SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as many of you know have a stage 4 e85 auto tune, and i want more power! I was to go stage 5 maybe even stage 6, but need to make my tranny stronger so it can take the power and last! And before everyone starts bashing the auto this is something I want to do, I dont want a convert to manual or anything I just want a strong auto box. I know it will be expenisve to do but am willing to pay for it over the next year or so. So first question is what can be done to a auto trans to help make it strong? Ive heard of cryoing the gears and clutch packs but i honestly dont even know what that means( if someone could please explain that would be great), also can you put a better torque converter in? Or anything else that can be changed to make it better, I dont know much about transmissions but am willing to learn for this project. Can a 95 auto trans be fitted to my 9-3 if so what needs to be done? what needs to be changed? I am going to call around some trans shops today after work and see if anyone can be of any help, but if you guys could tell me somethings to ask them if they can do, that would be great. I would like to be able to make 400ft lbs. I know i didnt give much to be answered so thats why I ask if anyone knows anything that needs to be done to help make it strong please chime in with your words of wisdom. Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
there are a couple of guys at stage5 with an auto
you need to tune for it, keep a very smooth gradual torque curve and you should be fine

cryogenic is literally freezing the gears (usually with the use of liquid nitrogen)
this makes the molecules in the metal compact to a much tighter fashion, thus making the metal stronger (im giving you a very simple explanation).

400tq is achievable at the crank... it will be tough to get that much to the wheels in the auto (not impossible though, depending on how deep your pocket goes)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are a couple of guys at stage5 with an auto
you need to tune for it, keep a very smooth gradual torque curve and you should be fine

But do you think the trans will last, and would it handle hard accelerations from a stop? I want to be able to go to the drag strip with out fear of not being able to leave in my car once I get there.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
In addition to strengthening any internal components possible, I'd also add a more robust transmission cooler.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have been looking into the t5 suite tuning for this. I think you can limit the torque in lower gears. These cars are made for over taking at highway speeds anyway.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm already planning on that, i just need these things(I don't know wht it's called) that go in place of the old banjo bolts and locks into position and there's a end to add a hose so I can connect to the new cooler. I want to do it like that so I don't have to cut the old lines and can always go back stock if I want, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about above please let me know

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Let me know what you work out with regards to the cooler, I've been considering adding one but haven't pursued any research on it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm already planning on that, i just need these things(I don't know wht it's called) that go in place of the old banjo bolts and locks into position and there's a end to add a hose so I can connect to the new cooler. I want to do it like that so I don't have to cut the old lines and can always go back stock if I want, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about above please let me know
Easiest solution is to get banjo fittings with hose barbs -- very common. Could always cut the hoses from a wreck in a breakers yard, cut the retaining sleeve off the fitting and remove the old hose and use the original fittings.

More exotic in the US would be metric parallel fittings with hose barbs.

Prettiest solution would be go to go with "red/blue" fittings. Start with banjo fittings with JIC flare fittings, then add JIC flare to hose barb or even formal hydraulic hose fittings for that extra clean race car look. Less expensive steel pieces are also available in the same sizes.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'd call around to some performance shops as well as some companies that deal with after market transmission parts like B&M for example and see if they sell upgrade kits. I second the trans cooler. Get a big one meant for towing and stick a 10" fan on it, and have it set to come on with a thermostat. This will help the trans last longer as heat won't be as much of an enemy. Run the BEST fluid you can find. Consider getting a higher stall converter. If you can't find an actual aftermarket unit, consider getting a stock converter reworked. Higher stall puts the engine in it's power band quicker, making the car very fast off the line, but more of a gas hog. There might be better auto boxes from Europe too. Usually heavier cars have a little more beef to them, so it might be possible to find an actual unit from a 9-5 (using that as an example ONLY) that might have more strength.

At the very least, a trans cooler is a must. I'd even go so far as to say stick a temp gauge on it to monitor fluid temps as you can catch trouble early. Also, find out what typically breaks on them and be proactive with upgrading those parts first.

It won't be cheap, and because most cars that people thrash on are manual trans, it won't be easy to find upgrade parts if they exist- at least not as easy as say a C4, AODE, Ford or a TH400 Chevy for example.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think this is a crazy post.. I encourage it ;-)

I know you are asking about upgrading the tranny here, and I am sorry to highjack the thread. Has anyone been able to install a LSD to an automatic tranmission?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I realize that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but what downfalls could you possibly see from converting to manual? I only see positive gains... and with the time you spend researching strengthening an autobox you could easily just be pulling out the autobox to swap in a manual one (for much, much less).

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what is everything you need to swap in a manual trans? no bodys can help me or seems like dont want to help me with this so its starting to rain on my parade

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
what is everything you need to swap in a manual trans? no bodys can help me or seems like dont want to help me with this so its starting to rain on my parade
Off the top of my head on parts needed for an auto to manual swap you need:

Manual trans
both axles
Flywheel
clutch & pressure plate
throw out bearing
pilot bearing (if these even have one that is)
hydraulic clutch line and associated parts OR go with a cable set up from a NG900
passenger, trans, rear engine mounts
Clutch pedal assembly and brake pedal from manual
shifter assembly
linkage for trans to shifter
possibly need the manual's harmonic dampener to match the flywheel
ECM tuned to the manual engine

Easiest way would be find a running 9-3 with a manual someone is parting out or selling for $500 or less. When I did one of my old Mustangs, I bought an 86' for $500 and swapped everything over on a weekend. Including pedal assemblies, cleaning the flywheel, etc. Was about 10 years ago though and I don't have that kind of enthusiasm anymore :cheesy: Did the 8.8 rear axle swap too :)

Another option would be to find a manual car in good shape and swap over all your stuff onto that car, then sell your current car.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
very good link now i need to get lucky like him and find a $500 manual and i would definalty do this, would be cheaper prob and easier well kinda

1 - 20 of 33 Posts