SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I entreaty someone to take a photo of their 9-5 wagon with the seats down, and measurements of the tailgate opening?

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Not exactly what you are looking for but I can tell you that the bottom of the rear seats folds forward, the back of the rear seats goes down to open up the entire trunk. I will say the front seats do have to come forward for this to happen, making driving less comfortable for me (I am 6 feet tall if that helps).

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome - this great. I'm okay with the loss of front legroom - it's been a "problem" with Saabs since the c900 days (although NOT with the 9000!) … I'm trying to get a sense of whether this is a comfortable traveling scenario for my dog! The OG9-3 does not have anything approaching a flat floor, and the 9-3SC does not have a flat floor AND has a low roof, so neither is a good fit for the puppy. :)

Now I just need a floor to ceiling height on the car, and a paw to head height on the dog! :)

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Floor to ceiling height is 29" in the wagon. I also have a 1997 900, so I know how awful that car's folding seat arrangement is. The 9-5 wagon's is far superior. I'm nearly 6' tall, and I don't have to slide the front seat forward at all when I fold down the rear seats. I may sit a little closer to the steering wheel than some, though, after years of driving '80s Hondas. I have to cram myself almost all the way forward when I put down the seats in my 900. The seat bottoms are also easily removed on the 9-5. You pull a bright red clip, which is conveniently tethered to the seat, unplug the seat heater plug, slide the seat about 1/2" to one side, and it pops out. The 9-5 wagon also has a cool optional retractable cargo/pet net that can be used when the seats are folded down or when they're up. There are two sets of anchors in the headliner, one set for each position. There was also a metal pet barrier, similar to the one offered for the NG900/9-3, that only fits with the seats up. I have the retractable and the fixed ones, and they're both very handy.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Yeah, the NG900/9-3 is not really great. I'll take folding seats over non-folding seats any day, but in terms of utility it's really not there.... especially not when the c900/9000 were So Good. 29" isn't great, but isn't bad.

I keep trying to find a way to drive the Suburban less, but we take the dog everywhere and it's great for that. Aside from the floor/ceiling issues, the big problem with not driving the Suburban is that she wouldn't have anywhere to sit.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
That's a big puppy! The 9-5 isn't a very tall car, so I can see how it might not be ideal for your dog. My parents have a pair of old Honda Civic wagons, back when they were considerably taller than the other models. One's an '84, with the greatest folding seat arrangement I've ever seen. You can pop out the rear seat bottoms, fold the front passenger's seatback down completely flat, and you have a flat floor from the dashboard to the tailgate. Their other one is an '89, which was a new model, and Honda took quite a few steps backwards with that car's rear seats, sort of like the C900 to NG900 folding seat debacle.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I call her puppy, but she's a 55lb 12 year old dog. :) She does love riding in cars, though!

Interesting fact: Honda brought back that folding seat arrangement in the Fit.

There have been a few permutations over the life of the Fit, but the flat floor extending to the front seats has survived.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Very cool, and it doesn't even require that the rear seat bottoms come out! This is the stuff that Saab could have learned from. I appreciate that the NG900 and 9-3 had that enormous heavy steel beam across the top of the rear seats that doubled as crash protection and a seat belt anchor, but there were obviously better ways, and man, did it make for an awkward floor. I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the headrests or the plastic trim when the seats are folded down in that car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have to say that, while not particularly tall, the 9-5 wagon's cargo area is amazingly long. And this measurement is with the front driver's seat set in a comfortable position for my 5'11 frame.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I was able to haul two twin-sized mattresses in my wagon with the hatch closed after taking out the rear seat bottoms. I don't think very many SUVs could even haul something that long.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is 100% about the dog's comfort and not mine. :D I work hard so my dog can have a better life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts