SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

using 15% drivetrain loss gives 304hp/377lb-ft at the engine. On the road I still see over 5% more airflow than on the dyno and expect the actual power is in excess of 320hp.

93 Octane fuel, 20psi boost, Super 16T turbo upgrade, 60# injectors, K&N panel filter, Denso IKH22 iridiums - everything else is stock.

I will reduce the final torque and boost at lower rpms a bit to yield a flat torque curve - these runs were to test the limits of the Spec clutch - no slip at all at 377+ lb-ft!

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is awesome. Both you and John are ****ing amazing.

Questions:

I (eventually) want to do a 16-T TD04 swap on my Linear, along with injectors, intake and exhaust. Would you be able to tune it?

If you could, would the 5-speed tranny handle it?

Don't you need to go with forged internals near the 300hp mark?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That is awesome. Both you and John are ****ing amazing.

Questions:

I (eventually) want to do a 16-T TD04 swap on my Linear, along with injectors, intake and exhaust. Would you be able to tune it?

If you could, would the 5-speed tranny handle it?

Don't you need to go with forged internals near the 300hp mark?
The 6spd boxes are weak and considerably more difficult to get parts for. The 400BHP Maptun uses a 5spd and yes, it really should be forged internals after 300BHP to be safe.

The numbers look great, but for how long?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tuning the B207l 2.0t linear to the same specification should not be a problem and the 5-spd can handle the torque if you upgrade the stock clutch.

Vision i.T Services - why do you say the F40 6spd is weak? I have tuned hundreds of these to over 400 lb-ft (some over 500lb-ft) and have not seen one fail yet in over 4 years. I have only heard of one AF40-6 failing (the automatic 6spds), but that was likely due to abuse as per the owner's opinion.

Regarding the internals - I am currently in agreement that the internals should be upgraded if you go much beyond 300hp.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tuning the B207l 2.0t linear to the same specification should not be a problem and the 5-spd can handle the torque if you upgrade the stock clutch.

Vision i.T Services - why do you say the F40 6spd is weak? I have tuned hundreds of these to over 400 lb-ft (some over 500lb-ft) and have not seen one fail yet in over 4 years. I have only heard of one AF40-6 failing (the automatic 6spds), but that was likely due to abuse as per the owner's opinion.

Regarding the internals - I am currently in agreement that the internals should be upgraded if you go much beyond 300hp.

Cheers,
Brian

Roger. Selling my kidney now.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Brian,

Can you tune for 91 octane (I have crappy gas where Im at)
If so, what would be an estimate for HP and TQ on a 5-sp auto slushbox?

Tnx

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian,

Can you tune for 91 octane (I have crappy gas where Im at)
If so, what would be an estimate for HP and TQ on a 5-sp auto slushbox?

Tnx
Tuning for 91 octane should not be a problem, but it can be difficult to predict the reduction in the final output - based on my experience I would guesstimate ~5-10% drop in power on 91 after optimizing the timing and boost for 91 octane.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
420 Posts
This type of 2.0T tune closes the gap on even a tuned 2.8T...

150hp & 190lb-ft /L is pretty impressive output.

Hmmm. Should I have gotten a 2.0 instead....:(

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Tuning for 91 octane should not be a problem, but it can be difficult to predict the reduction in the final output - based on my experience I would guesstimate ~5-10% drop in power on 91 after optimizing the timing and boost for 91 octane.

Cheers,
Brian
Thanks, is the torque still limited to 288 or whatever it is? (on the 5-sp auto of course)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice numbers.

I've seen a few posts like this and I am not sure where people get this idea.

The same type of upgrades on a 2.8L make 80 more hp and 100 more ft-lbs of toque.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Brian,

With those number, your still on the stock exhaust and downpipe? How much for the whole setup , cant remember your price. You can get back to me in Pm if you prefer

thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks, is the torque still limited to 288 or whatever it is? (on the 5-sp auto of course)
Yes, it is generally recommended that the 5spd auto is limited to less than 290lb-ft.

I did find information from Aisin that states the maximum gearbox torque for this transmission (AF33-5) is 376lb-ft, which is actually higher than the 6spd automatic rating of 295lb-ft.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes, it is generally recommended that the 5spd auto is limited to less than 290lb-ft.

I did find information from Aisin that states the maximum gearbox torque for this transmission (AF33-5) is 376lb-ft, which is actually higher than the 6spd automatic rating of 295lb-ft.
Thanks Brian, appreciate the quick response. Is it still the same price you sent me a while back?

</Starts saving for upgrade>

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
using 15% drivetrain loss gives 304hp/377lb-ft at the engine. On the road I still see over 5% more airflow than on the dyno and expect the actual power is in excess of 320hp.

93 Octane fuel, 20psi boost, Super 16T turbo upgrade, 60# injectors, K&N panel filter, Denso IKH22 iridiums - everything else is stock.

I will reduce the final torque and boost at lower rpms a bit to yield a flat torque curve - these runs were to test the limits of the Spec clutch - no slip at all at 377+ lb-ft!

Cheers,
Brian
Brian,

I started looking for the denso's and seem to be difficult to find in the usual outlets (oreillys, autozone, etc). What do you think of the NGK BKR6EIX which are also iridium?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I want..... I've been around this 5spd auto for the past couple of saab's I honestly think it can take this kind of power with proper maintenance

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I want..... I've been around this 5spd auto for the past couple of saab's I honestly think it can take this kind of power with proper maintenance

And a aftermarket tranny cooler. Torque makes heat, heat kills trannies. Keep ur trams fluid cool and u'll b in good shape

·
Registered
943 Posts

150hp & 190lb-ft /L is pretty impressive output.

Its not the peak power you're looking at, especially if you want to do runs between a 2.0 and a 2.8. The area under the graph gives a big edge to the 2.8 if the peak numbers are the same.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice numbers.

I've seen a few posts like this and I am not sure where people get this idea.

The same type of upgrades on a 2.8L make 80 more hp and 100 more ft-lbs of toque.
Stage 1 2.8T is 57 hp and 52 lb-ft more.

Factor in a slightly higher weight, lower fuel economy, and upfront higher cost on the 2.8, and the benefits slim further. Sure, the 2.8 should still prove quicker.

I assume the 2.8 can handle the higher loads more readily, so at least it has durability in its favor.

Still, looks like better tune improvement on the 2.0 than the 2.8...

Its not the peak power you're looking at, especially if you want to do runs between a 2.0 and a 2.8. The area under the graph gives a big edge to the 2.8 if the peak numbers are the same.
I didn't look closely at that, but I understand what you are saying. How much more 'area' is the 2.8 Stage 1 providing? 10%, 25%, 50%?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts