SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about water / alcohol injection and found a few recommendations for "Snow Performance" kits:

http://www.snowperformance.net/products.php?p_cat=288

This kit uses manifold boost pressure to determine when and how much fluid to inject. Proportionally injecting according to boost pressure gives the most accurate delivery of water-methanol and allows the most cooling and performance improvement over the widest range. More power and driveability is the result. It can be used on any forced induction engine: carbureted, fuel injected, turbocharged, positive displacement or centrifugal blowers. The most suitable are the centrifugal supercharged and turbocharged engines, as they build boost is a more progressive manner concerning water-methanol injection. The positive displacement blower engines will work, but it might take more work to dial in the delivery. For higher boost applications (over 25psi), the controller can be upgraded to our VC100 unit. Now with Lifetime Warranty - please see details.

Kit includes:

• 150+ PSI High Volume Pump
• 2 Quart Reservoir
• Digital Variable Controller
• 2 Nozzles To Cover a Wide Range of Horsepower
• All Required Hardware Needed For Installation
• Comprehensive Instructions
Their kit looks quite comprehensive and easy to fit, the site seems impressive (but then it would wouldnt it) so with concerns about engine temps and reliability it seems like a good idea............

Anyone using this type of kit, any thoughts?

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The 9-5 section is not the place to ask Chris, go see what the 9000/900 guys know about this. ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly why we need the info here :p

It was the GM900 Perf Forum that got me this far ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You know, I've never been a huge fan of these kits, but that's mainly because I really don't like the idea of water (alcohol doesn't bug me as much) going into my intake.

I personally would rather have something spray the exterior of the intercooler with water or alcohol on high boost, which this kit may be able to do.

P.S. I don't believe this actually makes the engine run cooler, but instead just lowers intake temperatures. I've heard these can actually make reliability worse! :eek:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I thought one of the main reasons why water-methanol injection is used is to cool the charge and lessen the chance of knocking.......something Trionic does pretty well........Saab themselves dropping it's use on the 99T infavour later on of it's more high-tech APC system IIRC...:roll:

Plus, it's usually reported that using it subjects the engine internals to be more susceptible to corrosion unless the engine is subjected to constant high temp operation to evaporate any water from the oil.

It was used very effectively by Daimler-Benz and other engine makers during WW2 to gain high altitude performance for short periods.....:)

So, waste of money IMHO unless your building a car to enter Pikes Peak of course....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had an original Saab water/methonol kit on a 99T 2 door in the late 80's & when it worked!!, it felt like it gave way more that the quoted 25bhp increase. I believe it had been modified as it had 4 injectors?.

I had it removed due to the scare stories at the time of the injectors leaking & swamping the turbo & inlet pipes.

From what i've read since then the systems are far more reliable & i was actually toying with the idea of an ERL system once i got around to fitting a TD04.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I think you will need a tune to take advantage of it. It would need to be more advanced in WOT to take advantage of the cooling. Most people who use them have it activated at only WOT ( so there's your high temp situation right there)

There is now computerizaiton control which makes them more reliable. But if you run out of fluid you will need to stay off it..

The shop I went to for dyno runs does toms of these on Suby's

another q, how does the DI detect ionization advance with the solution in there?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not sure i could do this to my babies...:cry:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used the aquamist system on my SPG with great success, finally getting me over the 300 whp mark. Unfortunately, two days after the install, my tranny exploded in spectacular fashion. I went through two more before deciding to buy my 9-5. Anyway, I think it is a great addition to any turbo car but with T7 you would definately need to tune it to take full advantage. As for corroding internals, it is a boost activated system(it will spray at a specified manifold pressure)so the water becomes steam, absorbing heat in the process. A better explanation can be found here:

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html
hope this helps, Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jssaab said:
another q, how does the DI detect ionization advance with the solution in there?
The alky mix is injected before the throttle body so the h2o is evaporated by the time it reaches the combustion chamber(h2o absorbs the latent heat)it is a high octane fuel, methanol plus 93 octane=approx 110-112 octane.
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts