SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering either a Vishnu stage 1 reflash or getting the Cobb Tuning accessport. Does anyone have any reccomendations/preferences?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
By Vishnu stage 1, do you mean their actual 300 HP stage 1 package? Vishnu considers an ECU reflash only (with no other mods) to be stage 0, unlike Cobb.

Anyway, I went with the Cobb AccessPort. Here's some of my reasons:

1. No downtime. With the Vishnu you have to mail your ECU in and wait for it to come back. With the AccessPort, you do the reprogramming yourself. You're only down for about 10-15 minutes.

2. Price. AccessPort is $595, Vishnu's stage 0 is $650.

3. Flexibility. With the AccessPort I can switch between 91 and 93 octane maps as needed. With the Vishnu you have to pick one or the other and you're stuck with it. Also with the AccessPort, when I decide to go to stage 2 with a turbo back exhaust, it takes a few minutes to reflash my ECU. With the Vishnu, you'd have to send it back in and suffer another few days of downtime as they update the ECU programming. I don't know if Vishnu charges for this upgrade either. With the AccessPort it's free.

·
Registered
80 Posts
100% COBB
they have a programmable system for less than the reflash...i think the decision is simple. i got the reflash form COBB for 400 before i planned on going stage 2, (which i assume you'll do too, in time, power is addicting), then when i got my downpipe i ordered the AP for 200$. now i can download new maps when they are updated, change to economy moode for long trips and set valet mode so it redlines at 4k. plus, you cna read and fix CELs and read live boost. go with cobb for the price and versatility.
-marty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forgive me for asking a question as this is not my thread (I'm a newbie here), but if you purchase a COBB, will you need the assistance of a dyno to tune it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, you can use generic maps. Now that Cobb ProTuner software has been released you will be able to get it custom tuned by an appropriately equipped shop if you so desire though. But as long as you stay within the mods recommended for each of Cobb's generic maps you don't need to do any custom tuning.

·
Registered
80 Posts
athakur999 said:
No, you can use generic maps. Now that Cobb ProTuner software has been released you will be able to get it custom tuned by an appropriately equipped shop if you so desire though. But as long as you stay within the mods recommended for each of Cobb's generic maps you don't need to do any custom tuning.
and with the AccessPort, you can get tunes that will work for a range of cars (so its not specific for yours, but still very effective. obviously a custom tune will yield the most from your car) for 600 and no dynno time needed. plus downloadable ones like STX Map for autocrosses, valet, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
and to those that have AP, i would reccomend downloading the upgraded version,(v1.3 or whatever) i actually felt a difference in throttle feel...

·
Registered
17 Posts
New 9 2-X owner... Linear

Hi everyone, I am a new 9 2-X 'Linear' owner, and I like it. But after few months, I want more power now. I was wondering is there anyway I can increase performance and power of my Linear? Is it worth to do that? But spending few thousand dollars to upgrade my Linear or shall I just cut the loss of few thousand dollars and get an Aero. I do lots of 'in city' driving, and heard lots of complaints of the turbo lag of the Aero. How bad is it?

thank you so much

·
Registered
14 Posts
AP for sure:

1. VERY easy to resell.
2. You can unmarry it then sell it to another car.
3. Cobb tunes conservatively.
4. Switch map on the fly
5. Resale Value.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unless your car was pretty horribly tuned from the factory, an ECU mod wouldn't do a whole lot for you on a naturally aspirated car, at least not without a significant amount of modifications. So the lack of an AP for the Linear isn't a huge loss.

For an example, take APR's figure for their Audi S4 ECU mods. For the older, turbocharged cars it raises HP from 250 to 318, a 27% increase. For the newer, naturally aspirated cars, it goes from 340 to 352, only around 3.5%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
carbuff73 said:
Hi everyone, I am a new 9 2-X 'Linear' owner, and I like it. But after few months, I want more power now. I was wondering is there anyway I can increase performance and power of my Linear? Is it worth to do that? But spending few thousand dollars to upgrade my Linear or shall I just cut the loss of few thousand dollars and get an Aero. I do lots of 'in city' driving, and heard lots of complaints of the turbo lag of the Aero. How bad is it?

thank you so much
The following mods are within reasonable price:
1. Cobb Cold Air Intake - Inline.
2. Headers.
3. Catback
4. High Flow Cat

You probably won't see big gain but you may like the NA torque from 2.5 engine.

If you want to pay more then go w/ SFAC to fine tune it a bit..

More than this then you'd be spending a lot of money and better yet getting an Aero.

Or you can work on your suspension mods more after the mentioned power mods above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
humm, you're right... for the amount of work and money, an Aero in the near future may be a better alternative. But how bad is the turbo lag when driving around city for the Aero ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not as laggy as you think of.

Test drive one and try it.

You can always change the uppipe then remove 1 cat on the downpipe then you it will not be as laggy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help - having trouble getting past step one in setting up my cobb access port

I know it;s lame, but i can't find the test mode connectors. Can someone give me some advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeh, I trade in my Linear for Aero, Satin Grey, beautiful... automatic though

So now, if I am planning to add power, and by reading the above threads, sounds like Cobb AP is better than Vishnu. Now, I am no expert of doing the tuning myself... if I am getting the AP, would there be instruction and information for me to do it myself? Or is it better to go to a 'shop' for that?
Would such mod void the warrantee if I bring the Aero in for regular service ? Would the dealer/ the shop able to detect it?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts