SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was in Carlisle, my engine started to make a tight whining noise...

What causes it... Only does it when revving, not affected by steering. Whines when it's cold AND warm... temperature doesn't change it. Doesn't whine at idle.

Water pump has less than 20k miles on it, brand new OEM timing chain, balance shaft chain, guides, sprockets, bs chain tensioner, 6 puck clutch, oem slave, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, etc... No sludge in the pan, clean screen and crankcase.

Other notes, the shop that installed the tensioner didn't tighten the plunger bolt to the chain tensioner body and it wasn't even finger tight. I ended up removing the tensioner and reset the leg and reinstalled. The whine went away for a day, and now it has returned. Is it possible that the timing chain tensioner is bad? I have never seen one fail and not sure what the symptoms would be when they do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had the chance to pull my belt to see if it goes away yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
To me it sounds like the belt is rubbing against something.

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
I doubt that the change to the timing tensioner fixed it, I bet it was something else that happened as part of that fix. But, you should go back in and check - perhaps they did tighten it and it's loosened again.

Meanwhile, get a mechanic's stethoscope and check each accessory. I bet you can pin it down to one of them. Get the knob/listener piece right down there on the accessory next to the bearing and see if you can find one making noise.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just noticed that the shop used RTV sealant all along the perimeter of the brand new OEM valve cover gaskets; NOT HAPPY. It's oozing out all around the valve cover and the head. If it oozed out on the outside, it surely oozed out on the inside. I am worried that a piece of the sealant may have reached it's way into an oil passage or into the oil pickup screen. Also checked the belt, and it's not rubbing against anything...

Keep in mind, I just had the following replaced last week...

Oem Timing/balance shaft chain kit (sprockets, guides, balance shaft tensioner, o-rings, etc), front main seal, rear main seal, shift rod seal, axle seals, oem clutch slave cylinder, 6 puck Clutchnet clutch disc, new viggen pressure plate, poly engine mount, poly tranny mount, resurfaced flywheel...

Now I am coming up with this whine and a loud rattling noise from the clutch when it is released. Also noticed that there appears to be a bit of a gap between the transmission and the engine block behind the downpipe.

I emailed the shop with all of my concerns and expressed how disappointed I am and that I expect them to address all of the issues and fix it right this time.

This is why I like to do all of my work myself! I have done everything from motors, tranny's, head gaskets, turbos, etc. in all of my Saabs since I was 15 years old... I was tired of doing it all in my driveway without a garage so I figured I'd spend the money and have this stuff done for me. Now look what happens.

Here's the clutch noise...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's definitely oil pressure related. I just pulled the serpentine belt and the whine remained. On a positive note, my pumps and pulleys are dead silent as I heard little to no difference with the belt on or removed.

They stand behind their work and said they'd take it in no problem and give me a loaner car again... I just hope they can get it right this time. They'll have to spend time cleaning everything and making sure there isn't any crap in the oil passages/pan/screen... There was no noise when I brought it in, so something happened while it was in the shop (leading to believe it was the RTV they used on the valve cover gaskets)... They've met their worst nightmare of a customer. I'm the person who will turn his radio off several times while driving to listen for any abnormal noises...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
How can soft squishy RTV block anything in the engine with oil pressure at like 20-40+ psi?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can soft squishy RTV block anything in the engine with oil pressure at like 20-40+ psi?
Have you not seen how fine the oil pick up tube screens are? Why do you think Saab says to use Loctite 518 (anaerobic sealant) on everything?! I've seen and read about Saabs getting starved of oil due to RTV used on the oil pan, it's the same thing as using it on the valve cover. Doesn't take much to limit the flow. The other possibility is that they didn't clock/time the balance shafts properly upon changing the sprockets and chain. RTV is a no-no... any reputable Saab tech knows this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts