SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not crazy about the new format for Saab Central. Among other things, I can’t figure out how to do a search of this forum so I will have to ask a question that I’m sure has been asked and answered before:
is there enough room to change the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator without having to take the alternator out? Anyone done it? Any tips if you have?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I recently had to do this. You have to unbolt the alternator and rotate it so you can get the back cover off, but you don't have to take the alternator out of the car, at least.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Jeremy is right, you do have to unbolt it since the plastic cover that you need to take off will not come off with the alternator in position.

It also makes it easier as you can take the alternator off of the engine, sit it "face down" on the intermediate shaft and see what you're doing.

(the first time I did it I tried to just unbolt the top bolt and swing it out and I struggled for a while trying to find all of the screws and I even had a spare one sitting on my workbench. The second time I just took both bolts out)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts