SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VIN Question ...

8th character in my VIN is a "N" ...
There are details on these 5 possibilities ...
E, G, H, K, Z

OK ... some help on this one please

I have the rest of the VIN decoded fine...

And I determined that my car was born in FINLAND!!!
I feel terrible ... what kind or car parent am I if I do not even know what country my car was born in ;oops: ;oops:

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is a link to a Russian site (!!) for decoding saab VINs

http://www.saabnet.ru/vin.html

If you put in N for the engine on here, it says that it is the B204L 2 litre turbo engine with intercooler.

Would that sound right? It's the same engine as my '95 900 Turbo, and that has an N in the VIN.

·
Registered
380 Posts
2003FXSTB said:
And I determined that my car was born in FINLAND!!!
I feel terrible ... what kind or car parent am I if I do not even know what country my car was born in ;oops: ;oops:
All the convertible ng900s and og9-3s were made in Finland by Valmet. The current 9-3 convertible is made by Steyr, in Austria. Trollhättan, Sweden has never made a roofless car!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ... the VIN worked out fine :D

now I will have to re-name my car ... "Sven" will not work with a car from Finland ... hmmm I need a Fin name

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably part of that switching engines part way through production year

I do not know how many verts were made that year ...

Mine was number 2,672 for that year ... wonder if I can find out actual birthdate with that number ... for Birthday parties for him ...:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
2003FXSTB said:
thanks ... the VIN worked out fine :D

now I will have to re-name my car ... "Sven" will not work with a car from Finland ... hmmm I need a Fin name
Pekka? or Juha? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually the N stands for your engine. There is a description of N engine in the VIN site. I understand that it wasn't really used in vehicles imported into the United States which is why it isn't in the list of five letters that do have explanations. Its a B204E, there is an earlier thread talking about the difference between the Saab engines. You will also notice in your engine number that it starts out with B204E.

The B204E is actually the 2.0t in the 9-3 manuals and it is the lpt engine producing 153.4 hp or 113 kW. I understand that it was originally used in the 9000 then the GM900 and finally the 9-3.

I just bought a 2000 9-3 with the B204E engine and checked up on all this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts