SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my first Saab. A 2002 9-5 linear wagon. Very nice car. I wanna increase boost in this car for a lil more "go fast".:cheesy: What would be the easiest and cost effective way to do this. The car is bone stock. Would it be as simple as swapping turbos? I've never had a boosted car before. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
The easiest thing is to use the search function or look at the stickies and you will see what everyone recommends.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Assuming you now have the stock Garrett GT17 turbo, you will get a large increase in power if you switch to a Mitsubishi TD04-15t turbo (stock on the B235R Aero and B235L engines) and an Aero tune on your ECU from a tuner like stopsign. I recently did it to my 2003 Linear. I bought a worn-out TD04 from a 9-3 owner in the SC classifieds to use as a core, and brought it to a turbo rebuilder in my area. I meant to just get it rebuilt, but the guy had a TD04-19t (bigger compressor wheel) sitting on the shelf so I went home with that. I also bought a used T7 ECU here in the classifieds and got an Aero Stage 1 tune on it.

The GT17 and TD04 are quite similar, but there are some differences. The oil supply line and its banjo bolts are identical. The oil return line is different but they are interchangeable. The foot stomper here is the coolant lines. The Garrett uses 14mm banjo bolts and the TD04 uses 12mm banjo bolts, but otherwise the lines are the same. You can either go on Eeuro and buy the Aero coolant lines and banjos, or you can reuse the Linear cooling lines if you get this Kinugawa adapter kit. It comes with 12mm banjo bolts and special copper washers that allow you to use the original coolant lines. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Don't change out the turbo so fast. If you start to tuen you will need a full 3" Exhaust to go stage III and above so here is what I did and a pretty good paln to slowly get to monster pwoer.

1. Stage 1 tune on your current turbo, it feels nicer and is noticable.
2. Now add a 3" cat back and stage II tune
3. Now add the 3"' DP and intercooler, stage II is pretty cool on that turbo, there is practically no lag and it runs out of puff at higher RPM but that's not where you drive most often anywhat
4. Swap out the turbo for the TD04...
5 Now build the engine a bit, in order to go bigger power

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know of a website that has an aftermarket downpipe? all I can find are the stainless 3". I don't care about the bling I just want a 3" downpipe for when I put in my exhaust??? thanks for the help:lol:

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
does anyone know of a website that has an aftermarket downpipe? all I can find are the stainless 3". I don't care about the bling I just want a 3" downpipe for when I put in my exhaust??? thanks for the help:lol:
Stainless in not for bling, it is rust proof...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Stainless in not for bling, it is rust proof...
Word. The stainless downpipe darkens up quite nicely due to the heat anyway. Bling? I can't think of add-on more hidden than the DP.

Gotta say though, that Krona 3" downpipe, it's art. Almost a shame to have it so hidden.

Get this sorted yet?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
SaabCentral guy 'brewtide' has a thread from a year ago in which he was making some aluminized steel downpipes for the 9-5. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355530 Might want to ask him if he's still selling them.

Otherwise your options are Krona via Brew City Boost, Taliaferro on Genuinesaab.com, or the JT one from Sweden that MapTun sells. All of those are $500+.

I have some stock in my garage, but I am moving at the end of the month. To be fair, I fell through with the idea this year (again...) just due to life.

That being said, it is apparent that I was correct in seeing 'demand' for a functional, less expensive aluminized option out there. I've built only one for my car and a few for friends (catless) but they have held up great. Mine had been on now for a bit over a year (if not more?) and has survived the Maine salt/snow/calcium very nicely. I imagine the piece will last a solid 5-6 years in such a harsh climate until perhaps something starts to get pokey, if not longer.

Depending on weather conditions this November, I may be able to get a run of 4 or 5 of them out. In the move we're gaining purchasing a house, but I'm losing my heated garage and moving my 'workspace' into a large open-faced car port -- we'll see how comfy it is for constructing things in the winter! (Ie, it's welcome back to the cold!)

Cheers,
Benjamin

PS. Thanks for the reference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts