SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Righto, so far my 2.0 Eco has added to it;

Speedparts ECU, APC solenoid and a Forge recirc dump valve + new air hoses throughout.

But, when I first put the ECU on the car absolutely flew. In the last week or so the boost pressure seems to have dropped hence the new dump valve.

However, this has made a little difference but the boost pressure is still not as high as it should be.

This leads me to believe the wastegate actuator is up the spout (or heading that way), especially as the boost comes on strong then backs off a touch.

So, if I remove the wastegate actuator, what kind of resistance should I be feeling when pushing the rod in? Should I be able to move it easily or should it be a real struggle to move?

Also, is it worth adjusting the bolt on the actuator shaft or will that spell disaster?

If anyone's on at the moment who knows, please shout as I am about to spend the rest of the evening underneath the car (just for a change - LOL!) :cheesy:

·
Banned
637 Posts
The internal Return (hold Shut) spring on the actuator may have deteriorated An inevitable occurance.
BUT it may not be what yer problem is.
Suggest doing a Base Boost Diagnosis.. as specified in the Bentley Manual (use the C900 one).. identical procedure.
You might also try a 'helper' spring on the actuator.. a simple inexpensive spring bodged between the Actuator and the Wastegate Flap rod (which incidentally Has no resistance whatsoevrr designed in).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Basre!

The hold shut spring on the actuator seems to be ok, but with no comparison I'm not sure if the resistance is enough. It takes a 'keen' push to move the actuator rod if that means anything. :roll:

I might go for the 'extra' spring thing.

If I adjusted the 'sleeve' connected to the wastegate arm (sorry....don't know the technical word) to delay the wastegate opening, will that lift the boost or cause problems by not letting enough waste air out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, is the base boost diagnosis the one where the APC is disconnected to check the base level? (Don't have a Bentley manual).

How is the base level adjusted?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Returned said:
Also, is the base boost diagnosis the one where the APC is disconnected to check the base level? (Don't have a Bentley manual).

How is the base level adjusted?
Wastegate rod; go to Bill Jones excellent site saab9000,com for a great write-up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hold the phone.

I've used the fangled search thing and found on the 900 bit that the base boost is adjusted with the actuator rod (which is what I had imagined).

But, poor little me doesn't have a boost guage.

Is it a case of try it and then adjust it then try it etc etc?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Don't know if you were aware but the spring in the actuator is V strong.. it makes reinserting the Connector to the Wastegate into a Serious task.
Suggest 2 things: 1) McMaster Carr sells a V good Industrial quailty (v accurate) Boost gauge for $10 !! yes ! Search, then hunt in their online catalogue.. very quick reasonable shipping too :)
2) FIND the Official base Boost diagnosis procedure.. it's wee bit more involved than pulling a Hose :) Try Townsed Site, thru Saabnet.com, for a freebie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my actuator spring is knackered then Basre as you quite rightly said. It was an effort but not that much of an effort.

I found the base boost procedure for the 9000 so that much I do have. New actuator I think.

Cheers for boost gauge info - I'll have a gawps at that. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aye, already seen that mate! :cheesy:

Just need more funds to come in first or the bank manager will be doing a :nono; .

:cheesy:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basre....

Is this what you meant by a 'helper' spring?

The spring runs from the wastegate control arm to a bracket mounted on the actuator securing bolt. Gives a little extra resistance at the mo but I can reverse the bracket to give more - don't want to go too mad until I grab a boost pressure gauge though [worries about the word KABOOM).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts