SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blown bulbs and intermittent on/off stock HU MY2003

I'm asking if this could be the cause as lately, I've been having the following problems....

- changed 4 times over a period of 6 months this year blown bulb in the rear indicator panel of bulbs (one bulb per time)
- changed 2 weeks back the main headlight bulb (one of them blew)
- yet to change a blown positional light bulb in the front left light area (cos its so damn hard to access it!)
- intermittent stock HU keeps switching off an back on again regardless if I am blasting music or just easy soft listening and regardless of whether I'm playing a disc, on radio or using my ipod

will adding some sort of voltage regulator help?? or do you think I have a short somewhere???

I'm just worried that one day this will cause me to be stranded on the highway or something!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Suggest connecting a multimeter to the cigarette lighter socket and checking voltage with engine running. Should not be over about 14.8V and that would be just after the engine has been started on a very cold day (like below 0C/32F). Typically it should run about 13.8V to 14.1V after the engine has warmed up.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
brianl703 said:
Suggest connecting a multimeter to the cigarette lighter socket and checking voltage with engine running.
Sounds good to me.

I had a car once that kept frying voltage regulators. Took me a few months to figure it out (oh, how naive I was back in the day). Ended up there was a bad diode in the alternator. This was on a '73 Challenger. I kinda doubt the Saab would tolerate alternating current so well, but ya never know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts