SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so before I left for school last spring I blew my second turbo. When I came home for the summer I was going to replace the turbo and sell the 96 900 SE. But than I got the great Idea that getting a viggen turbo would be almost as easy for me and my father the replace a stocl turbo. So I found a viggen turbo for $415 and purchased it. I decided to make the oil and cooland line the cheep way and use the old banjo fittings from viggen turbo and car side. After a few broken bolts and some sweat I got everything installed. when pouring the fluids back in I sprung a leak on the coolant out side of the turbo. So I had to order all hose ands and adapters from summit and wait a few more days to get them in. I finally got the car back togeather and was able to run the car fine.
After about thirty miles of use in local areas, I felt it was time to take the saab for a longer trip I decide to take the saab from southern new hampshire to northern Vermont to see a friend. On the way up a few problems occured, cheap air hoses to and from the turbo being torn and ripped off the nipples. also intercooler hose being blown off of cross pipe on stock intercooler. After I fixxed all of the problems on the side of Rt 89 N I was able to travel an hour with no problems. After getting to my friends and parking my car I got up the next morning and drove the car downt the road and the oil light came on. Turns out I have a hole in my oil cooler. After draining the oil and going to the local auto parts store they said a patch would hold for the time for me to get back home. After patching the hole and driving for about a mile my car started smoking and the engine started sounding funny (sounded like a jetta TDI). My brother had to come pick me up with his 4 Runner and I had to go all the way home and get a tow dolly and go all the way back up yesterday to tow the car home. I have had soooo many problems with my saab and I am tired with dealing with so many problems I dont want the saab anymore.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It just looks like you maybe didn't do your homework with the turbo install. I recently completed the same conversion on my 99 9-3 and all is well. Seeing that you are a new member here, what did you use as your resource for info?

Having vacum lines and intercooler hoses blow off is a sign of poor fitment and maybe quick, and ugly installlation.

What are you specific questions for a solution other than getting rid of the car?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh believe me I did my freekin homework on this one. I have spent over a year reading and drooling on this mod. And as far as the hoses on the nipples I used silicone thinking that all silicone hoses are heat resistant, I did not know that these hoses were going to lug out on me. As far as I can see no one has done this mod still with their stock intercooler. I had to do a little squeezing to get the intercooler pipes to all fit snug. My question was just asking the general population why the heck should I keep a saab that has consistantly let me down? Dont get me wrong I have been doing mods on my car for about four years now and love saabs but it is not fun when things keep going wrong.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My point is that I don't think its the car. We have all been let down when we work on our cars. I have had things break, not fit, leak, etc. etc. But in the end things work out. If you had any car you would still be having problems. Any turbo car could have the hoses be preoblematic like this. Do you see my point?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If you turned this homework in to me, I'd have to give you a C- :cool:

Not all silicone is the same. Cheap silicone hoses are pretty flimsy, especially the two-ply eBay specials or the Summit crap. You want three-ply as a minimum, four-ply if you can find it, with a temp rating of >350 degrees. If you want it to work right, and you want it to last, DON'T SKIMP ON HOSES. If the seller can't tell you those facts -- plies and temp rating -- then go elsewhere. You can find durable four-ply truck radiator hose for a fraction of the cost of glossy silicone. I've posted about that here and on Saablink before

The oil cooler hole is a different story. The oil cooler isn't very protected, either from corrosion from the elements or from physical damage, especially if you whack a curb. The lines are right under the IC, where some clueless engineer figured would be a good place for them. Solution is to move the oil cooler, using the stock one or a aftermarket kit, to directly behind the grille. You'll get better cooling because it will be right in the airflow.

And why would you do this mod with your stock intercooler? The reason no one has done that before is because that's the first thing to change, even before the turbo itself. A Viggen IC would help cool the charge of the stock turbo with less pressure loss, and they're dirt cheap right now because people are buying bigger bar-and-plate ones from Jak Stoll and MP Performance. You can get a Viggen IC for next to nothing....

And if you have blown TWO turbos, oil- and water-cooled units designed to last 200,000 miles or more, then, my friend, I'd say there are some deeper maintenence and driving issues at work here. You can't beat a car into the ground and then say "Stupid car!" when it fails you. At the Saab Owners Convention, there was a guy with 960,000 miles on his SPG, and had the original turbo.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
not to long ago, me and my buddy installed my knew fmic, we ran into a huge problem when the wrong size hoses were sent, so instead we decided to go our own route and make custom hard piping, wow was that the wrong thing to do...instead of a easy direct fitting install it turned out to be a 2 day disaseter...but everything turned out ok...it's like stromer said it is a proccess of elimantion with cars hardly any time you do an install do things the way they are planned, your best bet is to rethink your proccess and get better hoses and fix the car and keep it...with the knew tbo the car would be a fun toy :cheesy: ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
you konw what, ive learned that there is no point in staying with a certain car just because it will look like you "gave up" on it. I had a mk3golf for 5years, had 4motors in it, made over 300whp and in the end i wasnt happy with the car.

there is nothing worse then a car that is a money pit, although it seems like you could have gotten a few better things, or there must be a reason for the turbos you have to keep blowing you say you already blew 2, maybe your driving too hard? this is a saab not a sport compact... seems like you might be driving it really rough? im just putting it out there...

Then again you might have done everything right and you just have some bad luck in which case it doesnt matter what car you have you would have had the same bad luck, sometimes you win sometimes you dont. Best thing to do is pop your hood and look at all the parts, when was the last time they were replaced? whats looking old and used? whats new, etc etc, if its looking like you might have to put a bit of money into the car, clean it and sell it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm basically done installing my aero turbo into my saab and it wasn't as easy as i'd thought. There are plenty of problems you encounter along the way that you'd never expect. BELIEVE me i've been through hell and back with my car the past year and I feel it's still worth it to invest my time into her. I can understand you being frustrated after putting this new turbo in and expecting something great, and only getting more agrivation. It sounds like it won't be to expensive to fic the immediate problems with the car, so i say go ahead and repair it. from an economical standpoint, if you correct everything now, the car will still last you awhile given everythign is done correctly. That sounds better than having wasted all this time just to end up getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I agree. I think the last thing you'd want to do is give all your hard work away and sell the car. At least enjoy your work for a while now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
SaabinNH said:
After patching the hole and driving for about a mile my car started smoking and the engine started sounding funny (sounded like a jetta TDI)
This would concern me a bit... Smoking and rough running after draining the oil? You may very well be up for a new engine now... :confused:

The tone of your original post brought on some venom, of course, but you may be right about getting out of that car.. I bet that you could find an unmolested SAAB a couple years older for the same price as that engine job.. but maybe a 350 Camaro would be more trouble free and able to take your abuse?

It's cheaper to fix and probably buy, much more durable, and a new engine can be had for a song. A deep, rumbling, gas guzzling, SAAB Wasting song :cool:

I may be going this route myself, as a combination of fate, fools, and incompetent head work has doomed my Viggen to extremely early and extremely expensive failure. :evil: :evil: :evil: There is a good chance that this is my last saab as well, but SAAB will determine this for themselves in the next couple of days.:roll:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I trust you'll make a post summing up your experiences ED? I've only peiced it together from some of your posts.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, I've been pretty vague on purpose, because there still is a slight chance that SAAB will listen to the technical truth and their own morals and help me not be tens of thousands in the hole on this car.

It's a bitterly amusing tale of woe in which I spend the next three years of my life paying for a car that is no longer working and a repair that was never correctly done, while all the while SAAB wont listen to the truth and keeps slapping me in the face even more by telling me that it's much more likely that I broke my car again than they could possibly have screwed up a fourth aspect of my head job. Yeah, the other three are documented by two separate (not the repair shop) SAAB dealers, but how could they have screwed up anything else?

In fact, maybe it's finally time to lay it on the table and start a thread, rather than just snipe at SAAB when I'm at my angriest.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Fast_Ed said:
but maybe a 350 Camaro would be more trouble free and able to take your abuse?
I really enjoy my Saab, and I like the engine plenty (even sans turbo) but theres something about a generals' pushrod that makes me smile!

Fast_Ed said:
In fact, maybe it's finally time to lay it on the table and start a thread, rather than just snipe at SAAB when I'm at my angriest.
I'd like to hear about the whole story!

Back to this thread, it sounds like the latest round of troubles has all been from your turbo install. The troubles remind me of a stat I heard once: that aftermarket oil coolers for your auto trans INCREASE the chance of trans failure due to poor instalation causing loss of fluid and eventual trans death. Seems reasonable to me; concerning oil cooler and coolant lines, these are paramount in importance to an engines health and the ultimate determining factor of reliability. Pay close attention to them!!

Tboy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Tboy said:
I'd like to hear about the whole story!
It's over in the NG900/OG9-3 workshop under 'Viggen Bites the Dust" in case anyone hasnt found it yet.

You could probably trade your car's 'husk' straight up for at least one, maybe two older Camaros... At least that's what my F-body loving/hating friends say... Cant really tell which side of the fence these guys are on sometimes..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts