SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had a good search here on this but n0-one seemed to have the same issue as im having at the moment. Basically my wipers are working fine, on all levels. When I pull on the lever for the washer fluid, the wipers work fine but no fluid on the windscreen. There is no sound from the pump. However, if I pull on the lever (i think its every fifth pull of the lever??) the pump will work and fluid will dispence from the headlight jets. So, all in all, windscreen washers are not working, headlights are.
I have checked fluid levels and it is fine.
I have checked both fuses and they are fine.

Anyone have any suggestions? Older threads with similar (but not identical) issues seemed to suggest that it is the wiper motor and that the wiper motor and washer pump are somehow linked. I'm far from an expert here so any help would be appreciated. If its the wiper motor on the blink, Ireland is not a country one can do without wipers!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
How cold is it in Ireland? At time in New York, my headlight washers freeze up. I've searched for washer fluid that works down to -20F and it still freezes.

Good luck,

Bryan

·
Registered
393 Posts
The pump sounds like it went, or could have disconnected.

To check, you'll need to take off the wheel liner on the driver's side. The pumps are connected to the washer-bottle. One is for the headlamp washers, and one is for the windshield washers.

You could try swapping the tubes (the connectors are plastic, and could be swapped either way (but be careful, they're easily broken)) to see if the windsheild washer pump is gone.

Also, the wiper motors shouldn't really be connected. That's to suggest there's no mechanical or physical link. There may be an electrical one, but I wouldn't see why.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had similar problem and thought the worst. Mine was a broken washer jet on the hood. The washer jets are connected in series obviously so if the first fails they all fail. The hose was behind the hood/bonnet insulation and the leak was not obvious at first (trying to look under hood and pulling lever at same time not so easy)

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
sounds like a knackered pump, probable froze up when it was cold, happened to my sons car, new pump is about £17 from Saab

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Knackered pump indeed. My mechanic tells me the reason the pump works for the headlights, but not on the windscreen, was that the headlights were actually switched on (I always have my lights on). Once i turned off my lights, the headlight washers dont work.
Anyway new pump needed. €40 so not so bad. Beats driving to work with a bottle of water in the car to pour on the windscreen when things get too dirty to see!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts