SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get some Viking Wheels and Tires pretty cheap but I've heard how they are the weakest rims by Saab. I've seen several post that said there wheels bent after hitting a pothole. Just wondering if they are worth buying? Also, Tires. My 1999 93 is lowered with Eibach Springs. Will 215-55-16 work on my car or should I go with something else. I have 205-50-16 now. I want to close up the gap alittle more but don't want to ruin the ride and handling.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
215 is fine.

The Viking rims were the rims that came on my car and I had no issues with them for several years, before switching to others. If anything, I've heard that Viggen rims are the weakest.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Later 9-3's came stock with 205-55-16, so a 215 is only adding 5mm per side. The sidewall will increase 6mm over that, although 12mm over your current diameter. You will have some speedo error.

The vikings were soft. Not as soft as Viggen wheels, but still soft enough to be part of a very major class action suit back around 2002. I would want to spin any set before purchase and check true/round.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For The Info. Did they make any repairs or what happened in the suit? These are off of a 1997 Saab SE.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Later 9-3's came stock with 205-55-16, so a 215 is only adding 5mm per side. The sidewall will increase 6mm over that, although 12mm over your current diameter. You will have some speedo error.

The vikings were soft. Not as soft as Viggen wheels, but still soft enough to be part of a very major class action suit back around 2002. I would want to spin any set before purchase and check true/round.
Vikings (closed lug) and Viking Aeros (open lug) alike? Or just Vikings?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
These came off a 1997 SE They appear to be fine but I guess I will know sooner or later. Also I had 225 45 17 on my car and I had no rubbing issues. I should be able to go with 215 55 16 or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts