SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I ordered new plugs for my 01 9-5 2.3 and after installing, I discovered they were for the aero. They're NGK PFR6H-10. I figured they can't be that different so I ran it. driving home today the car kept stalling and after waiting a few minutes, it would restart and go another mile or so and then stall again. Did this 3-4 times until I got home.

I ran out and bought the right plugs, which are NGK BCPR6EGP. Installed them and drove it for a couple miles and back and it ran okay and didn't stall out.

My question: How certain would you be that this was my problem? I have to take a several hundred mile trip this week and don't want to assume this was it and end up stranded. Did my DIC detect a problem and shut the car down? If so, why does it let it restart and go for a bit? Should I look further into the DIC or fuel pump?

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I believe NOT your plugs, based upon the info in your first post. Classic symptoms of the CPS or fuel pump / fuel pump circuit. Check the connector for the CPS. I agree, go with Bosch for the CPS even though I have a Rockauto special with the original Bosch as a spare. Make sure to check and clean your engine and body ground connections. Fuel pump relay? Fuel pump? Do you have any codes? The DIC will most likely set a code as well as a flashing engine light when it craps out.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,726 Posts
As much as I agree with the team here on CPS - I would say that there have been reports on the web of platinum plugs "causing" issues. I and many peeps here will only use the copper knowing they will need replacement more often, but also the price factors in.

So yes according to what I have read...it coulda been the plugs. :cheesy:

Here is some info from Saabnet...that guy did not post a follow up.

Here's the description of the Saab-specific PFR6H-10:

Extra Long Life Double Platinum Plug, 14mm Thread Size, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, ISO Length, Wide Gap, Solid Terminal Nut, Projected Tip, Fine Point Platinum Center Electrode and Platinum Tip Laser Welded on Ground Electrode, .040" (1.02mm) Gap, Heat Range 6

and for the EGP:

GP Single Platinum Spark Plug, 14mm Thread Size, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Removable Terminal Nut, JIS Height, Projected Tip, Platinum Tipped Center Electrode, Trapezoid (Beveled Cut) Ground Electrode, .040" (1.02mm) Gap, Heat Range 6

pretty similar except the Saab one has a platinum ground electrode also..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well said.

OP states: "driving home today the car kept stalling and after waiting a few minutes, it would restart and go another mile or so and then stall again. Did this 3-4 times until I got home."

I still doubt plugs. Even with less desirable new NGK plugs that may have issues, the plugs are still going to start and run the car for a long time unless they are seriously fouled. Unlikely in this situation.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Those platinum sparks are OK.
Here in Finland Saab uses NGK BCPR7ES-11 (2,3t and 2,3T), BCPR6ES-11 (2,0t) and NGK PFR6H-10 (Aero).
Saab recommedents NGK BCPR-7ES-11 also Aeros when use boiethanol.
Cange intervals: BCPR6 & 7's 10 000km; PFR6H-10 60 000km.

Typical failure on CPS is stalling when hot and especaily when restart after 5 mins.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: New (Bosch) CPS and good to go. The one I replaced was not a Bosch and I would bet the different plugs may have lent toward the failure. Also replaced the turbo control valve and my power and turbo whistle is back!

200k and still like new. Beat that Honda, Toyota, etc, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
replace your CPS
UPDATE: New (Bosch) CPS and good to go. The one I replaced was not a Bosch and I would bet the different plugs may have lent toward the failure. Also replaced the turbo control valve and my power and turbo whistle is back!

Told ya :cheesy:
glad you got it fixed and up and running. nothing better than sweet victory of fixing an issue and making your car run even better

·
Registered
754 Posts

Which plugs did you end up using?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went with what the book calls for, NGK BCPR6EGP.

The wrong ones I first bought and installed were PFR6H10, for the Aero.. $12 each and now they sit in my garage...

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Yup. Doesn't mean they're not still sitting there. I have parts sitting in my basement from a car I haven't owned in almost 20 years because they are obsolete and I haven't moved so there's no need put in a landfill.
I understand. Did you send him a dm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts