking may be from worn weather stripping, but remain puzzled about the pooling of water in the spare wheel. (I have been leaving the carpet pulled up so the wheel is uncovered.) I wondered if water could be leaking from somewhere in the rear window seal but couldn't recreate this. I was considering taking out the carpet and rear liner to better isolate the source(s) of leaking. Do others have experience with removing the liner (and then putting it back in). How awkward is this to do? Also, anyone else have the experience of water getting into the spare wheel (but not into the wheel well below)?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Yes, I live with this water leak, the damage done to a relic is not that great.
The tail-lites seal - 7 years?? - if leaking again its a poor design or a poor seal...
Check the antenna drain.
The hatch seal ?? Maybe this can be built up a little using "dum-dum". The hatch itself can be tightened down a little to compensate for wear and tear.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Like earthworm said, check the antenna drain, but also check the where the filler flap is bolted to the body. I had water coming from the taillight gaskets, the filler flap, and the drain hoses that exit below the the taillights. The water from the filler flap and drain hoses combine was causing water to back up and pour into the indentation for the spare tire, it was a mess. I ended up replacing both taillight gaskets, resealing the filler flap with silicon, and blowing out the drain hoses and re-securing them tightly into place. That sufficiently eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It might be worth checking your exterior trim molding as the clips are attached through holes that were drilled every couple inches apart, as well as where the rear spoiler attaches.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
There is a lot of insulation on the trunk carpet that can hold water for a long time, it is possible that water is just draining from the insulation to the spare tire well since it's the low point.

Like suggested the common areas for leaks in the trunk are:

Tail light gaskets
Fuel filler opening
Sunroof drains (the drains come unplugged from the nipples in the trunk floor and just drain into the trunk)
Antenna drain (same as above)
Deteriorated weather stripping around the hatch.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It might be worth checking your exterior trim molding as the clips are attached through holes that were drilled every couple inches apart, as well as where the rear spoiler attaches.
I don't think so - most if not all of the trim on modern cars is glued on.

The spoiler does have a couple of mounting holes, but that's because it's a big chunk.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Sunroof drains (the drains come unplugged from the nipples in the trunk floor and just drain into the trunk)
Open your sunroof all the way and pour some water in the channels on the sides. The water should drain behind the front and rear wheels, check under the spare for water building up when you pour it. I had this leak and decided to caulk the sunroof shut, that is the cheapest and easiest solution. I wonder why they couldn't make the sunroof seal when it closes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In addition to the usual suspects identified above:

The seam where the exterior quarter panel meets the rear wheel well/fender can get deteriorate and leak. Spray the inside edge of that seam to check. Also remember, there is an air exit vent behind the carpeting on the right rear quarter. It has flaps which stay closed when the car is off and stationary, but then come open if there is any positive air pressure in the car - like when the AC is turned on. So everything will check out dry when checking with a hose, but then it leaks while driving. It took me ripping out the entire back half of my Viggen and driving around in the rain to figure that one out. :roll:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Open your sunroof all the way and pour some water in the channels on the sides. The water should drain behind the front and rear wheels, check under the spare for water building up when you pour it. I had this leak and decided to caulk the sunroof shut, that is the cheapest and easiest solution. I wonder why they couldn't make the sunroof seal when it closes.
The water that comes in around the sunroof goes into a tub that drains into the wheelwells. It's a very simple concept that is almost foolproof, unless some of the lines are blocked, dislodged or damaged.

I don't know if designing a sunroof window with a seal would be better overall in the long run. I think if it was, someone would have done it by now. I for sure haven't surveyed all cars, but I've never seen one that didn't go the tub route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think it's from the sunroof but that could be one of many sources of leaking. I would like to remove the carpet liner so I can better see what's going on. Does anyone have experience with this? Wondering how hard it is to get out and then reinsert.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not hard at all. It's a little tedious but totally low skill. While you have it apart, cover everything in dynamat or something similar and install Nick's hatch brace (also easier done with things apart) and you will be amazed with your new, quiet, dry, rattle free 9-3. My wife even noticed the difference - which means it's a pretty dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The water that comes in around the sunroof goes into a tub that drains into the wheelwells. It's a very simple concept that is almost foolproof, unless some of the lines are blocked, dislodged or damaged.

I don't know if designing a sunroof window with a seal would be better overall in the long run. I think if it was, someone would have done it by now. I for sure haven't surveyed all cars, but I've never seen one that didn't go the tub route.
My old 87 Porsche 944 has the drains but if the seal is crap it still leaks. Replaced it last year and no more leaks.

That doesn't help with our Saab problems though.

My hatch leaks so much the CD changer in the trunk stopped working. Left the car with a bunch of stuff in the back for awhile too (after the changer stopped working) and when I went to remove it from the car the stuff was all moldy and gross. I really need to get that leak fixed. My car smells so bad inside.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I siliconed my tail light gaskets a couple of days ago and last night we had a monsoon of a rainfall... My truck was totally dry this morning ;ol;. I hope that was the fix, seems as if there a lot of other places this car can let water inside.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a leak on the left a-pillar and right c-pillar.

I put some silicone around the drain tubes cause it looked like where the hose connects there is now room for water to seep through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts