SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Saab 9-5 2.3L wagon, 201,000 miles. The machine shop says the head is warped 0.020", and that more than 0.10" is not recommended for resurfacing. Being that replacement engines are $1,000+, and may be also ready to fail, I am considering repairing what I have.

Does anyone have a source for a thicker head gasket, and or experience using one? (I know it was an option when I was rebuilding a V8 Porsche, but can't remember the vendor...)

I also have at least one 'turned bearing' #3 main bearing, so the block will need machine shop attention.

Is it also safe to assume all the plastic timing guide rails should be replaced as well?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Why not try to find a used head at a "You Pull You Pay" place for $50? With any luck it could be usable....if even if you had to pull off two of them.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Or maybe buy a used head from Goldwingsaab.com. I think they charge something like $250 (i think it was when I checked a year ago, when i was reviewing opitons for my head...but I lucked-out and it was machinable so i did not buy one from them at that time). Don't know if you have U Pull U pay where you live (i do here in Cincinnati), and i think they charge $50....but you have to remove it yourself of course. could be woth it even if you you have to spend $200-$250 to have it planed/machined.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Your engien is toast, you can get a bare block and head for 500 bucks in usable condition, not worth th etime or expense to do the work you need

·
Registered
150 Posts
SAABguy,
keep in mind that if the underside of the head is warped so is the top side. Some heads can be straightened, it is not an option to just machine one side, you will break camshafts.
It certainly sounds like it is worth sourcing another engine.
Good luck.
Regards,
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts