SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I really hope this saves everyone a big hassle. The short version is NEVER use LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK. I am getting to know my car pretty well, unfortunately I live on campus here and don't have access to a place to work on my car (not that i would be able much anyways). My car has a minor power steering leak, looking back maybe I shouldn't have become so concerned. It's just I can't afford any major engine repair so I try to be tough when it comes to fixing small problems before they get out of control. Anyway I took my car to a mechanic here and asked him if he could take a look at my leak. He tightened something and then suggested I go to autozone and find "LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK". After noticing later that my car was still leaking small amounts of power steering fluid I went to autozone and bought just that. I followed the instructions exactly and added some to my reservoir. Today I started my car and it made a horrible sound, I quickly ascertained that it had everything to do with my power steering because when I turned my wheel it would make a loud "light saber" sound (lol sorry thats the only way i can describe the sound). Anyway's I opened my reservoir and wow... This thick sludge was inside, to me it looked like orange yogurt. I don't know what to do :(. How can I drain it all out myself and replace it myself? But yeah please do not use this product :(

·
Banned
250 Posts
Ouch. By light saber you mean a grinding kinda sound right ? I had that with a '92 Vauxhall/Opel Astra. Clogged the whole system up. And siezed the whole steering! GET IT DRAINED QUICK! Whether you do it or not just get it done.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Some mechanics have a power flush or fluid exchange machine that they can hook to to your power steering reservoir, it pumps in fresh fluid as the old fluid is extracted, costs about $100. This still wouldn't solve your leak. You either have a cracked or leaking hose or a seal has failed in your power steering pump, there are any number of places where the system could be leaking. The squealing sounds you're hearing are the bearings in your pump not getting constant fluid, you'll completely fry your pump if you continue to drive in that condition.
Take the car back to the mechanic, tell him you followed his advice and you're in trouble, if he can give you bad advice like dumping in a stop leak, he can also be responsible for now flushing it out and fixing it. You'll want to check your manual for a specific fluid recommendation, but a lot of recent Saab's use Pentosin CHF 11S Power Steering fluid. You've found out the hard way this fluid doesn't play well with additives. I should also add that a cheap and very slow way to extract the fluid from the reservoir is by using a turkey baster...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The original factory fill wasn't an ordinary ATF, it was CHF11S fluid. That may be why you're having this issue. ATF and CHF11S are not the same things and the stop leak might have been meant to only work in ATF based systems.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, yeah I'm gonna have to try and suck it out myself somehow. Some sort of cheap pump would be really helpful. If I do manage to suck most of it out, would adding fresh fluid solve the problem? (aside from the leak). Oh and yes its a grinding like sound when i move my wheel, it's very loud.
Thanks- David

·
Registered
348 Posts
It will take multiple times to try and "suck" the fluid out, and you won't be able to get it all the old fluid out.

I recommending disconnecting the hose at the reservoir, raising the car, and have some turn the car on and steer full to full to drain the fluid, then stop the car immediately. Refill, and perform the procedure again, to "flush" the system.

Do a search on power steering flush.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Nathan 9⁵;1710560 said:
The original factory fill wasn't an ordinary ATF, it was CHF11S fluid. That may be why you're having this issue. ATF and CHF11S are not the same things and the stop leak might have been meant to only work in ATF based systems.
so, is it better to just go the dealer and the fluid there?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
General rule of thumb... any "additive" that claims to stop leaks, repair seals, quiet noises, etc. is OFF LIMITS in a Saab. Probably any other car too. They're all gimmicks and just lead to trouble. Good luck though!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just an aside, I have also been using orange Amsoil PSF for more than a year with no issues whatsoever. I did a complete flush of the system.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't get a chance to take it in today, i figured it would be better for the car if it wasn't freezing outside. Hopefully i can take it in on Thursday and they have the right fluid for my baby :(

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Coolant leak resolution

Don't be intimidated to not use (Barse stop leak) in your coolant system reservior. This stuff works great for those with coolant leak problems.

Cost 5.00 bucks at Autozone and stopped by head gasket leak in minutes; which could have cost a fortune to replace the head gasket.

Just do your homework prior to duimping liquids in various systems.

SAAB like to leak from, oil cooler, head gasket and turbo's banjo connections. Oh ya, and the natorious water pressure swith valve. The one attached to the firewall..ya..ya that's the one. Forgot the name.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Don't be intimidated to not use (Barse stop leak) in your coolant system reservior. This stuff works great for those with coolant leak problems.

Cost 5.00 bucks at Autozone and stopped by head gasket leak in minutes; which could have cost a fortune to replace the head gasket.

Just do your homework prior to duimping liquids in various systems.

SAAB like to leak from, oil cooler, head gasket and turbo's banjo connections. Oh ya, and the natorious water pressure swith valve. The one attached to the firewall..ya..ya that's the one. Forgot the name.
Please remind me never to buy a used car from you.......
("miracles" in a can are great for used car dealers who want to stick an unsuspecting buyer with a car that's plagued with problems).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts