SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, I took my car in for the 90K mile service. I ended up needing new brake pads and rotors. The bill ended up being $1250 - that's never fun. A few days later, I went out of town, so my car hadn't been started in a week. Last night when I got home, one of the first things I did was get the keys and start her up - oh how I missed my Saab. lol

My excitement was short-lived...the Central Warning Light came on along with the Battery/Charging Warning Light. So I let her run for a while thinking it may just be happening because it hadn't been started in a week. Nope - the light stays on, so I drove around for 5-10 minutes hoping for the light to go off. The car didn't take any longer than usual to start up and it felt fine when I was driving it. However, the light stayed on, so I checked the alternator belt and it looks perfectly fine. I didn't really know what to do so I just gave up for the night.

Here is a list of all the lights that are on this morning:

Central Warning Light
Battery/Charging Warning Light
ABS Warning Light
Brake Warning Light
Airbag Warning Light
Check Gear Box Warning Light

I really think it must be a technical problem, at least that's what I'm hoping. I have no idea why the Airbag light would be on. All of the other lights could be on just because of the recent service. I'm not so sure about the battery not charging properly though, there shouldn't be a problem with it. NOTHING was wrong with the car when I left for vacation - the car was actually running great because of the service it just had. I know that all of these could potentially be very serious problems and I don't want to drive the car if it's not safe. So i guess my question is this - Why are all these warning lights on?

X

·
0 Posts
Wow $1250 that sounds painfull :( That sounds like the lights that come on when you first turn the ignition key during the check cycle. I agree with you on the technical problem, I cant believe that all those faults are real all in one go. Just a guess but I think I would try dis-connecting the battery for a while then hook up and try again. See if it my re-set itself...

Finn :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finn said:
Wow $1250 that sounds painfull :( That sounds like the lights that come on when you first turn the ignition key during the check cycle.
yes, quite painful

The central warning and charging light were the only ones that stayed on though. It wasn't until I had driven a few blocks that the other lights started turning on, but they didn't all turn on simultaneously.

How long I should leave the battery disconnected?

X

·
0 Posts
Sorry I thought that they had stayed on from kick off. I have no idea that dis-connecting the battery will make any difference but I its worth a try. Try 10 mins. Please bear in mind this is all guess work, I fear that it may well end up with a trip to the dealer to sort this one out :confused:

Finn :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll try disconnecting the battery but if that doesn't work then i guess i'll be giving my mechanic a call. the "dealership" will never touch my car again, they were very uninformative and disrespectful to say the least. the mechanic on the other hand was quite the opposite :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts