SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Voltage regulator -update- need help

hey everybody
So while im driving my battery light comes on and my voltage will dip from ~13.9 to anywhere from 10.5-12.5. It's getting worse. I am going to order a new voltage regulator. Will my car be OK driving a lot until the part arrives? (does the VR take a while to fail or can it be sudden?)
thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Will my car be OK driving a lot until the part arrives?"

Probably not, because you're running on battery charge only and it will drain after 1-2 hours especially if you have the headlights on. If the charge red light goes off sometimes, that means the battery will charge up a little and allow you to drive a little longer.
The VR takes a short while to fail and it gives warnning signs like the charge light going on (but it could be burnt out) and the voltage dropping to below 12-13V.
My advice is not to drive untill you replace the VR or you may be stranded.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The voltage regulator is combined with the brushes and bolts to the back of the alternator. In the U.S., Eeuroparts currently shows them in stock from 3 manufacturers, this is the least expensive:

Though I'd probably be inclined to cough up a bit more and get the Bosch regulator:

(The "Genuine Saab" item is ludicrously expensive and appears to be the Bosch unit.)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I seem to be having the same problem. I cant find a VR for a 97 9000 CS. Is it separate from the alternator?
The VR - including the brush set - is part of the alternator, but is a renewable part. It is under the plastic cover on the inboard side of the alternator. It's most likely worn brushes that are causing voltage fluctuation. The VR/brush set is available from many places. For example, Eeuro has a Bosch set for $60:

To replace, it is really just a matter of making a few simple removals and then, when you have some room, it's not bad at all. You reach down between the firewall and the engine - release the two wires, back out 3 small screws, pry the plastic cover off the inboard side of the alternator and the regulator is right there. Two more screws and it's out.

Pop the new set in - and button up. Two hours tops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts