SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

AFRs are based on a tail-pipe sniffer after cats, so subtract 0.5 AFR for actual.

221whp/244wtq = approximately 250hp/280lb-ft at the crank (using 12% drivetrain loss for FWD Manual). Using 15% would be ~260hp/290lb-ft

All results are SAE corrected and smoothed (raw uncorrected values are ~5% higher)

Intake temps were around 85F at the start of the pull, then peaking around 145F. Peak boost was approximately 17psi.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't mean to sound like an idiot but what's the baseline for a car like this so that I can gauge the difference

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Alright you've got us interested! Now how much!?!? ;)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Dyno File

Pretty decent numbers you are putting down Brian. I like what you did with the V6, I am curious to see how this tune goes! Getting about 12 more HP than my JZW stage 1. is it possible for you to email me the dyno file? I would like to compare them against my stage 1 dyno that I have. If you can that would be great. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more of your 4cyl work!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
nice i like those #'s....what gear was this done on? 4th?

·
Registered
609 Posts
nice i like those #'s....what gear was this done on? 4th?

I put down 196hp, 219tq on a dynojet.

My mods at the time were a 40 dollar intake and a wilder mod set at 15psi.

+25hp and +24tq from mine.

Cant wait to see what the stage 3 has in store :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh boy do I want that!

If your ever looking for a test bed for the 2003 Arc/Vector with a BSR optiflow and BSR duplex exhaust, I'm one state over in NH. :cheesy:

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not have time on Tuesday to reflash and adapt for the baseline but I will collect one the next day I schedule on the dyno. We can overlay the 20T Stage 0 with my 2007 V6 Aero baseline from the same dyno which shows an interesting comparison:

My personal goal was to make the 20T outperform the stock 28T and the dyno data shows that has been accomplished quite nicely.

The only modifications were a new set of spark plugs (gapped to 0.9mm) and a K&N sport filter.

Saabstory- I will overlay your dyno graph if you send me your .drf file.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I put down 196hp, 219tq on a dynojet.

My mods at the time were a 40 dollar intake and a wilder mod set at 15psi.

+25hp and +24tq from mine.

Cant wait to see what the stage 3 has in store :)

196 stock?! That seems odd. I put down 182 bone stock on a dynojet, max PSI is 12 from the stock 14T...

·
Registered
609 Posts
196 stock?! That seems odd. I put down 182 bone stock on a dynojet, max PSI is 12 from the stock 14T...

I also had the wilder mod. I can take a picture of the stock dyno sheet if you want.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Whats the wilder mod? Sorry, not familiar with that ;oops:
Its a mod that a user by the name of Wilder did on his car that many copied, basically you put a resister in somewhere that would trick the car into not thinking it was at 12psi boost so you could run a manual boost controller and get more boost out of it. It was semi popular for awhile.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The curves are really impressive. However, I would like to ask Brian a question.

Most of the other well known tuning companies have a stage 1 with a peak hp value around 5000rpm. After that the hp curve falls rather sharply. Only Hirsch has a peak hp value above 5000rpm (at 5300).
How did you manage to have the hp rising after 5000 rpm and the curve being above 210 hp in the range 4600-6200 rpm?
That's quite an achievement. Are the stock turbo and exhaust capable of achieving such a performance at such high rpm?
(Of course feel free not to have the question answered if you don't want to.)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Do not use SAE correction on Turbo cars at high elevation!

Pretty decent numbers you are putting down Brian. I like what you did with the V6, I am curious to see how this tune goes! Getting about 12 more HP than my JZW stage 1. is it possible for you to email me the dyno file? I would like to compare them against my stage 1 dyno that I have. If you can that would be great. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing more of your 4cyl work!
Without getting into too much of a discussion (please use google and search on SAE and turbos) and not meaning to cause any offense, you should not use SAE correction for turbocharged cars at high elevation. I was careful to mention in my first post that the uncorrected numbers were 5% higher than SAE, but I am at sea level and presenting conservative information for my tuning ;)

At high altitude your turbo compensates significantly for the lower barometric pressure and will attempt to maintain the same target torque output. Yes, your peak power output will drop some, but SAE corrections are just more wrong than right in these instances. Trionic 8 adjusts torque output and attempts to compensate based on the barometric pressure sensor readings.

Here is the uncorrected dyno comparison of Saabstory34's dyno run with the JZW Tune overlayed with the VTuner Stage 0 20T dyno (also uncorrected).

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 20 of 63 Posts