·
Registered
901 Posts
On deck:
1) Overnight Weekend Scenic Driving Road Trip - April 7th / 8th
2) Track Night 2018 @ Dominion Raceway - April 19th
3) 3-Bay Wrenching Session - April 21st
4) Parade Laps @ Dominion Raceway - April 22nd
Unfortuantly, the only event I will be participating in is #3 - maybe #4.
For this wrenching session I will have the following:

1) OBD2 scanner
2) Tech2 (with security access - If I can get my laptop fixed in time)
3) test kit(s):
3a) Leak down
3b) Compression
3c) Coolant System Pressure
3d) Fuel Injection System
4) Select assortment of parts available for obscenly low prices:
4a) NOS c900 bits
4b) OG9-3 bits (used)
4c) OG9-5 bits (used)
4d) select few NG9-3 bits (used)

If there are any specific requests for items I have not mentioned or specific issues anyone wants addressed, let me know.

And, with any luck, I'll have those wheels finished for ya... fingers crosssed!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is the promotion for the wrenching event on the 21st. We are going to provide burgers and a good time... You BYOB, BYO-jacks and BYO-Jack stands 🙂

Mark has also said he can make arrangements for anyone who needs to stay the night to have a place to crash.

Hope to see you all there!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
For this wrenching session I will have the following:

1) OBD2 scanner
2) Tech2 (with security access - If I can get my laptop fixed in time)
3) test kit(s):
3a) Leak down
3b) Compression
3c) Coolant System Pressure
3d) Fuel Injection System
4) Select assortment of parts available for obscenly low prices:
4a) NOS c900 bits
4b) OG9-3 bits (used)
4c) OG9-5 bits (used)
4d) select few NG9-3 bits (used)

If there are any specific requests for items I have not mentioned or specific issues anyone wants addressed, let me know.

And, with any luck, I'll have those wheels finished for ya... fingers crosssed!
That is an incredible list of wares, that you are bringing to the SAAB Wrenching Session!!! I know you will do an amazing job refurbishing the rims!!

MarkR is absolutely working his butt off getting his place ready to host this event with TheSaabProject. Early numbers look like we will have 15+ SAABs in attendance and many more if the Charlottesville Cell comes in force and the SAAB crew, from NC --- we met at VIR a few weeks ago, makes the trip up. MarkR is clearing trees and bringing in more gravel to accommodate all of the anticipated SAABs. I am going to try to stop by tonight to help him out a little.

We had a really fun day out at Dominion Raceway, a few weeks ago, for the TrackCross event. It was an incredible turnout, with 52 cars signed up for timed trials. messiguy01 had some great runs in the Silver and Stripes Viggen, on some different purpose rubber. DonC and I were able to get in on the action during an extended and extremely fast paced Parade Laps Session.

It was a very cool weather day at Dominion, for this event and it did not take long for some rubber to start getting a little too loose on the track. A Mustang was the 1st to lose traction and in a blink of an eye, he was making a 180 and turning in the wrong direction. About 4 more cars would get unsettled during the 1st session and thankfully, they all kept their poise and stayed on the track. During the 2nd session a Mazda RX-7 lost grip in turn 5, ran off course, hit the dirt, hopped into a low runoff spot, caught some air and before we could even react, he was suddenly baring down on us as we were positioned behind a concrete barrier. Miraculously and in a flash, this driver was able to regain control of his charge, about 8 feet from the concrete and steer clear of disaster. He escaped the wall and any damage to his suspension, from the hard drop into the ditch. The only casualty was the entire front bumper/air dam --- toast!!!

While a lot of the cars were getting surprisingly unsettled, even Ivan in his straight beast of an Audi, had a few tense moments --- messiguy01 and his Viggen performed without err --- planted, smooth and cutting through the timed 9 turn section, like an agile fighter jet!! During the lunch break, the Track was opened to run Parade Laps. messiguy01 had arranged to have a professional videographer onsite to film all of the action. We got our 3 SAABs(Viggen - Viggen - TurboX) together and we were fortunate to get out in a very fast group. We had a blast running the complete 2.0 mile, 12 turn road course, for what seemed like a session that would never end --- they let us run and run and stretch and push!!! We slipped out after our Parade Laps, away from the tarmac and onto the local roads, so the videographer could get some rolling footage of the Silver Viggen and the Black Viggen. We later grabbed some lunch and then it was time for messiguy01 to return to the paddock and get mentally ready for his afternoon runs.

The afternoon session started much the same as the morning session, with cars getting loose and having a few close calls. As the 2nd afternoon run cars were lining up on the grid and with a few of us taking up position at our normal turn 5 vantage point, the conversation was all about the close calls and there just seemed to be a little anticipation and uneasiness in the air. As the 7th car was approaching the timed finish line and with cars 8 and 9 on track and pacing, it happened. It is something you never want to experience or even see --- a terrifying accident. It actually sounded like a canon was fired, when a Nissan 370 impacted the safety barrier. As we turned to our left, we all looked on in horror. This Nissan was completely airborne and at least 9 feet in the air!!! I sent a message down to messiguy01, who was lined up on the grid and I was amazed to hear that he actually heard the impact from 600+ yards away. We all rushed to the scene to see Patrick exiting from the heap, the car was totally destroyed, however, thank God the driver was actually walking away from the carnage!!! The session was red flagged for about 45 minutes and a few of the participants decided to call it a day.

Once the timed sessions resumed, it was still hard to focus on the action without being concerned for Patrick, who was taken away in an ambulance. I am happy to report, that he is doing just fine!!! The rest of the TrackCross event, was uneventful and no more incidents occurred.

Stay tuned to this thread, to see the professional / promotional video that was taken during this event. There will be some more SAAB footage taken and some editing done, before the final version is ready for release --- to promote The Opening Day SAAB Track Tour @ Dominion Raceway for the 2018 SAAB Owners Convention.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #224 (Edited)
SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected]

"SAAB Takeover Convoy"

Our 6th annual convoy to [email protected] will start in Richmond, Va, on Friday morning, May 18th with stops in; Charlottesville, Opal, Haymarket and Leesburg, Va, then a meetup with the Maryland group in Frederick, Md. This has quickly grown into a wonderful event, with the help of; Virginia SAABs, SaabKlubben of Charlottesville, S.A.A.B.S. and The SAAB Project. Come on out and join us, for a wonderful drive through the very scenic backroads of; Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania --- to the largest gathering of SAABs in North America!!

We are expecting 30+ SAABs in our convoy this year. Last year's convoy was a huge success, with 20 SAABs and we have already added 11 more SAABs to our local clubs/cells.

We will once again have our "Duel Challenge" between the Richmond and Charlottesville groups, with another "bragging rights" prize up for grabs.

Dual Start: Wawa - 10373 Sliding Hill Road Ashland(Richmond), VA
Arrival time: 7:45 AM
Departure time 8:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 71 miles

Dual Start: C'ville Coffee - 1301 Harris Street Charlottesville, VA.
Departure time: 8:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 74 miles

1st Pit-Stop: Sheetz - 10101 James Madison Highway Bealeton(Opal), VA
Arrival time: 9:30 AM
Departure time: 9:45 AM
Distance to next stop: 36 miles

2nd Pit-Stop: 7-11 - 4075 Sudley Road Haymarket, VA
Arrival time: 10:30 AM
Departure time: 11:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 22 miles

3rd Pit-Stop: St. John the Apostle Catholic Church - 101 Oakcrest Manor Dr NE Leesburg, VA
Arrival time: 11:30 AM
Departure time: 11:35 AM
Distance to next stop: 23 miles

4th/Final Pit-Stop: ExxonMobil / CVS - 400 South Jefferson Street Frederick, MD ***Rear Parking Lot***
Arrival time: 12:10 PM
Departure time: 1:00 PM
Distance to next stop: 67 miles

Destination Point: [email protected] - 1000 Bryn Mawr Road Carlisle, PA
Arrival time: 2:45 PM

All are welcome to join in and participate, even if you are coming from farther South or West. Everyone who signs-up AND participates in the SAAB TakeOver Convoy will be eligible to win a SAAB Swag Bag. All SAAB Owners who bring at least 2 SAABs will receive a special event shirt and be eligible to win our annual SAAB Cup trophy, which goes to the SAAB owner/family who brings the most SAABs to participate in our Convoy. You must sign-up and participate, to be eligible for the awards. Our big event sponsor is, once again, The SAAB Network(Saabnet), with help from RBM SAAB Parts and Krona Performance. We will also be offering the following SAAB Swag:
1) Long Distance Award - special SAAB gift to the participant that travels the farthest.
2) 1st-Timer Gift - special SAAB gift to any first-time participants.

Those interested, in attending / participating can PM us, to sign-up and get registered for the prizes / giveaways. So spread the word and get in on the largest SAAB Convoy to [email protected]!!

Important Note:
The most important thing to bring is a handheld two-way radio. You can pickup a FRS(Family Radio Service)/GMRS(General Mobile Radio Service) one for about $20. As this convoy grows, being able to effectively communicate, amongst all of the participants is becoming more and more critical. A cell phone / app just cannot deliver on par with two-way radios. It is the best way to keep everyone informed during the convoy. Based on past experience someone is going to; get separated from the pack, make a wrong turn, see a hazard someone else does not see or have an emergency. If you have participated in a long drive convoy, you know the best part is the added fun level, with the radio talk and chatter between cars -- it makes the drive much more enjoyable!!!

Toys for Tots:
We are also asking that each participant in the SAAB Takeover Convoy bring a new unwrapped toy for the Toys for Tots challenge. The Central Penn SAAB Club has made a commitment to help with this worthy cause and we will be delivering the toys upon arrival at [email protected].

........and stay tuned to this thread for the upcoming video/docudrama of the 2017 SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected] '17!!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
"SAAB Takeover Convoy"

Our 6th annual convoy to [email protected] will start in Richmond, Va, on Friday morning, May 18th with stops in; Charlottesville, Opal, Haymarket and Leesburg, Va, then a meetup with the Maryland group in Frederick, Md. This has quickly grown into a wonderful event, with the help of; Virginia SAABs, SaabKlubben of Charlottesville, S.A.A.B.S. and The SAAB Project. Come on out and join us, for a wonderful drive through the very scenic backroads of; Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania --- to the largest gathering of SAABs in North America!!...
For those travelling from the Virginia coast and want to get in early on the convoy action. There will be an additional leg:

Start: Norfolk Premium Outlets - 1600 Premium Outlets Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23455.
Arrival time: 5:30 AM
Departure time: 5:45 AM
Distance to next stop: 69 miles (1hr)

1st Pit-Stop: New Kent Safety Rest Area West - I-64, Providence Forge, VA 23140
Arrival time: 6:45 AM
Departure time: 7:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 30 miles (30m)

2nd Pit Stop: Wawa - 10373 Sliding Hill Road Ashland(Richmond), VA
Departure time 8:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 71 miles

Link with Richmond folks and continue as previously outlined.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
For those travelling from the Virginia coast and want to get in early on the convoy action. There will be an additional leg:

Start: Norfolk Premium Outlets - 1600 Premium Outlets Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23455.
Arrival time: 5:30 AM
Departure time: 5:45 AM
Distance to next stop: 69 miles (1hr)

1st Pit-Stop: New Kent Safety Rest Area West - I-64, Providence Forge, VA 23140
Arrival time: 6:45 AM
Departure time: 7:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 30 miles (30m)

Thank you so much for taking the initiative to add these extra stops. We are working on developing another SAAB Cell, this time in Newport News. Luster is coming up tomorrow, for the SAAB Wrenching Session at Mark's, with a few of his local SAAB buddies --- so you will get a chance to meet them and hopefully they can meetup with your leg of the SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected], at the rest stop in Providence Forge.

We are looking forward to tomorrow's event. Mark is totally excited and he has been working so hard, to get prepared for the event!!!! His passion for SAAB is amazing!!!

Also, the date/time has just been announced for S.A. A. B. S. 2nd annual SAAB Clinic in Wendell, NC. April 28th at Swedish Performance, starting at 10:00 AM and ending at 4:00 PM. Here is the link with the information: https://ttrixiemach​5.wixsite.com/saabex​travaganza2017

Everyone will have 2 opportunities(tomorrow and next Saturday) to come out and have their SAABs gone over mechanically and prepared for the convoy to [email protected].

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey this sounds great. Now I have even more incentive to get my "new" 2000 9-5 up and running in the next few weeks. Bealeton here I come.

Brian Mee
Manassas VA

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I am in southern Maryland - Not really interested in the track days, with a driving tour should be fun
We have several SAAB Driving Tours planned for this season. Stay tuned to this thread for updates. We encourage you to come out and join us for one of the Tours. Also, if you know of any good twisties in your area and you are interested in hosting/leading a SAAB Driving Tour, let us know!!

Hey this sounds great. Now I have even more incentive to get my "new" 2000 9-5 up and running in the next few weeks. Bealeton here I come.
If you need any help or have any questions with buttoning up your 9-5, let us know --- we are here to help. We had a great SAAB Wrenching Session this past weekend, hosted by Mark R --- a lot of knowledgeable 9-5 owners were there!! The event video will be posted tonight. We are getting together again this Saturday for an annual SAAB Clinic at Swedish Performance. The techs open up their shop, to go over all of our cars, in final preparation for the big SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected].

We will be rolling into the Bealeton Sheetz at 9:30 AM on Friday May 18th. We already have 26 SAABs signed up for the convoy and the numbers are growing. The SAAB TakeOver Convoy is sssssooooooooo much fun --- we look forward to meeting you Brian!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
The SAAB Wrenching Session #1 hosted by Mark R last weekend was an absolute blast!!! Kudos to Mark, he has jumped into the SAAB culture with both feet and has more love and passion, for our beloved brand of choice, than most. Mark worked for weeks; cutting down trees, pulling roots, spreading gravel, landscaping and making room in his garages and yard to accommodate everyone. He has a wonderful family and they all came together to make the day and the event, one to remember!!! No stone was left unturned, even the patio was decked out with a beautifully laid out table of food that would have made Cat Cora and Bobby Flay green with envy. On top of that, the confectionery bar treats, easily matched the best that any Kilwins has to offer.

What was originally planned as a "wrenching session", turned out to be so much more!!! Every SAAB owner that; is in touch with their SAAB, takes care of their SAAB, embraces their SAAB and the SAAB way of life and most importantly, gets out and exercises their SAAB, can appreciate the culture and very essence of the SAAB lifestyle and the SAAB passion that was on full display during this event. While at VIR, setting up on the grid to run laps a few weeks ago, messiguy01 shrewdly noticed a lone black SAAB 9-3SS off in the distance --- positioned in the lower lot, awaiting its turn to rotate some rubber on the track. Needless to say, we made contact with the owner and his friends as soon as they came off of the track and just like that --- a new SAAB friendship was born. Those same 3 friends, that we met on a very cool and very windy day at the 3.27 mile, 17 turn road course, were the very 1st ones to arrive at Mark's event --- 2 hours early!!!

The day was more about enjoying great food and cultivating new SAAB friendships, than it was about turning wrenches. Several new(to our group) local SAAB owners made it out to the event, as well as many of our regulars. Luster, who is working to rebuild what used to be a huge SAAB driving club in the eastern part of Virginia, made the trip. DevPts, along with TheSaabProject crew came up. Mulchy, from Swedish Performance, even took advantage of the opportunity to put some "break-in" miles on his new Quaife LSD build and piloted in his gorgeous and beefy Steel Gray Viggen. Frank, not only made it out but he was able to come away with what was quite possibly the deal or aptly put "steal" of the day ---- and while we are on the subject of deals, DevPts had an absolute treasure trove of rare, hard to find and out of production parts in his parts tent, at very favorable prices. He had something that was rarer than a NOS perfect c900 crack free dash and it was still in the original SAAB packaging. Fortunately, he pointed it out to me and the deal was done!!!

In total, 24 people were in attendance and both the front and backyard, were filled with SAABs. As the day went on, both DevPts, Mulchy and messiguy01 got busy doing what they do best - helping SAAB owners in need. It is always amazing to watch these guys in their zone and listening to them as they walk you through the process. Both Chuck and Jonathan had done some incredible things to their 9-5s --- hearing and seeing the before and after was breathtaking!! For those of you that remember the monster 9-5 that Harvey built for Rarelibra, the car made a grand entrance with its new owner, Gerrold and even more LEDs!!!

As night descended on us and the air changed from pleasantly warm to slightly chilled, a few of us were still hanging around in the garage watching Mark's "Chilli" having an "all hands on deck" moment ---- it was a meeting of the minds, to do a little trouble shooting. Just before 11:00 PM, the last of the faithful few, shared some handshakes, hugs and goodbyes --- until next weekend!!

We really had a great time, in fact, so much so, that Mark is planning on making this a monthly event!!! I would encourage more SAAB enthusiasts to organize and have SAAB wrenching sessions, they are fun, informative, a way to save money on repairs and you feel such a sense of accomplishment when you are able to make a minor repair or perform routine maintenance on your own SAAB.

On Deck: S.A. A. B. S. 2nd annual SAAB Clinic in Wendell, NC. April 28th at Swedish Performance, starting at 10:00 AM and ending at 4:00 PM. Here is the link with more information: https://ttrixiemach​5.wixsite.com/saabex​travaganza2017

Convoy meeting point: Wawa 11701 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Chester, VA 23831
Arrival time: 7:00 AM
Departure time: 7:20 AM
Distance to Swedish Performance: 140 miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I may be so bold to suggest that the leg

Dual Start: C'ville Coffee - 1301 Harris Street Charlottesville, VA.
Departure time: 8:00 AM
Distance to next stop: 74 miles

1st Pit-Stop: Sheetz - 10101 James Madison Highway Bealeton(Opal), VA
Arrival time: 9:30 AM
Departure time: 9:45 AM
Distance to next stop: 36 miles

Follow I-64E to Route 22N to 231 to Gordonsville then Route 15 to Bealeton. We just drove that route the other direction and it had many more twistys and better scenery that taking Route 29.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
If I may be so bold to suggest that the leg

Follow I-64E to Route 22N to 231 to Gordonsville then Route 15 to Bealeton. We just drove that route the other direction and it had many more twistys and better scenery that taking Route 29.
Funny you should suggest this, we have 2 SAABs riding solo to the Sheetz in Bealeton --- one is coming from Lake Anna and the other is coming from Orange and that is the exact route that they have decided to take!!! Great call, much less traffic, better views and a great combination of straights and turns!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
The Virginia Saab Driving Club was started to fill a void within the SAAB Community. I had so much fun hanging out on the weekends with the local Porsche Club, getting out to the track, going on scenic road tours and visiting; repair, restoration, performance and detail shops. When I looked around, there were plenty of other marque clubs out there, doing similar things. However, there was nothing out there for the SAAB Community.

Fast forward a couple of years and things are really looking up for our small group of SAAB enthusiasts. Over the past couple of weeks we have attended a great SAAB Wrenching Session and an awesome SAAB Clinic(video and write-up to follow). We have met and talked to 6 - 7 new and extremely passionate and motivated SAAB owners. We are all about getting out and exercising our SAABs and we are finally hitting our stride and finding a small niche --- Performance. Viggens, Turbo Xs, SPGs, 9-5s, 9-3s.......they are all starting to come out, show up and we have started a dialogue on getting more out of our SAABs.

One of the most helpful websites, for those interested in speed, performance and suspension, is definitely www.SpeedSecrets.com They offer excellent Podcasts and Webinars on: better driving techniques, improving speed and properly setting up your track car. Last week, they had a 2-night webinar: Tune Your Car's Handling, which was absolutely amazing and was followed up each night, with an even more educating Q & A. I would strongly suggest, that anyone interested in tuning, improving driving skills and performance, tune in for their next entry.

On Deck:

1) Central Penn SAAB Club - Meeting
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:00 PM - 9:30 PM
This is our final preparation meeting for [email protected]. Stay tuned to this thread for a "behind the scence" video.

2) SAAB Wrenching Session - Final Mechanical and Detailing Prep for [email protected].
Saturday, May 12, 2018. Mark R has offered to host another event at his home garage to get ready for our big SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected].

3) SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected]
Friday May 18, 2018(see schedule posted above, in this thread)

4) 5 Ways To Drive Faster - Webinar
Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 8:30 PM EST/5:30 PM PST https://speedsecrets.com/5-Ways-Drive-Faster/?utm_source=motorsportreg&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=calendar201805&utm_content=long

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
April 28th 2018, par the course, we started the morning by meeting up at a Wawa. We started with the usual: croissants, morning joe, a tire and engine check and a petro topping. We had arrived at 7:15 AM and by 7:36 AM we were on I-95 South.

The weather could not have been better. The traffic was light and flowing. It had been a pretty uneventful trip, until we crossed into NC. For those of you not familiar with the world renowned, on-air announcer "Chilli Red", he shocked us with a surprised and welcomed cameo appearance to our small convoy --- look for him in the below video. The best part: he informed us that he will make another special emergence at our SAAB TakeOver Convoy to [email protected]

What road trip would be complete without a stop at the local Walmart. We filed into Zebulon, NC around 9:48 AM and made a B-line to the automotive section. We filled up the cart with some final necessities, in preparation for the SAAB Clinic and then made the short jaunt over to Wendell, NC and Swedish Performance. We were greeted by several familiar faces. 8 SAAB enthusiasts were already on the yard. Throughout the day, many more SAAB enthusiasts made their way to SP, as well as some other car enthusiasts. Hands down, the most attention getting car was a 2016 600+hp Pearl White Cadillac CTS-V, that was running on an e85/FF conversion. The owner's daily was a tuned 2007 SAAB 9-3SS, but on this day, it was time to let the CTS-V shine. He obliged my request for a road test or should I say a sprint test --- this Cadillac is a straight monster!!! After I struggled to figure out how to open the door, he set us up in front of Swedish Performance and launched --- OMG!!!

We once again got to see Mulchy's Viggen build along with some VERY, VERY interesting mods that he has coming down the pike. Be sure to follow his SaabCentral build thread, if the LSD did not get you pumped enough, rest assured he is about to knock some socks off --- 1 off style!!! Bob had made several new performance mods to his Red 9-5 Aero. Clark had his extremely throaty TurboX on hand and Will(NC) left the 9-3SS at home, in favor of his 2011 Black-on-Black NG9-5 with all of the trimmings; HUD, panoramic sunroof, premium leather package......Will(VA) had his Stage 3 MapTuned 9-3SS out for exercise and I cannot wait to see this Stallion on the track!! Elizabeth also had her newly sprayed and striped Dolphin on display. A c900T, a '98 NG900 MCY SE Vert, a '09 Lynx Yellow 9-3 Aero Vert, a '05 9-5 Arc and a few Viggens were also on hand. Kevin and Shane had an extremely rare 2010 Red 9-3X SportCombi on the lot and a few people took that unicorn out for an afternoon jog.

This was a full blown tech/wrenching session and unlike the previous weekend, we did all of our talking in the garage, by the lifts and with our mechanic gloves on. We got the pleasantries out of the way very quickly and 1-by-1 we led our charges away from the hot asphalt and onto the cool concrete inside. Kevin and Shane wasted little time in getting to work for us. They had all of the lifts/work bays occupied and jumping: oil changes, key programming, Tech2 programming, extensive physicals and even a little detailing. Messiguy01 was supposed to help me with a fog light kit install, however, he did it all without any help from me --- the guy is amazing to watch at work, he knows practically every inch of the OG9-3. My bumper was off and back on, in literally a flash!!!

Everyone was so caught up in the clinic, that we worked practically through lunchtime. When the chorus of stomach growls became overwhelming, we made our way 1 block up the street for what was the best NC BBQ I ever had and it was plentiful; chicken, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, sausages......add in; potato salad, greens, beans, slaw and all of the fixings and you would think all we wanted to do was set under a shade tree and nap, after filling our bellies --- NOT, we were immediately back in the garage.

As always, a HUGE "thank you" to Kevin, Shane and Swedish Performance, these guys once again went above and beyond, literally!!! The SAAB Clinic was slated to end at 4:00 PM. However, Kevin and Shane, did not leave a single stone unturned nor any problem/question not addressed and they kept the shop open until almost 7:00 PM. These guys are wonderful, knowledgeable and just downright and all around good people!!!

A few of us went on a short drive, to eat dinner and share a few SAAB stories and by 8:20 PM, we were saying our good-byes, until next time. Mark R and I broke off from the return convoy to head over to Raleigh to examine a stunning 304 Ice Blue Metallic 9-3 Aero, decked out with a Royal Blue cabrio top --- ouch!!!! She bit Mark hard!!!

What should have been a casual and fun return trip home, in the welcome warmth of darkness, turned out to be interesting. While traveling through work-zone after work-zone and masterfully dodging pothole after pothole, one reached out and touched my driver's side front tire with vengeance. It was an unfair fight and the tire suffered a "KO"! Thankfully, when I looked up, a rest stop was right there. One of the biggest advantages to traveling in a convoy, is you are never alone and trust me a quick SOS over the 2-way and the true meaning of SAAB comradery was on immediately on display. As soon as I parked and exited the my car, MarkR met me with a full size spare in one hand and the 20V Dewalt impact in the other. A quick call to messiguy01 and Mark was on it. Per messiguy01's instruction, Mark moved the rear tire to the front and mounted the full size on the rear. I would have been stranded without Mark, I had not checked my spare and it turned out to be a donut that was flat as a pancake and did not want to hold air. Big thanks to Mark and messiguy01!!! It is indeed a pleasure to be a part of such a wonderful and helpful SAAB Community.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
As always, a big "thank you" to messiguy01 for opening up his SAAB photo album to add to the videos!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
anyone ever done suspension work? Thinking about pulling the trigger for H&R lowering springs + Koni Yellows
Youtube is your friend on this one. Front strut assembly is typical style, lots of reference material there. Rear doesn't look fancy either, independent shock and freeing a lower control arm to release the spring.

Access to air tools helps but I've done fine with hand tools. You'll need to rent spring compressors for the front as well, Autozone comes to mind there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Youtube is your friend on this one. Front strut assembly is typical style, lots of reference material there. Rear doesn't look fancy either, independent shock and freeing a lower control arm to release the spring.

Access to air tools helps but I've done fine with hand tools. You'll need to rent spring compressors for the front as well, Autozone comes to mind there.
thanks, I have access to a garage + lift but its 2hrs away. Don't know if I trust myself enough to finish the whole job in a night -> drive home.

Also currently in the market for aero wheels / klingons if anyone is trying to sell em

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
thanks, I have access to a garage + lift but its 2hrs away. Don't know if I trust myself enough to finish the whole job in a night -> drive home.

Also currently in the market for aero wheels / klingons if anyone is trying to sell em
Please reach out to Matt here, he has a set of Klingons relatively close to you: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #240

We are having another SAAB Wrenching Session today, to tackle our final preparations for [email protected]: do88 install, foglight kit install, oil changes, grille mods, detailing.....

These sessions seem popular and we are planning on making it a monthly thing. You are welcome to join us anytime!!

If you need an extra set of hands, let us know. Also, I have access to an independent SAAB Master Tech shop on Sundays, all of the necessary equipment to handle a suspension upgrade.

221 - 240 of 271 Posts