SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally dyno'd Stage 1 and put down a peak of 307.5 hp at the wheels on pump gas (93 octane). 15% correction from the wheels to the crank is 361.7hp! The attached run is the last one I made (11 pulls in 1.5 hrs) So it is down a few ponies due to heat soak, but still held up good run after run. Intake temps were 100F at the start of the run #11 and peaked at 124F at the end of the run.

Stage 1 provides an Average increase of 100 hp over stock over the usable RPM range!

Wicked results- I will have the tune up on the site for sale in a couple weeks. I just need to get my inventory set up before I take any orders.

I hope to see some folks at Carlisle Saturday if we do not get rained out!

Cheers,
VTuner

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
So I finally dyno'd Stage 1 and put down a peak of 307.5 hp at the wheels on pump gas (93 octane). 15% correction from the wheels to the crank is 361.7hp! The attached run is the last one I made (11 pulls in 1.5 hrs) So it is down a few ponies due to heat soak, but still held up good run after run. Intake temps were 100F at the start of the run #11 and peaked at 124F at the end of the run.

Stage 1 provides an Average increase of 100 hp over stock over the usable RPM range!

Wicked results- I will have the tune up on the site for sale in a couple weeks. I just need to get my inventory set up before I take any orders.

I hope to see some folks at Carlisle Saturday if we do not get rained out!

Cheers,
VTuner
Where's the torque? And when can I have stage2? lol

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
i want v6 now...
300+whp is rediculous for a saab, and by redic. i mean f^%*&% awesome

·
Registered
170 Posts
Brian,

I assume the lower HP in the bottom of the RPM chain is mostly due to a larger turbo and it's inertia at spool up ? As much as I love winding up the engine (when there's something to be had), I do love using the low end under 2000 as well. Or maybe there's more to it .. like temp etc etc.

Almost got my 9000 sold ... :) .. you know what that means :>)

Barry

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Brian,

I assume the lower HP in the bottom of the RPM chain is mostly due to a larger turbo and it's inertia at spool up ? As much as I love winding up the engine (when there's something to be had), I do love using the low end under 2000 as well. Or maybe there's more to it .. like temp etc etc.

Almost got my 9000 sold ... :) .. you know what that means :>)

Barry
Here are larger graphs, HP and Torque.

Barry- The spool up is the same (look at the slope of the line,not when it begins) The Stage 1 is offset is due to the starting rpm for the pull. I was rolling static at 2000rpm in 4th gear when I began that run, on the Stage 0 and Stock pulls I was rolling static at 1500rpm at the start.

Cheers,
VTuner

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
A little better than Stage 0, but truthfully... In spending the $$ on a turbo swap, I'd expect to spool a little later, and make more power up top. Of course, that may be pushing it with a FWD car... This is certainly an improvement.

I would like to see a dyno where you start the run at 1500, FWIW. Right now, it "looks" like Stage 1 is only an improvement >3k rpms. I'd like to see what the low-rpm behavior is (2000-2500 is a common range to run these engines at in DD).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Still no love for the 4 bangers huh? Bummer..
I don't know why people keep asking this question... Engine Management is VERY different between these two cars. Lessons learned are different between the different configurations. This wouldn't be a simple transition for him... It's not like he's just opening up a software app and dialing up the boost...

·
Registered
170 Posts
bad dog, bad dog, whatcha gonna do :)

At least it helps me understand all this stuff. Id love to see a real dyno of an XWD configuration so I know what we loose ... Does the place you use even support such a configuration ?

Thanks for your hard (fun) work

Barry

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little better than Stage 0, but truthfully... In spending the $$ on a turbo swap, I'd expect to spool a little later, and make more power up top. Of course, that may be pushing it with a FWD car... This is certainly an improvement.

I would like to see a dyno where you start the run at 1500, FWIW. Right now, it "looks" like Stage 1 is only an improvement >3k rpms. I'd like to see what the low-rpm behavior is (2000-2500 is a common range to run these engines at in DD).
Here is an earlier run where I started at 1500 rpm

Cheers
VTuner

Attachments

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)!!!!!:):)!!!!!;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good lord.

I envy you V6 guys. If only the 4-cylinder engine was a bit more mod friendly I wouldn't sell my car. :/

Good luck all you V6 guys...time to empty your wallets. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
"A little better than Stage 0, but truthfully... In spending the $$ on a turbo swap"

Brian, can you verify if stage 1 is a turbo swap, or a modified stock turbo? I figured it was just a clipped turbine or something.

When are the est. prices going to be put out? I just bought new project this weekend so itll be awhile before I can upgrade, but itll be good to know my savings goal in advance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
"A little better than Stage 0, but truthfully... In spending the $$ on a turbo swap"

Brian, can you verify if stage 1 is a turbo swap, or a modified stock turbo? I figured it was just a clipped turbine or something.

When are the est. prices going to be put out? I just bought new project this weekend so itll be awhile before I can upgrade, but itll be good to know my savings goal in advance.
Uses a larger 19T compressor. Original TD04L turbine.

I dont think brian has said if this will be a core-return type deal or if it will be a complete upgrade. I'd wager you'll send your turbo to blouch and it will come back with the bigger wheel on it.

That said I'll make sure mine comes back with at least a 20G wheel... I would think a bigger turbine would be a good idea though too, at least if we plan for beyond stage 1/2, that 19T will tap out at the upper range of whatever stage 2 will be as well I'm sure. It's not a large upgrade but it definately does have a big bump in power.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts