SaabCentral Forums banner

Warning and Brake System Light turning on...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ddeeble 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Lately, Ive noticed that when i come to hard stop (not screeching or anything but a quicker stop) the warning "!" light and the parking brake "P" light are coming on the dash. At the same time I hear a beep from the system, and then when the car stops completely the lights go away. This doesnt happen when coming to a normal slower stop. Has anyone had experience with this and is this normal? Im wondering if this is a precursor to my brakes needing to be replaced. Ive only owned my car for a few months, so maybe this is a safety system with the car that is telling me that i am stopping too fast? Sorry if this is a dumb question, as i also dont have the original owners manual to maybe look this up. Id appreciate any advice or help!

#4 ·
Agreed. However, you are going about this the wrong way around!

If there are no leaks or failings in the system, then topping up the system will not cure the low thickness of brake material on your shoes and pads. Worst case scenario - one day, you will find no friciton material at all, when you need it most. At least, you will find discs scored, and in need of replacement. Therefore, respectfully, I would suggest that pads and shoes should be inspected and, if necessary, replaced.

Also be aware that if you subsequently change the shoes and pads after topping up the fluids level, you will find that the fluid level in the master cylinder will likely overflow, causing a nice mess of your engine bay.

HTH

#7 ·
My '02 Viggen does the same thing when I'm taking particularly tight turns at higher-that-advisable speeds. I checked my pads and rotors - perfect shape. Checked brake fluid - right up to the 'MAX' line. I think I've finally deduced the culprit - the sensor that determines brake fluid level is mounted to the side of the resevoir and under high lateral-g or hard decel, the fluid 'sloshes' away from the sensor, giving it the false reading that your fluid is low. Topping off the fluid prevents this because it prevents the 'slosh' from dipping down far enough to trigger the warning. I've left everything alone and call this little 'feature' my NOW WE'RE HAVING FUN gauge!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.