SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to replace the Eibach sport springs on my 2001 Viggen. They are abusing the struts and engine mounts and I also want more clearence. I am having a tough time finding any stock Viggen springs, but I could get some off of a Viggen convertible with low miles. What do people think? What will this do to the ride? It seems that they are the same length as stock Viggen springs but stiffer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the shocks, but I am going to replace those as well. I really want to know if there is a big difference between stock Viggen springs and Viggen convertible springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do people NOT recommend installing springs ffom a viggen convertible onto a 4 door viggen? There are no viggen spings to be had; they are backordered indefinitely.

·
Registered
19,173 Posts
Rumor has always had it that 'vert springs are stiffer to handle the extra weight of the roof, particularly when opened and it shift to the rear.

How much stiffer has never been documented that I know of. But, if we figure that the vert weighs 200 lbs more, that's maybe 6% more load, so I suppose it could be 6% stiffer - assuming they didn't adjust the handling in some other way.

Either way, I might forget about the Viggen springs and just put a set of Eibach springs in all around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, 6% doesn't seem like much. Maybe I will go for it.

In fact, I am getting rid of a set of Eibachs because the lower springs seem to be putting crazy strain on my engine mounts and struts.

As far as I know, Eibach et al only make lowering springs.

It is amazing to me that no one out there makes sport springs that don't lower your car over an inch.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

In fact, I am getting rid of a set of Eibachs because the lower springs seem to be putting crazy strain on my engine mounts and struts.
How? - the stock struts can easily cope with the lower ride height of the Eibachs and as I said before Eibach are softer than stock viggen springs so they will put less strain on them. Engine mounts are not effected by springs or struts. Sounds to me like your real problem is the struts and not the springs.

·
Registered
19,173 Posts

As far as I know, Eibach et al only make lowering springs.

It is amazing to me that no one out there makes sport springs that don't lower your car over an inch.
Actually, I think 6% is a fair chunk... but, it might actually be a positive thing to be a little stiffer. Hard to say.

I might agree with Shirozina that your issue is struts, not springs though. If they are no longer stiff enough to handle the springs, that would cause issues. The only time I find the Eibach putting more of a strain into the ride is on short choppy bumps across the roadway that hit both wheels simultaneously - otherwise they seem very tame and more controlled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. It's in fact probably just the torque from the Viggen itself that has led to the knocking in my front end.

So I do need to replace the struts and maybe the shocks as well. The springs are really about clearance. In a few more months I'll be needing to drive in winter so I want the extra clearance that stock springs will give me.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the convertible springs and replace the struts and shocks as well.

Any advice on performance struts or shocks that you think will work well with a Viggen? There seem to be plenty of shock options, but I ma not so sure about struts.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Struts are shocks ;) If ride height is an issue then Bilstein shocks have a lot of expansion force in them which will probably raise your car a bit on the Eibach springs over stock worn ones. On a vert I'd trade a bit of ride height for the more forgiving nature of the Eibachs.

·
Registered
19,173 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. It's in fact probably just the torque from the Viggen itself that has led to the knocking in my front end.

So I do need to replace the struts and maybe the shocks as well. The springs are really about clearance. In a few more months I'll be needing to drive in winter so I want the extra clearance that stock springs will give me.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the convertible springs and replace the struts and shocks as well.

Any advice on performance struts or shocks that you think will work well with a Viggen? There seem to be plenty of shock options, but I ma not so sure about struts.
Koni's or 'steins... and when they don't list Viggen, don't worry about it. The cartridges are the same as any 9-3 of the same generation. Koni's cost a lot but the are adjustable. You might find that a real feature to get the ride you want. 'Steins are known to be a little stiff and you get what you get. You also save a few $'s.

Try importrp.com. Web site is terrible, but prices are good and shipping is free over $100. Tirerack.com is good and sometimes has sales but they charge freight.

·
Registered
554 Posts
just bought the sport "steins" for my viggen.... drivewire . com had them for $130ea shipped

I'm staying with the factory springs... I already scrape on my driveway...lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Struts are shocks ;) On a vert I'd trade a bit of ride height for the more forgiving nature of the Eibachs.
My Viggen is not a convertible. I am considering replacing the Eibach springs with ones off a 'vert because stock Viggen springs are currently unavailable anywhere.

Thanks for the advice on shocks, though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Koni's or 'steins... and when they don't list Viggen, don't worry about it. The cartridges are the same as any 9-3 of the same generation. Koni's cost a lot but the are adjustable. You might find that a real feature to get the ride you want. 'Steins are known to be a little stiff and you get what you get. You also save a few $'s.

Try importrp.com. Web site is terrible, but prices are good and shipping is free over $100. Tirerack.com is good and sometimes has sales but they charge freight.
Thanks for that. It is so helpful to get experts to give tips on what to get and where to gt it. I will check out importrp.com and tirerack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts