SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 100 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
The group is going down to VIR on December 2nd. It cost $25 to get out on the track. We plan to be there early, around 7:30 AM, to get signed in.

I can assure you, if you; love to drive fast, have a mechanically sound car and stay within your skill level, you will have a total blast!!! VIR is the safest road track in North America and it is rated as one of the best.

!!
Of course I like to drive fast. I got my first speeding ticket on my temporary license (33 years ago) and have only mellowed enough to not get tickets any more. How many SAAB people are going. I would love to go but just realized this is on a Friday. I will have to see if I can take off work. What other events are planed for the future?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Of course I like to drive fast. I got my first speeding ticket on my temporary license (33 years ago) and have only mellowed enough to not get tickets any more. How many SAAB people are going. I would love to go but just realized this is on a Friday. I will have to see if I can take off work. What other events are planed for the future?
Friday is going to be a stretch for most of the guys. However, I think at least 3 of us will be going down to VIR and hopefully more.

We currently have at least 4 more events for this calendar year. If the weather holds and the interest is there we may have more.

Upcoming Events:
1) December 2nd - Track laps @ VIR

2) December 10th - Holiday Party @ Sports Car Service - SAAB Dealership
We have a large SAAB Convoy going up to this event. Mr. Jacobson and his sister, are gracious enough to open up the family dealership to SAAB enthusiasts and allow everyone to; tour the entire facility, view their current restoration projects and enjoy the famous SAAB Heritage Collection. The event is catered and is a must for any SAAB fan. The year's event will be the last one and it will be well attended. Here is a link to an article on the Heritage Collection:

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/02/27/prominent-collectors-join-forces-to-buy-saab-usa-heritage-collection/

...and Sports Car Service

http://www. /2007/10/17/sports-car-service-wilmington-de-saab-independent-2/

3) TBA - SAAB Convoy/Cruise to Krona Performance

4) TBA - SAAB Convoy/Cruise to tour Hydrographics Shop
This is absolutely amazing to see. Checkout the video

2017 Events - currently in planning:
1) VIR Track laps
2) Road tour and SAAB Convoy to run the Tail of the Dragon
If you are not familiar with this stretch of highway in NC, check out this video, 318 curves in just an 11 mile stretch!!!

3) RIR Track laps - 2 nighttime events to run under the lights, with food in
the infield and live bands performing in the paddock area
4) SAAB Convoy to tour the Wisko Racing showroom
5) SAAB Convoy to [email protected]
.....and many more!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
We just want to give Mike(MikeD Tuning) a big "thank you" for coming down to Virginia to tune our SAABs over the weekend. Everyone was thoroughly pleased with their tunes!!! The smiles, when the guys were pulling back into the lot after going on a road tune with MikeD, was saying it all.

We also want to give grkguy89 a huge thank you, for allowing us to use European Cars of Williamsburg!! He opened up the whole facility to our SAAB group and what a beautiful facility it is; clean, state-of-the-art, nothing out of place and just 1st rate, from top to bottom!!!

We want to thank all of the SAAB enthusiasts who came out to support this event and MikeD Tuning. The turnout was great. It is always a beautiful thing to see a group of interesting SAABs gathered together and to share ideas.

Finally, if you are in Virginia and you need service on your SAAB, consider ECW -- contact grkguy89. We would not have had an event without them and we really need to support our SAAB businesses!!!

Stay tuned for some pictures from this event.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Few pictures from Sat. tuning event:

This Viggen starts a new life at 190k, from stock to full blown Stg 3. Likely opened up 100 extra ft/lbs!

Lone modern 9-3ss

Tasteful Aero in for upgrades:

9-5 Arc with an unbelievable 35k on the clock! (For sale through European Car of Williamsburg too)

·
Registered
15 Posts
It was great to see everybody down there, and was happy that everybody left happy!

I look forward to heading back down again, Virgina is a fun place!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I had a good time! I want to thank Don for the ECU (stock) and Mike D, the guy can tune, man can he tune. My oil leak is also fixed!

Lastly, I want to thank Chris at the shop. Fantastic guy and a HUGE help and a great mechanic. ;ol;

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Charity Car Convoy

I trust everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. We will be participating in a charity event tomorrow(Saturday 11/26/16) to benefit the Fisher House Foundation.

We will meetup at Dominion Raceway at 8:00 AM. Jim L.(Director of the Drivers Club at Dominion Raceway) will take us on a tour of the new facility. At around 10:00 AM we will have a convoy briefing to discuss the; convoy route, convoy etiquette and answer any questions.

At 10:30 AM we will be pulling out of Dominion Raceway in a large car convoy heading through the back roads, for 79 miles, to Charlottesville, Va. A banquet room at the Wood Grill Buffet has been reserved for us to have a group lunch.

There is no cost to participate in this event, the tour and convoy is free. You will be responsible for paying for your own lunch. However, we do encourage participants to consider making a donation to the Fisher House Foundation to help less fortunate families through the holidays.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
We had another awesome outing today and once again the weather was just great. We met up at 6:45 AM this morning and hit the road at 7:00 AM. We took the scenic, rolling hill route out of Richmond, Va on route 301 north through Bowling Green and past Fort AP Hill enroute to Dominion Raceway.

After a spirited ride through the countryside, we pulled into the track at 7:56 AM. There were 28 cars, of various makes and 41 people in attendance for the charity event. We took a quick tour of the facilities, which are still progressing nicely, as the buildout continues. After the tour, we hit the two mile road course to run a few laps and then we jumped over to the 4/10ths of a mile banked NASCAR oval to run a some laps.

We setup to take a few pictures and videos on the track, after we finished our laps. The convoy hit the highway after our photo op, enroute to Charlottesville for lunch.

Stay tuned for pictures.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was very impressed by the professional atmosphere of Dominion. Great main facility, with nice restrooms, concessions/bar, and merch areas. Good variety of race and spectator events planned, as well as family oriented movie and sports nights on their big screen. I really look forward to seeing the full set-up developed, grassy, and landscaped.

View from the 3rd level media/press box. This is where the VIP suites are found as well. I-95 is visible through wood-line.

View north from Grand Suite that offers great views of 1/8th mile drag strip (far right and still in construction phase), technical section of road course, and oval track.

After the facility tour, we enjoyed a few mild laps around the road course (no photos, all driving here :cheesy:) Good variety and speed.

Oval offered a great photo-op. The 3 locals on a very banked turn.

Posed at the finish line.

Among the full pack of the charity cruise.

We were wise enough to wait to be at the back of the road course pack, hence our position at the back of the pack here. This did offer us some room to stretch out and enjoy the track. I will say the Hellcat just in front of us offered some entertaining sites and sounds. Incredibly fast cars!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice photos ! I really enjoyed the road track I was never really interested about putting my car on the track but after experiencing it I'm hooked ! It was a blast!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I drove out to Ft. Dodge, Iowa to take a tour of the SAAB Heritage Museum USA. I met up with Tom Donney early in the morning, on a very cold and windy day. I have seen 1/2 of the GM SAAB Heritage Collection on a few occasions; at the Sports Car Service Holiday Parties and at the record setting Simeone Museum "SAAB Spirit Lives On" Opening Night Exhibit( http://www.swadeology.com/2013/02/saab-spirit-lives-on-at-the-simeone-automotive-museum/ ).

As we walked into the museum, both walls in the entry way were absolutely filled with SAAB; pictures, posters, magazine print ads and memorabilia. Just beyond the corridor I was pleasantly greeted by a slew of SAABs!!! I was expecting to only see the "other" half of the Heritage Collection, however, there were 100+ SAABs in the two buildings.

There are SAABs from the 50's, all the way to a NG9-5. The 1956 Sonett I(1 of only 6) was hands down, the most beautiful one in the building. The 1985 SPG was a close 2nd, GM spent over $80,000 to fully restore this car to be on display at the 2007 New England International Auto Show( http://www. /2007/10/22/saab-spg-alongside-saab-turbo-x-at-boston-auto-show/ and http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/saab.jpg.JPG ). This SPG is stunning and simply took my breath away!! It has over 200,000 miles on the clock and it is restored well beyond its original condition -- flawless!

There is a host of famous SAABs in the museum; the 1965 96 Monte Carlo used by Jerry Seinfeld for his show, “Comedians in Cars getting Coffee”, the oldest SAAB in the USA, the "Long Run" 1986 9000....

There are at least 8 race cars in the two building, among them; the current land speed record holding Sonett II( http://www.saabplanet.com/tom-donney-achieved-new-records-in-a-saab-at-bonneville-salt-flats/ ), the Saabasaki and the monster 208 mph 1971 "Super Sonett".

Later in the afternoon, we walked next door to Fort Dodge Transmissions for a tour of the shop. The trophies from the Bonneville Salt Flats are on display, along with a few pictures of Jay Leno and more SAAB memorabilia.

It was a day that I will never forget! The pictures, the cars, the memorabilia and the literature were all great and Mr. Donney is one of the nicest people, one could ever meet!! He is planning to open a much bigger Museum in South Dakota. I would strongly suggest that all SAAB enthusiast visit the SAAB Heritage Museum, truly a wonderful experience.

This is a video about the Bonneville Salt Flats:

https://vimeo.com/28120657

I'll get some more pictures posted later this week. I also have some video to edit and post --- the audio notes from the cold start of the '71 "Super Sonett III" are deafening!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
@grkguy89:
I would love to run one of those around VIR.

As promised, a short video of the 1971 Super Sonett cold start.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi VA SAAB Driving Club,

I am not sure if this is allowed or not.

I originally found this site when I was researching a repair for my 2008 93. To make a long story short it is an issue with the intake valve.

With that being a costly repair I am selling my Saab. I have had no other issues with the car besides this one...

If anyone here knows of anyone that would be interested in the vehicle, please let me know.

Thank you all,
There is a Classified section on the forum that would get you more exposure with sub categories for selling the whole car or parting it out

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
@MORELLC:
Like Jeffreywp1 suggested, post a detailed thread in the classified section with some good pictures. Once you have done that, I will post the information at the area independent SAAB shops and help get the word out to the community.

I am not on social media, however, I am sure someone in our group will get your car information out to the SAAB Facebook groups.

GLWTS!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Going to be sitting down with Yellowbird this week to hash out the next ~6 months of events so keep your eyes peeled for updates. Are there any suggestions for the coming spring/early summer or events you'd like to see? We're all ears! ;ol;

81 - 100 of 280 Posts