SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[font=Arial, Helvetica]120 not-so-standard features. [font=Arial, Helvetica]One all new German engineered Passat.[/font]

The all-new, completely redesigned 2006 Passat is available and it's packed with innovative features like an air-cooled glove box, pollen and odor filter and a push-button parking brake. Take a test drive at your Local area Volkswagen dealer.

[/font]http://www.vwnh.com/en_US/HomePage_1.chtml

The 9-5 has had it since the beginning. :p And I remember that my previous 1995 9000 already had pollen & odor filter:p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Except the Germans probably found a way to make it actually work. :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
Granted VW had made a name of themselves over the past 5 years or so, not to mention iconic cars of the past like the Bug, Karmann Ghia and the lot...

...but I still think they're trying too hard. Especially with the new Jetta and Passat. They've just lost the personality they once had.

Yeah, I know. Off-topic. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
how so? they are making the people's care have the features the the people want. its an alternative to more expensive european cars. it provides good safety, comfort, and luxury with performance at a price that is reasonable. the japanese have cheap interiors in thier non luxury classes, such as the camry's and accord's. sure they might look nice, but when have you seen japanese interiors last as long as european's?

i used to own a 00 passat and the car was amazing. vw had cars that didn't need constant refreshing and that is still the case.

btw, it had an aircooled glove box in previous generations as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh, I'm not knocking the previous generations. I almost bought a 2000 Passat before getting my 9-5. I think the newer generation VWs are losing sight of their original philosophy of being the "People's Car" Porsche made Volkswagen generations ago to be a cheap but well-built alternative to the more expensive counterparts.

Then out comes the Phaeton and the Touareg. I love the Touareg, but it's pricey IMO. $52k for the top-spec and it's a VW. I dunno, I love the car, but it's strong money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i must admit that the phaeton and toureg were a little ridiculous. they should've sold the toureg under audi imo. or just scrapped that and make a "economy" version of the pikes peak quattro.
i still feel the passat and jetta are people's cars. so much packaged into these cars. suspension and body is strong for the price. new beetle is a little pricey too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thankfully the GTi is still amazing to me. I'd get one, in red.:cheesy:

I never thought of the Touareg as an Audi... that'd have been better. Audi A7 or something. Heh.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
did either of you find the 9-5 seat akward after having the vw? we used to have a passat here with the 9-5 before its lease was up and i could never quite get comfortable in teh 9-5 but the passat was always perfect for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's the opposite with me. I've never found a comfortable spot in any VW I've been in (Passat, Jetta, EuroVan, Cabrio) with the exception of the Golf. Not sure why though.

I can never sit comfortably in our Merc ML or our Volvo S40. I usually come out of that car after a ride with some sort of back or neck ache.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would view VW, Alpha Romeo, Volvo, etc as direct Saab rivals and as such the new Passat lines up very well. I personally dont like the Passat's front styling and prefer the Golf/Jetta 'face' but its a very competitive package being a step above the Fords, Opel/Vauxhalls, Peugeots etc

Saab keep kidding themselves on that they compete directly with BMW, Audi, Mercedes but that is really stretching the imagination.

Have a serious look at all those brands and you will find that the quality, reliability, cost and specification on a like for like basis, Saab are really getting ahead of themselves against some very stiff competition and rebranding other GM vehicles as Saabs isn't going to give the answer...

I genuinely believe that the Passat has raised the bar again (just like the previous model), by offering some featues that are normally reserved for executive saloons with rock solid VW engineering. When my current 9-5 is past its best GM better pull something spectacular out the hat for the next model as another face-lift or re-badge effort just wont get my money.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have driven VWs for years and I have been very big in the VW tuning world for a little while now. A couple months ago I picked up a 99 Saab 9-5 V6. I have absolutely fallen in love with it. What a great car. The little things here and there make such a difference. Comfortable, powerful, sporty, great highway cruiser. I love my VR6 Jetta and have considered Passats along with Audis. I will probably stay in the VW/Audi family for at least one car to toy with but I have been overly impressed with my 9-5. Now this is all based on my 1999 model. I have only driven my 99 and a 2006 9-3 2.0t. I was fairly disappointed with the new Saab and if I were comparing new car to new car, I would choose a 2006 VW/Audi. God, I love European cars!

BTW...if you haven't driven one of the Audi A3's with DSG...I would highly suggest taking a test run. That is one sweet car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a 2000 vw New Beetle before I got my 9-5. It was a great little car and boy was it fun on the twisty roads. I would still have it if we had the space (we have a two car garage, now with two saabs! My new 9-5 and my wifes 9-3ss). I sold the bug with 101,000 miles on it. The seats where very good, which was a surprise as your first impression is that they are a bit hard, but you can sit on them all day and not get tired. Over all it was a very reliable car as has been the case with our 9-3 also. The bug did have one annoying problem, if you let it sit for a week or more the battery would drain. There where lots of posts on the internet with this issue. As it was my daily drive it was only an issue if I went on vacation.

I miss my Bug...but I do looove my new Saab! It has a great ride/fun to drive,lots of space, scandinavian design and those seats!! :D

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
bug

yes there was a beetle as well before the passat. my brother drove it for awihle and liked to do donuts in it during winter here because of the short wheelbase. terribly uncomfortable having to get in the back, and the fabric seats absorbed a strange combination of must and strong air fresheners but overall it was a good car ot drive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hyundai also has amazing new tec. It has active head restraints now. Honestly that kinda pisses me off that a HYUNDAI Sonata has the active head rest. It almost cheapen's the Saab name. Maybe its jus me.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i remember the day hyundai used to suck. we were at the 05 auto show this year in winter and my brother got in a hyundai and said, "well you know a car sucks when you cant adjust the wheel." nothing was powered and god knows what the smelll was in the thing despite the fact it was brand new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts