SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. It is nice, and i think, that a tip top priced directly at the 9-3, will give Saab a very hard time.
It also was reported in the summer that the A4 vert has succesfully had a folding tin top fitted (on the current shape), and i wouldnt be surprised if the new 3 series has a folding metal jobby aswell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
no it cant be!!!!! the car is apparently based on ford focus. I bet they ll also build it in Belgium.

why wouldnt they use the in-house s60 platform? Trying to save a few bucks again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
uh oh....papa likes.


A vert with Volvo safety....hmmm. Better loking than the current version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
stryker said:
no it cant be!!!!! the car is apparently based on ford focus. I bet they ll also build it in Belgium.

why wouldnt they use the in-house s60 platform? Trying to save a few bucks again?
The platform used on the existing S60, V70 and S80 is about to be retired. The new S80 that will be presented in six months or so will be based on an extended version of the Focus / S40 / V50 / C70 / Mazda 3 platform. So will the next Ford Mondeo, a new Ford MPV, and undoubtedly the next Volvo V70. :confused:

I guess unique Volvo platforms are a thing of the past. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
would think that the top has added a lot of weight, so a 220bhp engine with the car that size could be quite boring to drive :( plus the lack of luggage space when the top comes down...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts
stryker said:
no it cant be!!!!! the car is apparently based on ford focus. I bet they ll also build it in Belgium.

why wouldnt they use the in-house s60 platform? Trying to save a few bucks again?
No because the Ford Focus Chassis is better than that of the S60!

The S60 has been around a lot longer than the current Ford Focus, therefore the chassis design is newer and if you had driven a Focus compared to the S60, you would know which is the better handling car, and it ain't the Volvo!

Everyone thinks Ford Focus=Cheap. What it really means is thaat because they sell so many, they can afford to spend more on development, which then gets shared out tol other vehicles.

The Volvo V50/S40 shares this floorpan, so you could just as easily say the C70 is based on the S40.

Also on this floorpan is the Mazda 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
That is not possible. If the Focus platform was better, than they would use it on the XC90, one of the best handling SUVs ever. Guess whats under it? The S60............

Blue oval sucks bigtime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Don't forget that the 9-3's platform mate, the Pontiac G6, will be getting a hardtop convertible model. The roofline and quarter panels look very similar to the Volvo's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
stryker said:
Blue oval sucks bigtime.
GM isn't much better. One need only look at Saturn and SAAB to see what a parent company can do to a subsidiary's identity.

Global platforms are the current trend. Each platform can be designed into disparate vehicles. The safety ratings on the Saturn ION compared to a Chevy Cobalt are quite different, as are the crash ratings of the Mazda 3 and Volvo S40. Thankfully, a Malibu built on the same platform as a 9-3 SS drive nothing alike, nor look anything alike.

Also keep in mind that the Focus sold in the United States is not based on C1 (?) platform that the 2005 Volvo S40, non-US Focus, and Mazda 3 are built on. It's quite a stiff chassis and should give the 9-3 cabrio a run for the money.
Wei
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
stryker said:
That is not possible. If the Focus platform was better, than they would use it on the XC90, one of the best handling SUVs ever. Guess whats under it? The S60............
If I'm correct, the XC90 was designed before the Focus platform was available. I think the XC90 was introduced about two years before the S40, which was introduced more than a year before the Focus, actually.

The XC90 was the last Volvo to be based on the "old" Volvo platform. From S40 onwards, it's all Ford globalisation, I'm afraid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
mhult said:
If I'm correct, the XC90 was designed before the Focus platform was available. I think the XC90 was introduced about two years before the S40, which was introduced more than a year before the Focus, actually.
You are correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
I, too, think it is a very attractive vehicle. Certainly as classy as the 3-series, A4, 9-3, or CLK. However, this is the first car in its class to have a folding hardtop. The closest vehicle in price is the SLK, but that's a 2-seater and not necessarily a direct competitor. Has anyone heard what US pricing will be? The article mentions european prices but it will be interesting to see how they price it across the pond since the dollar has been gaining on the Euro as of late. If the hardtop C70 vert is priced comparably to the 9-3, A4, and 3-series with softtops, it will have a substantial edge over the others. Hardtops are more secure, are more rigid, and quiet than their softtop counterparts.

I wouldn't concern myself on it being based on a Ford Focus platform. As another poster said, global platforms are the current trend and seem to be here to stay. Does the 9-3 ride on a Chevy Malibu platform or does the Malibu ride on a 9-3 platform? Semantics aside, both cars are very different in interior materials, standard/available equipment, powertrains, and exterior design. The only "Saab platform" Saab still uses is the 9-5 (although this may be shared with an Opel - I'm not 100% on this). The 9-3 is shared with the G6/Malibu, the 9-2X with the Impreza/WRX, and the 9-7X with the Trailblazer/Envoy. The upcoming 9-6X will be based on the Tribeca.

With the advent of Saab's 9-3 Turbo V6 and Volvo's S60 R, it's only a matter of time before we see a model above the C70's 220bhp T5. If AWD is offered on either, then the power possibilities become endless for both brands. However, how much power does one need in a car like this? People buy cars like this for their practicality over a Boxster, SLK, or Corvette. Frankly, I don't think Saab or Volvo would sell a lot of 300+ hp, AWD, 4-seat convertibles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
peterchurch said:
I thought the 93 was based on a vectra pan? sound like our car pan is being used on loads of cars ...
I recall hearing something like that, but I'm not 100%. No Vectras on this side of the pond so I don't really keep up with them. As a side note, the floorpan isn't necessarily common across all cars on the same platform. The Malibu/Malibu Maxx ride on two separate wheelbases, the Maxx being the longer one. The G6 uses the same wheelbase as the Maxx, IIRC. The 9-3 has the shortest.

Car and Driver also reported a few months ago that Cadillac is introducing a model in Europe only called the BTS which is based on the 9-3. Maybe someone at GM is trying to 'think globally' and realize that most Europeans don't want or can't afford big, gas-sucking cars and need a tidy diesel powered conveyance (i.e. the 9-3).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
strat81 said:
I recall hearing something like that, but I'm not 100%. No Vectras on this side of the pond so I don't really keep up with them. As a side note, the floorpan isn't necessarily common across all cars on the same platform. The Malibu/Malibu Maxx ride on two separate wheelbases, the Maxx being the longer one. The G6 uses the same wheelbase as the Maxx, IIRC. The 9-3 has the shortest.

Car and Driver also reported a few months ago that Cadillac is introducing a model in Europe only called the BTS which is based on the 9-3. Maybe someone at GM is trying to 'think globally' and realize that most Europeans don't want or can't afford big, gas-sucking cars and need a tidy diesel powered conveyance (i.e. the 9-3).
I think the only companies that can get away with big engined cars are BMW and Mercedes as they hold the prestiege market. With Gas/Petrol prices in the UK at almost £1 per litre most car owners steer clear of anything above 2.0 litre mark, and for a US car manufacturer to launch into a car market selling large engined cars is a big risk, as I doubt many people in the UK would dump a German car for a US badge.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top