SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a variable volatge regulator on my 87T16 vert. The stock regulator was producing 13.85V at the battery. I adjusted the new one for 14.2V when hot, at all rpms. I don't know why but there's a noticeable difference in economy. I barely touch the gas and it's at 3k. The fuel to air ratio is cycling faster (my adjustments due to 30# injectors) under normal driving. It pulls better at low revs.
So I'm happy. My diesel mitsu pumps 14.2V so it's probably safe.
BTW 14.2V was 1/2 way on the adj pot.
My only gripe is that unlike my old british leyland triumph gt6, this expensive machine did not come with a separate voltage regulator for the instruments, at a lower than system voltage so as to be stable at all times. Instead, it runs off the battery recharge voltage. :roll:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nice........ just what I was looking for. Should help me with my trunk mounted battery set-up.

Thanks for the link.....

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like thise mods :D I think that will be the next projekt I will do! I will just find some other here from Denmark, so we can make group bu

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe I should get one to reduce the voltage of my SPG?! The original regulator produces 14,8V which seems to reduce the bulb life significantly. Some brands of bulbs will only last 2-4 weeks! :(

·
Registered
789 Posts
schris35 said:
Hey all,
Just to let you know, Group-9 has an awesome external voltage regulator that is adjustable as well. I installed one on my 1988 SPG. Wow what a difference, brighter lights, easier starts, and great with a monster sound system.
Chris.
Group9's is $95
The other one is $40

Just an observation

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Kaas, Im in on a group-buy! Pretty annoying, the sound system dumps the bass at idle because of low voltage...
I'll make a post on www.saabklubdanmark.dk and ask if others wants in on the buy!
Daniel.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Tadek said:
Maybe I should get one to reduce the voltage of my SPG?! The original regulator produces 14,8V which seems to reduce the bulb life significantly. Some brands of bulbs will only last 2-4 weeks! :(
Just buy a bigger stereo! That will suck up all of that extra juice! :lol:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trackside said:
I'm at a loss as to how a voltage increase of .35v is going to bring about such changes.
I'm just reporting what happened. :eek: Perhaps there are critical voltage thresholds? Maybe less heat due to lower amps? amps = Watts/Volts ?

Btw to install them I used sewing thread to restrain each brush in a semi- retracted position, 1/4" exposed. The idea is that the thread will allow the brush holder to slide in, while keeping the brushes exposed enough to rub against the stator, which will cut the thread. Small trimmed single loops per each brush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts