SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question regarding vtuner stage 0.... I've been thinking of getting it for ages now but am still doing a bit of research on what other companies are offering. After speaking to maptun uk and asking if they had heard of vtuner they told me the quoted numbers from vtuner are unreliable and that some stage 0 cars they had seen on the dyno only made 280bhp, thats a fair way off brians quoted 320bhp... so for those of you already running stage 0, have you found this to be the case?... Any reliability problems?... Is the stock intercooler coping?.. Thanks in advance for any insight guys and i hope it was'nt just a case of maptun money grabbing!...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
been tuned for ~35k miles and no real issues apart from the failing coilpacks (which happen even stock). other than that, oil and gas and smiles.

while it is true that sometimes the numbers are off (mine only put down 240 at the wheels ~280 flywheel), it differs car to car. Some make more, some less. automatics are usually restrained compared to manuals. But when you see videos of automatic stage 0 Vtuned cars beating out maptun stage 2 cars (roughly same output on paper) thats all the proof necessary (look up maptun55's videos on youtube). Maptun definitely offers a quality product though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i just hit 30k tuned and have had zero issues related to the tune.
(damn coolant expansion tank will be the death of me)
and just a thought, is a vtuner competitor going to give him glowing reviews?
probably not.
there are tons of threads on the site about how good/reliable/awesome the tune is.
are there other good tunes out there? sure, but it's hard to beat vtuner for hp and price.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm going on 30,000 miles as well and have had zero issues, coil packs haven't even gone bad yet. I tend to baby the car though (never punch it in first gear, only 2nd gear onwards)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The dealer I bought my Turbo X from works with Brian. I bought my TX with his Stage 0 tune. Although I've only had it for about a month, I doubt a dealer would be willing to do this if his tune wasn't solid and reliable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brian (vtuner) requests that you take a log of the car and send it to him prior to the tune, and after the tune. He takes seriously the state of the car prior and after. I took my logs using Torque app for Android and he took a varied list of items to monitor and he's looked at my logs probably a dozen times. I've had my tune now for about 2,000 miles and not only is it more fun to drive I do get more mph when my foot isn't in the floorboard. I haven't dyno'ed yet but I can at least state that currently I feel comfortable with how the car drives and performs, and the reliability.

for my T8 he sent two files, the stock and the tuned, so I can toggle back and forth at any time I want.

·
Registered
201 Posts
35,000km here with my VTuner stage 0 and absolutly no trouble. No coil pack or spark plug issues. The car definitly have the power Brian suggest. On the highway i outpull my friend Audi S4 V8 (340 hp) no problem ;)
I highly recommand any Saab 2.8T owner to have the car tuned by Vtuner. I am really hard on my car. the car have 75,000km and i am on my 4th set of tire :eek:, many time to the dragstrip, beat the hell of that engine every day and it take the abuse like a champ. ;ol;

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
For what it's worth, I have BSR and am perfectly happy. Tuned for 35,000 miles now with no problems. I think Vtuner is a slightly more agressive tune than BSR. Cheaper too. In the end, the 2.8t is a pretty stout motor so I wouldn't worry about reliability. I haven't heard of a single 2.8t failure (aside from coil packs).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been Vtuned for 30K and the only thing I had to do is re-gap the plugs and replace some ignitions coils which you have to do for every tune.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
For what it's worth, I have BSR and am perfectly happy. Tuned for 35,000 miles now with no problems. I think Vtuner is a slightly more agressive tune than BSR. Cheaper too. In the end, the 2.8t is a pretty stout motor so I wouldn't worry about reliability. I haven't heard of a single 2.8t failure (aside from coil packs).
Not in the Saab at least, have read about multiple SRX 2.8 failures due to operator error :lol:

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I were to get a remap, VTuner is the one I'd go for. Unfortunately with the current exorbitant Rand-USD exchange rate this is a merely a dream :confused:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've put almost 10k on my tune and it's fantastic. 119k on my 07 aero and still going strong!!

Also, what did you guys gap your plugs to? I'm probably going to replace mine soon, and that would be a good time to do it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
30k miles here with no issues. I did have coil pack problems early on but that normal for the 2.8 and tuning only make it more apparent.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had my car tuned by Brian during one of his "drive-by tune " trips thru the East Coast. This was in June 2011.

The good thing of him doing it on-site is that he did a baseline by capturing current data before my tune. He noticed a misfire on #4 but he said it wasn't bad and to have the spark plugs/coils checked. He went ahead and did my tune and I couldn't be more happier. I never did have #4 checked...cause I was just lazy..

Fast forward a year later and noticed my car starting to stutter at WOT. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad Turbo Boost Valve. They also saw that #4 was misfiring and replace that as well. Both was done under warranty. Since I only purchased the software tune from Brian and not the PPC, I took the car to the dealer tuned and they still replaced the parts under warranty.

With all that said, I am very happy customer of Brian. His work/skills is top notch and I'm looking forward to getting Stage 1 in the near future...as soon as my warranty ends...:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nothing but praise here too.....not only the gobs of additional power, but the drive by wire sensitivity and everything else he includes makes the car now drive exactly like I was expecting when I first heard about the car...really fun all day, even when driving like a human! Haha....

Sean

·
Registered
163 Posts
I actually do have one complaint......

He doesn't provide any type of Vtuner badges to go on the car. I am not actually fond of doing any type of "advertising" on my car but Vtuner is an exception... :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Add my voice to the VTune Rapture!

I've never had a coil problem either (there was one fleeting CEL, about 2 years ago, that corrected itself, never returned).

Hasten to add that I have equal respect for Maptun (with, as noted here many times, a GF's 2.0T w Maptun Stage 1). If I lived within a 1000 miles of Örebro [Maptun HQ, Sweden] I would be down there, having various stages added to, onsite. Nothing beats The Tuner able to Lay Hands Upon:). As a matter of fact, what better reason than to make a trip to Trollhattan (Museum) with Maptun segue thereafter :cool:. As an Englishman you have no excuse! :lol:

[And if I lived within a day of Taliaferro, dare say I'd do the same with him! ;ol;].

Did I mention that I'm venturing to Brian next week to have Stage 1 (w 19T) and GS downpipe installed onsite? ;ol;;ol;

1 - 20 of 48 Posts