SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a 2001 9-5 (2.3t) that might need a new chain (still being investigated by the SAAB technicians at my shop) and if this change is needed I'm thinking of any other "extras", i.e. engine parts, that are well worth changing while the engine is in parts... The engine is covered by the 8-year warranty so I'll have to pay for the extra parts and extra labour.

I'm not looking for any "tuning" or "boosts" in the strictest sense, basically I'm looking for parts that might be beneficial to change in order to minimize the risk for future problems. Someone suggested "forged pistons"... in that case what type and brand? Links?

Other stuff that's good to change "while they're at it"?

Any input much appreciated!

X

·
0 Posts
JohanD said:
Hi!

I have a 2001 9-5 (2.3t) that might need a new chain (still being investigated by the SAAB technicians at my shop) and if this change is needed I'm thinking of any other "extras", i.e. engine parts, that are well worth changing while the engine is in parts... The engine is covered by the 8-year warranty so I'll have to pay for the extra parts and extra labour.

I'm not looking for any "tuning" or "boosts" in the strictest sense, basically I'm looking for parts that might be beneficial to change in order to minimize the risk for future problems. Someone suggested "forged pistons"... in that case what type and brand? Links?

Other stuff that's good to change "while they're at it"?

Any input much appreciated!
Johan, I cant see that forged pistons on an un-tuned car are really necessary! As changing things before they break seemes a little daft, but I understand what you are saying if the timing belt is being changed anyway. Its the old story of keeping up with all the pcv pipes. If you want real peace of mind then have the sump dropped and cleaned, then always do the regular synthetic oil changes.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You could also have them look at the pulleys for wear and tear. As Finn says forged pistons are not needed for standard applications, but you can get them from Maptuns site if you wish to go on a spending spree. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is the timing belt the same thing as the camshaft drive belt that is supposed to be changed under the 60k service? I had my 2001 9-5 in for emergency repair at other than usual dealer, and they told me the timing belt should have been done along with the 60k service. My regular dealer is denying it, and I think I found it in the booklet if these two things are the same thing. Scary that I have to know more than the 'certified' dealer.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Are you getting the timing chain and drive belts mixed up? Its the drivebelt that gets changed at the 66k service.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kermit said:
Are you getting the timing chain and drive belts mixed up? Its the drivebelt that gets changed at the 66k service.
thats right - the timing chain isnt touched unless something goes fubar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Double-check your Warranty & Service Record Book

I called my dealer for appt., and asked him if camshaft drive belt is the same thing as the timing belt. He said 'yes'. Then I directed him to my book where it states under 60,000 mile major service "Change camshaft drive belt V6" (last item in column one). Does not say check it, says change it. He still tried to wiggle out of changing it as part of the service, so I directed him to my owner's manual where under "Maintenance & Owner Assistance" it states "Camshaft drive belt replacements (V6) prior to 100,000 miles will be performed at no charge by an authorized U.S. or Canadian Saab dealer." He was then at a loss of words, so he told me to bring everything in with me for my appointment next week. I will post the results here, but I am fairly confident that I will not have to pay for this service!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The V6 does have a timing / cambelt, the 4 cylinder cars have chains ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Ahhhh its a V6, you failed to mention that little point. Not sure about timing belt/camshaft drive belt being same thing. The V6 is a rare beast in the UK, there seems to be a fair few Stateside though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Kermit said:
Ahhhh its a V6, you failed to mention that little point. Not sure about timing belt/camshaft drive belt being same thing. The V6 is a rare beast in the UK, there seems to be a fair few Stateside though.
therein lies my confusion as well...

:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts