SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a follow up or an update to my previous posting. The regulator went off last week (worn brushes), I discussed it briefly here. I bought a new one from Eeuroparts. It was really hard to fit it because of how long the new brushes are. I finally fit it and drove for a while until the car died on me - the regulator wasn't working and I was driving on battery. What tricked me was that the battery light never came up unlike the first time when the old regulator worn off. Then I also noticed that when you turn the key on contact, the battery light doesn't even come up on the dash board with the rest of them. So I took the new one out and reinstalled the old regulator to see if it made any difference. And it did - the battery light came up when I turned the key, the alternator was working and I could drive.

So I thought that the new regulator was defected and sent it back to Eeuroparts for replacement. Surprise, the new one did exactly the same. I decided do spend more time on the fitting and realized that the regulator works only if it is sitting loose in the alternator. As soon as I fit the screws, which shifts its position a bit, as if it is not there - the battery light doesn't come up when I turn the key and I am driving on battery. If I keep it loose with no screws it works but I am not comfortable driving like that. My only guess is that since the old regulator is fitting and working so perfectly, I should maybe send down the new brushes significantly, which would let me fit the regulator better and even put the screws on. Why is an original part giving me hard times though and I should shorten it?

Any thoughts and does it make sense at all?

Thanks a lot. This has been going on for way too long now and I am about to give up and take it to the shop.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
The new regulator's brushes are new and flat. The slip rings in your alternator are worn and grooved.
Install the new regulator/brush assembly and give it a few hundred miles to wear in before you draw any conclusions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim Mesthene said:
The new regulator's brushes are new and flat. The slip rings in your alternator are worn and grooved.
Install the new regulator/brush assembly and give it a few hundred miles to wear in before you draw any conclusions.
Yes, thanks, it makes sense. I just hope the regulator doesn't slip out from the vibrations before I get the chance to screw it tight.

·
4,637 Posts
It may help to file off the edges of the contact faces so there's a narrower patch making contact. That way they may fit into the grooves in the slip rings and will then wear in properly.

Of course, the correct thing to do is to take out the alternator and replace the bearings and slip rings (or pay somebody else to do so).

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Rosko said:
Yes, thanks, it makes sense. I just hope the regulator doesn't slip out from the vibrations before I get the chance to screw it tight.
Tighten up the mounting screws and don't leave it loose otherwise if it comes out partly or fully when driving the brushes could create shorts and the regulator itself might get tangled up in places it should be visiting.

I buy replacement regulators from Oklahoma starter and alternator parts who sell regulators on Ebay, etc. and have had no problems at all with them since I first started using the product. Check ebaymotors to find their listings and they regularly have new voltage regulator modules with brand new brushes listed for Saab's.

Craig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts