SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been long meaning to clean my engine bay, but have always been hesitant to do so, because, you know, all the electrical and mechanical parts that could be damaged.

However, I did some reading, and realized it's not as big as a deal as I thought it was. Anyone have any special considerations for our cars? (i.e., a good way to cover the alternator?). Turbocharger?

Also, any tips on how to get my blacks plastics looking blacker and the engine block shiny and new looking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
unplug your battery, spray down the whole thing, not powerwash just with the hose. take an air gun and dry it off as quickly as possible, take rags and wipe it till it shines and let it dry for an hour atleast before reconnecting your battery. the air hose is to get the water off as much of the electrical parts as you can as quickly as you can. on all my cars cleaning it this way has never caused a single problem.

as for the plastics go and get yourself some black "show room new" its a plastic dye and its amazing!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
i sprayed alot of the plastics in my bay with truck bed liner. looks alot like the textured rub strips on the car. easy to clean too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys, new question for you.

I washed sprayed down the bay (gently) the other day, and got rid of most the dirt and dust. Then, while everything was still wet (sprayed the paint on the car down, too, just in case) I sprayed the bay down with Purple Power. This ate away at a lot of the grease and grime, but I think the NaOH in the spray also ate the paint on the plastic cover that said "SAAB TURBO", which I can repaint. The purple power did not make my engine block shiny, by any means (it's pretty matte gray looking, which is probably what it looked like stock).

Thus, I wanted to step it up a level. I don't need/want a polished look, but I want the engine block to look brighter. I read an article about polishing aluminum parts in engines by stepping up grades of sand paper. This would be far too tedious for the entire block. However, I tried 60 grit on a small spot of the exposed cast aluminum, and it already looks better there (i.e., the first step in this article: http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/2010/07/diy-polishing-aluminum-engine-parts-to.html)

Is it ok to sand the cast aluminum? I'm not talking about the critical components or heads. I only worry about aluminum dust causing problems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ok guys, new question for you.

I washed sprayed down the bay (gently) the other day, and got rid of most the dirt and dust. Then, while everything was still wet (sprayed the paint on the car down, too, just in case) I sprayed the bay down with Purple Power. This ate away at a lot of the grease and grime, but I think the NaOH in the spray also ate the paint on the plastic cover that said "SAAB TURBO", which I can repaint. The purple power did not make my engine block shiny, by any means (it's pretty matte gray looking, which is probably what it looked like stock).

Thus, I wanted to step it up a level. I don't need/want a polished look, but I want the engine block to look brighter. I read an article about polishing aluminum parts in engines by stepping up grades of sand paper. This would be far too tedious for the entire block. However, I tried 60 grit on a small spot of the exposed cast aluminum, and it already looks better there (i.e., the first step in this article: http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/2010/07/diy-polishing-aluminum-engine-parts-to.html)

Is it ok to sand the cast aluminum? I'm not talking about the critical components or heads. I only worry about aluminum dust causing problems.

I'd try a scotch brite pad (red) first. I used that on my valve cover and it cleaned it up pretty well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts