SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a short shifter and two sets of floor mats from Genuine Saab last week, the order total was $362.67 USD.

I received an email from Genuine Saab's shipper of choice UPS telling me that I needed to send them funds for duties and taxes through my customs broker and that if I didn't have a customs broker they (UPS) would do the broker services for me, I replied that I don't employ a customs broker and that I would like to take advantage of their kind offer to provide this service....I got a bill.

Seven hundred percent duty on one set of floor mats twelve hundred percent on the other set, no duty on the short shifter which was declared as "exhaust parts".

Duty was only fifty bucks even with the crazy duty rates but with the UPS brokerage fees of almost seventy dollars I had to fork over $116.00 total...sucks some of the fun out of shopping.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
I've heard horror stories of UPS duty rates into Canada, but that's ridiculous! It makes you wonder why companies like Taliaferro would even use them for Canadian shipping. It seems like it would be far cheaper to just ship items through the post office.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Never ever use UPS when shipping from US to Canada.

Be very careful about customs charges and duty.

One nice thing about RockAuto is that it gives prices including all customs costs.

Or order Canadian: nordicspeed.com

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I lived abroad, I found that the best way to avoid or pay the smallest customs fees was to use the postal service. Priority mail was by far the best value both in terms of postage cost, delivery promptness, and low-to-no customs/brokerage fees. This was 20 years ago, but it sounds like UPS hasn't changed their tune at all. I'd at least check into USPS for those sorts of things.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
USPS/Canada Post can be okay, although I have had to pay duties on delivery sometimes. Very recently I did a swap of items with someone in the US, and neither of us paid duty. New parts from a vendor can be a different story.

Unfortunately some on-line vendors have a preferred or sole source shipper. I always inquire what shipping will be used. Well, actually, I try to buy locally where possible. RockAuto I have found to be the easiest US site to order parts from.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
USPS/Canada Post can be okay, although I have had to pay duties on delivery sometimes. Very recently I did a swap of items with someone in the US, and neither of us paid duty. New parts from a vendor can be a different story.

Unfortunately some on-line vendors have a preferred or sole source shipper. I always inquire what shipping will be used. Well, actually, I try to buy locally where possible. RockAuto I have found to be the easiest US site to order parts from.
Would it be illegal if I bought parts in the U.S., drove to the U.S./Canadian border, and just chucked the parts across the border? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never ever use UPS when shipping from US to Canada.

Or order Canadian: nordicspeed.com
Genuine Saab only use UPS there isn't any choice, NORDICSPEED doesn't sell a short shifter, their floor mat prices are high even with duties and exchange, actually most of the NS prices are quite high and their product selection is very limited

I might buy the exhaust for my project car from them.

Ninety percent of my parts purchases are from local vendors that I have been dealing with for decades.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it be illegal if I bought parts in the U.S., drove to the U.S./Canadian border, and just chucked the parts across the border? Asking for a friend.
Illegal? Probably not unless someone threw you money back from the other side.

I live a forty minute drive from the US - Canada border, if you are going to throw anything across to me it better float, all of the border crossings within two hours of me are at massive bodies of water. :)

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
You know there is some reason it would be illegal. If I tried throwing something from Canada into the US, I would probably get hustled away by Homeland Security (never mind that I was not on US soil).

Driving across the border with stuff does not necessarily get you dinged for customs and taxes, even if you're not within the length of stay and value of items limitations. Unfortunately every border crossing in Southern Ontario is over a toll bridge (in at least one direction) and in normal times can take you an hour to make it through the traffic. This may be much less an issue in, say, Sasaktchewan.

Genuine Saab only use UPS there isn't any choice, NORDICSPEED doesn't sell a short shifter, their floor mat prices are high even with duties and exchange, actually most of the NS prices are quite high and their product selection is very limited

I might buy the exhaust for my project car from them.

Ninety percent of my parts purchases are from local vendors that I have been dealing with for decades.
It's not obvious from their website, but orders over a minimum amount (about $200) ship free. However, GST is charged.

I usually order OEM items from them, although the "OEM quality" dogbone I got was probably OEM with the serial numbers filed off. I agree the selection is hit or miss, but when it's a hit, like the cover for the rain sensor, well, where am I going to find a rain sensor cover with an unbroken latch so it doesn't always come loose?

Another thing is that NordicSpeed can have items in stock which are no longer available from Orio. I just ordered OEM front rotors for my 9-3. NS still has a small stock of OEM rotors. Orio and their outlets such as eSaabparts have "Saab Select" replacements. I have not been overly impressed with the one Saab Select piece I have (inadvertently) purchased, and prefer to get actual Saab OEM parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts