SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any interest in the Virginia area, in starting up a SAAB Drive Club and having driving tours and track days with a monthly frequency?

We currently take a couple of our SAABs out to Richmond International Raceway and Virginia International Raceway several times a year. Due to a lack of SAAB events, I have been hanging out with some of the local Porsche and BMW Clubs, they both have 2 - 4 great tours and track day events monthly.

I will be going out to the brand new Dominion Raceway track this weekend for a private tour, lunch and run a few laps on the track, with the local Porsche Club.

It would be great if we could get enough SAAB interest to start holding our own tours and track days.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in...
Good Deal DevsPts!! I met you a couple of years ago at Christos' Annual European Car Show. I am actually heading down to his shop this morning for a road tune from MikeD.

I will put something together for RIR and VIR after [email protected] Dominion Raceway is going to be a very nice venue, once it is completed. I will talk with the GM during the tour this weekend, to get something scheduled there as well.

Send me a PM, with your contact information and I'll start putting together some events and dates. Also, if you have any suggestions for possible drive tours let me know ---- I have always wanted to run the "Tail of the Dragon"!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, he slipped in, but only for one day. He will be up, not too far from Harvey's today.

Got the PM, thanks! I'll keep you posted on things like this via email. He will be back down over the summer to do a few conversions for a few of us.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had a really fun filled car weekend. MikeD did a road tune for me Friday and the Porsche Club let me cruise with them all day Saturday. I must say, I wish we had a SAAB Club similar to this Porsche Club, here locally. I cannot say enough kind things about this wonderful group.

On Saturday, we met in Hanover, Va early in the morning. We hung out for about 30 minutes talking about cars. Everyone in the Porsche Club was welcoming to me and my SAAB. We then took the long and scenic route up 301 across the Pamunkey River and through Bowling Green, past Fort AP Hill and through historic Guinea Station on the way to the brand new Dominion Raceway for a private tour and lunch.

The grand opening for the track was scheduled for 2:00 PM. However, when we arrived, the road into the track was already completely blocked with race cars, trucks and trailers.

The tour was very good. The track owners gave all of us free VIP Suite tickets for the grand opening and inaugural races that took place Saturday night. While Dominion Raceway is not nearly as nice nor equipped with the same level of amenities as VIR, when it is complete it will be very nice.

The Porsche Club invited me back this Saturday(24th), for another meetup, tour, lunch and trip to a detailing shop. Next Saturday(7th), is another meetup, tour, lunch and workshop.

Where are all of the Virginia SAAB faithful? We can be doing the same thing on weekends. I have the connections to get us in at all of the larger Virginia racetracks and we can be going out on driving tours. I can also get plenty of SAAB Sponsors to help us out with discount vouchers, SAAB merchandise, SAAB swag bags....but we need some interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great SAAB-5. Send me a PM with your contact information. We will be putting together a SAAB Convoy to Carlisle -- starting in Richmond next month, another one to SOC in August and I am hoping to put together our first SAAB tour in June.

I am going out again today with the local Porsche Club for a workshop, lunch and driving tour-- these guys have been absolutely great -- allowing a SAAB to hang out with them.

The thing that I love about this club is: they don't just meet in a parking lot to show off their cars, they actually put together driving tours or track run almost every weekend!!

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sadly I don't have many free weekends but would love to make it out to an event or two if you are able to get enough people together to organize something this summer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Imola Red and SovangW, sounds great!! We are looking to put a track run, drive tour and lunch event together for June 5th. We are looking to meet near Richmond International Raceway(RIR), convoy over to run some laps on the NASCAR 3/4 mile oval track, take some videos and then head out for lunch and a scenic back road drive tour.

Interest is growing from Northern Virginia down through the Tidewater area, so we will try to follow up with a private tour at the brand new and recently opened Dominion Raceway, which is just below Fredericksburg and then get something setup down around Tidewater. We will get a private tour and some track time setup for Virginia International Raceway(VIR) in the fall. We will also get MikeD back down for a tuning session at one of the Independent SAAB Shops in the near future.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and interest.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
@Imola Red and SovangW, sounds great!! We are looking to put a track run, drive tour and lunch event together for June 5th. We are looking to meet near Richmond International Raceway(RIR), convoy over to run some laps on the NASCAR 3/4 mile oval track, take some videos and then head out for lunch and a scenic back road drive tour.

Interest is growing from Northern Virginia down through the Tidewater area, so we will try to follow up with a private tour at the brand new and recently opened Dominion Raceway, which is just below Fredericksburg and then get something setup down around Tidewater. We will get a private tour and some track time setup for Virginia International Raceway(VIR) in the fall. We will also get MikeD back down for a tuning session at one of the Independent SAAB Shops in the near future.

Ah, unfortunately I work Sunday's. What are the costs of using these tracks? In about 1k miles I was planning to get a tune from MikeD, would be awesome to attend that one. 1k miles because I need to break in the new clutch and flywheel setup. I take the Saab to the shop for that today.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Very cool! Being 100+ miles north of RIR might make things interesting, but with enough planning might be able to pull it off and Dominion Raceway looks great. Do you plan on keeping this thread updated or to create an e-mail list or something like that?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, unfortunately I work Sunday's. What are the costs of using these tracks? In about 1k miles I was planning to get a tune from MikeD, would be awesome to attend that one. 1k miles because I need to break in the new clutch and flywheel setup. I take the Saab to the shop for that today.
We will definitely put some Saturday events together. I am trying to work in our SAAB Drive Events around open track days. The group will get in for free at all of the open track days, with a cost of $20 - $25 for those that want to get out on the track with their personal car for a 5 lap session.

They are really great at RIR. They have always kept the track open for us, as long as we wanted to run laps. It is $20 for 5 laps and if you have never been on the track, it will only take one session for you to be hooked!!!

MikeD is phenomenal, I still don't understand how he got Ehren's Talladega to flat out fly!! We can get him down to Virginia with about 3 - 4 weeks notice. We already have 3 cars waiting for a post [email protected] tuning session, so just let me know what works for you.

Good luck with the new setup!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very cool! Being 100+ miles north of RIR might make things interesting, but with enough planning might be able to pull it off and Dominion Raceway looks great. Do you plan on keeping this thread updated or to create an e-mail list or something like that?
Hopefully, you can get down to RIR on 06/05/16. We ALWAYS have a ton of fun out there!!!

We will setup another free VIP tour and lunch(DR will cater the lunch, each attendee pays for their own meal) at Dominion Raceway on a race night, if we can get some interest built up. The two owners are extremely nice and they are working very hard to build a great racing venue. We are still waiting on the road track to officially open up, however, you can see the full 2 mile, 12 turn course from the rooftop catwalk.

The goal is to keep this thread updated. We have also started an email contact list, to keep everyone informed. Feel free to send me a PM, with your contact information and thank you guys for all of the interest thus far. Things are looking very promising!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We will definitely put some Saturday events together. I am trying to work in our SAAB Drive Events around open track days. The group will get in for free at all of the open track days, with a cost of $20 - $25 for those that want to get out on the track with their personal car for a 5 lap session.

They are really great at RIR. They have always kept the track open for us, as long as we wanted to run laps. It is $20 for 5 laps and if you have never been on the track, it will only take one session for you to be hooked!!!

MikeD is phenomenal, I still don't understand how he got Ehren's Talladega to flat out fly!! We can get him down to Virginia with about 3 - 4 weeks notice. We already have 3 cars waiting for a post [email protected] tuning session, so just let me know what works for you.

Good luck with the new setup!!
Can we start a Facebook to stay better informed? Communication is essential!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can we start a Facebook to stay better informed? Communication is essential!
I absolutely agree with you on the communication front. If one of you would like to step up and start a FB group I think that would be great or simply stay connected through FB. I am not a fan of FB, so I will use email and this thread to keep information posted.

A small group of us went up to the eEuroparts Car Show and Swap Meet today. I will get some pictures posted later.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I absolutely agree with you on the communication front. If one of you would like to step up and start a FB group I think that would be great or simply stay connected through FB. I am not a fan of FB, so I will use email and this thread to keep information posted.

A small group of us went up to the eEuroparts Car Show and Swap Meet today. I will get some pictures posted later.
Some pics would be sweet. Should we call it Saab's of the DMV? or Saabs of Virginia? any suggestions?

I feel Saabs of Virginia would be easier to think of when searching this general area. And anyone close by could also join. What do you think

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some pics would be sweet. Should we call it Saab's of the DMV? or Saabs of Virginia? any suggestions?

I feel Saabs of Virginia would be easier to think of when searching this general area. And anyone close by could also join. What do you think
I like "SAAB Drive Club of Virginia" -- but I am totally open to suggestions. This group will be focused on getting together to exercise and "drive" our SAABs on tours, on the track, to events in Convoys....

We already have 8 SAABs signed up for our Convoy to [email protected] and hopefully the Maryland group will have good numbers too, when we meet up in Frederick, MD to band together for the last leg to the showfield.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I like "SAAB Drive Club of Virginia" -- but I am totally open to suggestions. This group will be focused on getting together to exercise and "drive" our SAABs on tours, on the track, to events in Convoys....

We already have 8 SAABs signed up for our Convoy to [email protected] and hopefully the Maryland group will have good numbers too, when we meet up in Frederick, MD to band together for the last leg to the showfield.
Which day?

1 - 20 of 271 Posts