SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im sure this has been discussed ad nausem here but after the search button yeilded nothing....

So you have the choice of the MP/Genuine/Abbott, and they vary somewhat wildly in price. Given some are stamped steel some are billet aluminum but the basic construction is the same. Whats the difference, pros cons, expeirence?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
in my experiance, the mp clamp was not very good ,but shortly after buying mine there was a recall cus the foamed rubber cushion came out also the brace is bolted to a not very stronge part of the inner wing but its cheep, the abbott one in my opinion is way over priced but is a good design and nicely made and the clamp fixes to a sronge part of the inner wing, but i have known them to be too tight on the rack causing problems with the streering going stiff, i have no experiance with genuine saab to comment.

i have a rack clamp & brace from another supplier fitted to my car

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have the MP clamp and brace and am not too satisfied. Ever since I put it on I have been getting some weird noises when I steer. I am convinced that the brace is hitting the rack on bumps. I do have a lowered car however, so this stresses the contact. I will be taking the brace off shortly. The clamp seems fine. I must have one of the later designs as it looks the same as when I put it on about 10k miles ago. I may eventually try the genuine brace or the abbott one if I notice a big difference after I take the MP one off. I would have to check with genuine to see if I could just buy the brace on its own though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with the Genuine Saab (Taliaferro) clamp and brace. I just didn't like the design of the MP Performance. The Genuine one is very similar to the Abbott at a fraction of the cost. The clamp is cast aluminum, and the brace is stainless steel. Easy install and the results are excellent.

I know there are lots of people with the MP set up and haven't heard any complaints about them. It probably just gets down to how much you want to spend and personal preferrence.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have the KIC/genuinesaab brace/clamp.

I chose it because at that time Mp was having problems with the rubber coming loose. As far as I know they have since solved that with better adhesive but I thought the design on the genuine saab clamp looked a bit more strong? so anyways, that's my story.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I get the impression it was genuine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I ordered from Genuine, I just couldnt stomach the 560 for the Abbott even though it looks to be the best design of the bunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts