SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would make a build thread since I'm planning on going bankrupt with this car. For what it's worth, its an 03 5 speed linear, bought at 72k miles for $4700 in june. Completely stock when I bought it, nothing done to it whatsoever. I have big plans for the car and have already started, so stay tuned and lets see how long it'll take me to realize how much time and money I spent on this POS I dearly love lol

How she sat when it was stock aside from the window tints and my attempt at painting the rear bumper skirt. Also did HID's in this pic, but i'll post up on that in a bit :)

I have a LOT of parts for this car already, i'll write a post for each mod/purchase I make in this car. Any questions, feel free to ask. MOAR POWER!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
You should start by color coding the side skirts and front lip, so the back doesn't seem out of place. Besides that, good luck!;ol;

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should start by color coding the side skirts and front lip, so the back doesn't seem out of place. Besides that, good luck!;ol;
Already started with the rear bumper skirt, came out decent for a first timer! WIll do the rest once I finish peeling off the plasti-dip! Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright so the first thing I did was some maintenance. I changed out spark plugs for the Denso iridiums, changed the oil with mobil1 0w-40, and gave it a thorough brake inspection. I knew the rears were due immediately but was not happy with what I saw up front...

The friction material separated from the pad itself.:evil: And to think i was driving around like that for a good while without any noises or anything! I quickly replaced the front pads with a cheap $20 set without changing the rotors. I don't recommend doing this at all! At the very least, have your rotors machined if possible. I just replaced the pads because I had plans on replacing everything in the front in the very near future.

So for the rears, I ordered slotted/zinc plated rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

I also decided to clean up some of the rust/corrosion and paint the calipers.

Before:

Rust/corrosion cleaned up:

Caliper primered/painted with new rotor:

Took a while to break in the pads and the noise to quiet down, but well worth it. Fronts are due as soon as I get my new aero calipers!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where is your jack stand placed in that last pic? Looks dangerous....
Placed under the suspension arm on that side. Car was not resting on it, it was still on the jack. It was just there for safety measures in case it did fall off the jack. I know its not the right thing to do and I don't recommend it, but I was in a hurry to get everything on and get this side finished.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Placed under the suspension arm on that side. Car was not resting on it, it was still on the jack. It was just there for safety measures in case it did fall off the jack. I know its not the right thing to do and I don't recommend it, but I was in a hurry to get everything on and get this side finished.

Ah makes sense. I thought you were holding the car up like that. I do that too just as a failsafe in case it does fall, I'd rather break something in the car then crush myself

·
Registered
521 Posts
In the future, I would recommend using the jacking points in this diagram. The spots labeled "D" would have been what you wanted and it takes just as long to put the stand there as it did for you to put it under the suspension arm, with the added bonus of not damaging anything.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In the future, I would recommend using the jacking points in this diagram. The spots labeled "D" would have been what you wanted and it takes just as long to put the stand there as it did for you to put it under the suspension arm, with the added bonus of not damaging anything.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4936/liftpointshm2.png[MG][/quote]

Personally i do both. Jack points another another extra one under the suspension arm or somewhere else as a backup just in case.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you should make a trip up to Milwaukee sometime and I can get you some MOAR POWAH.
You're definitely the person I'll be going to for my tuning. We spoke a while back over the phone and I greatly appreciate the help you gave me. As soon as I do my td04 swap and finish it, I'll bring it by so you can do your magic!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Refinished Left Headlight and added 5000k HID's with Error cancelers, so far so good!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
very nice restore!
Nice progress so far and my BCB tune is great. ;ol;

The oxidation on the headlight was on the outside I take it?
how did you restore the oxidation?
Thanks!! Most of the oxidation was on the outside but a decent amount was on the inside as well. The headlights isn't Crystal clear but visibility is much better than before, especially with the new HIDs. And I used the 3m kit with an air drill, a lot easier then wet sending by hand

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3 Inch intercooler with 3 inch piping. I don't recommend 3 inch piping at all, use 2.5". With the 3" piping, turbo lag is much more noticeable. My IAT's are significantly lower than before, no heat soak at all after a number of hard pulls! I made my own brackets, there's no way in hell I was gonna let the intercooler rest on the P/S cooler brackets like others on the forum have.

When my fall semester ends, I"m going to be welding/making my own custom 2.5" piping from the turbo all the way to the throttle body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts