SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the vtuner is a bsr-style tuner that basically has a preconfigured tune to push into the 2.8T engine. Correct?

So what is this vcm suite on hptuner.com? It has the saab 2.8T listed as a compatible engine. Does this mean that I can buy the vcm suite and do my own custom tune? Any help on this topic would be excellent. If that's the case, I'm VERY excited!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
VTuner is Brian's own tune, except he bundles it with the VCM suite, so you can log, and change parameters if you like. Not a bad price for what you get if you ask me :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah...so I get a base(performance) tune, as well as all the tools to make modifications myself?

Anybody with vtuner please feel free to chime in...

As a side note, it's interesting that you're from the north shore Aleki. I live in mansfield where the comcast center(tweeter center, great woods) is, about 10 minutes from gillette stadium. Small world.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yes you can buy Hptuners and tune your own v6. It is only a tool so you have to make the specific changes to the maps. You get credits to use enough for a couple cars. The credits are used when you commit to tune a vehicle you can read as many as you want. They are pretty easy compared to the 2.0/2.3 cars, at least for the basic tuning. But then again I do spend quite a bit of time in the dyno room..

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ah...so I get a base(performance) tune, as well as all the tools to make modifications myself?

Anybody with vtuner please feel free to chime in...

As a side note, it's interesting that you're from the north shore Aleki. I live in mansfield where the comcast center(tweeter center, great woods) is, about 10 minutes from gillette stadium. Small world.
A good amount of us on the boards are from New England. It wouldnt surprise me if NE owns the greater population of SAAB's in the US ;)

As for the VTuner program, It's awsome! Night and day difference. The only drawback is that you will have to commit to using 93 octane, as this tune is much less forgiving than the stock program. Also, if you have rough roads, you will need to watch your foot a little, else the tires will start barking as they struggle to keep grip. Brian was able to pull 4.4sec 0-60 with the stage 0 tune; while I havent tried to do a run from a dig, I definitely believe him!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you can buy Hptuners and tune your own v6. It is only a tool so you have to make the specific changes to the maps. You get credits to use enough for a couple cars. The credits are used when you commit to tune a vehicle you can read as many as you want. They are pretty easy compared to the 2.0/2.3 cars, at least for the basic tuning. But then again I do spend quite a bit of time in the dyno room..
Wow. THE Nick Taliaferro. Didn't think I'd get a response out of you, kinda like a local celebrity. In any case, if I were to purchase the VTuner package, would it include everything to get the stage 0 tune on there as well as modify maps, or do I need extra hardware/software? I have a friend that has free late-night access to a dyno, so I can safely tune my car. I'd really like to be able to do this and give something back to the community. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good amount of us on the boards are from New England. It wouldnt surprise me if NE owns the greater population of SAAB's in the US ;)

As for the VTuner program, It's awsome! Night and day difference. The only drawback is that you will have to commit to using 93 octane, as this tune is much less forgiving than the stock program. Also, if you have rough roads, you will need to watch your foot a little, else the tires will start barking as they struggle to keep grip. Brian was able to pull 4.4sec 0-60 with the stage 0 tune; while I havent tried to do a run from a dig, I definitely believe him!
Oddly enough, I have noticed MA members in the forums on a number of occasions. If the weather was nicer, I'd suggest meeting up so I can check out your tune. I'm very interested in getting together a custom tune, but would also like to check out the stage 0.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow. THE Nick Taliaferro. Didn't think I'd get a response out of you, kinda like a local celebrity. In any case, if I were to purchase the VTuner package, would it include everything to get the stage 0 tune on there as well as modify maps, or do I need extra hardware/software? I have a friend that has free late-night access to a dyno, so I can safely tune my car. I'd really like to be able to do this and give something back to the community. :)
Basically you download a copy of your stock tune to your laptop and email it to Brian, saving a copy for yourself. He modifies it and emails the upgrade back to you. You can discuss what you are looking for with Brian and he mods it for you. The included HP suite lets you do further mods if you feel comfortable with tweaking it. You can also datalog, send the results to Brian, and he can tweak it some more for you.
I am very happy with my stage 0 tune and will be upgrading to stage 1 in the future.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically you download a copy of your stock tune to your laptop and email it to Brian, saving a copy for yourself. He modifies it and emails the upgrade back to you. You can discuss what you are looking for with Brian and he mods it for you. The included HP suite lets you do further mods if you feel comfortable with tweaking it. You can also datalog, send the results to Brian, and he can tweak it some more for you.
I am very happy with my stage 0 tune and will be upgrading to stage 1 in the future.
Ya, maybe you misunderstood. I don't want someone else to tune my car. I want to tune it myself. I've tuned plenty of cars and the most expensive part is always the dyno time to do it right. I have access to one for FREE. I just want to make sure I get what it is I THINK I'm getting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ya, maybe you misunderstood. I don't want someone else to tune my car. I want to tune it myself. I've tuned plenty of cars and the most expensive part is always the dyno time to do it right. I have access to one for FREE. I just want to make sure I get what it is I THINK I'm getting.
I think HPtuners is what you are looking for. Most of us on here are happy to have Brian (Vtuner) offer the package with HPtuner and his own tune that he spent hours of dyno time on. The HPtuner standard package is $499 so for an additional $250 you get all of Brian's dyno time, support, and tuning support:D Even if you have the tuning experience, it might be worth it to get a good starting point for tuning a 2.8t (no need to re-invent the wheel).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think HPtuners is what you are looking for. Most of us on here are happy to have Brian (Vtuner) offer the package with HPtuner and his own tune that he spent hours of dyno time on. The HPtuner standard package is $499 so for an additional $250 you get all of Brian's dyno time, support, and tuning support:D Even if you have the tuning experience, it might be worth it to get a good starting point for tuning a 2.8t (no need to re-invent the wheel).
Well the original idea was to buy vtuner and try and get together some new and unique mods, then possibly sell these mods with a map to match. However, it's unclear to me whether I can do this with just the vtuner, or I have to purchase vcm suite separately?

Anyone who has vtuner, are you able to make changes to your tune with just the items you received?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Maybe everyone who is close to Brookline MA should come to the Swedish Car Day that's held at the Larz Anderson auto museum every October. Or we could all meet up somewhere else again too. :cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Maybe everyone who is close to Brookline MA should come to the Swedish Car Day that's held at the Larz Anderson auto museum every October. Or we could all meet up somewhere else again too. :cool:
I'm not opposed to that. Sounds like a good idea to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.