SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well built are the viggen transmission? and I under stand that they make high tq but why use the 95 drive shafts shouldnt they have used the 93 shafts so this would make the drive shaft the weaker point and not put so much stress on the transmission.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I under stand that they make high tq but why use the 95 drive shafts shouldnt they have used the 93 shafts so this would make the drive shaft the weaker point and not put so much stress on the transmission.
They can handle higher torque ratings, not make higher torque ;ol; as the Viggen made more ft/lbs. My understanding is the shafts are beefier than stock 9-3 shafts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know the shafts cant make more tq they can handle more but why make the stress point the tranny. the drive shaft and cv's are a quick fix compared to a tranny so thats why im asking how do the transmissions hold up?
I am about to take my transmission ou tand see whats going on with it it is making a noise that i can hear when im on the highway next to a wall. goes away when i put the clutch in. I hear this in 4th and 5th

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it is kinda a random rattling sound i was thinking it was the throw out bearing but when in neutral it doesnt make any noise with the cluch in our out but i hear it on deceleration on the highway its like a chattering sound

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to be doing a nice build on the car and should make a little over 450hp so just want to know if i should do anything to the tranny

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
yea it is kinda a random rattling sound i was thinking it was the throw out bearing but when in neutral it doesnt make any noise with the cluch in our out but i hear it on deceleration on the highway its like a chattering sound
FWIW, I've had that sound for 100K miles in my NG900. Someone suggested to me that it was the throwout bearing. I've been nice to it (put it in neutral at lights so it's not spinning for minutes) and I've never had any issues. YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a stage 2 clutch in it. but doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the clutch I also keep it in neutral at stops. ok as along as mine isnt the only one yea I am kind to it as much as i can be.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Try this: With the engine hot, pull up next to a building on the driver's side and stop with the car idling in neutral. See if the sound is there. If it is, step on the clutch and see if the sound goes away. If it does, I'd be thinking the TO bearing. If not, something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bob I did try that when i first noticed the noise i pulled over on the highway at a McDonalds and while at the drive though next to the building i atempted that and no noise but i will try this again tomorrow to make sure maybe wendy's it has been a while since i have had some fast food.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Check that your exhaust pipe and catalytic converter are NOT touching anything. When I bought my 9-3, it had had a newer front pipe AND converter installed at some point. The converter's corner was touching a piece of frame and would give a sound during deceleration like the transmission was bad which I thought for certain it was as the noise would only happen during certain times when in gear, but NOT in neutral. I found the "contact" point when a new muffler was getting put on the car and was up on a lift. I took a pair of vice-grips and carefully bent the corner until it wasn't touching anymore. Transmission sound went away ;ol;

Also, check your engine mounts. If the engine is moving or in the wrong position, it can cause the exhaust to "touch" areas of the frame and give off weird sounds like a transmission is failing.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Good points Pontius.

Mine wasn't that issue as I've had the problem since about 50K miles (mounts should have been fine then) and through an exhaust change... but it's good to think out of the box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pontius... I do need to replace my tranny mount so that could be it. I have a 3 inch down pipe and back. so some play from the mount could cause that thanks ordering a solid mount this week.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The Viggen transmission is a regular 9.3 tranny with 9.5 output drivers (to accept shortened 9.5 drive shafts) and a 9.5 differential. The transmissions were apparently beefed up with small mods pretty well every year for 1999 - 2003 (the CV) so the newer your Viggen is, the more up to date and bullet proof the tranny. However, AFAIK, only the 2003 tranny and some very late 2002s have the up dated crush sleeve and if anything is going to fail, it will be that (mine gotten eaten so I now have a new tranny!).

Nick has some really good info on his site and I do believe that he sells an upgrade kit. Quaife LSD is also REALLY worth considering....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
pontius... I do need to replace my tranny mount so that could be it. I have a 3 inch down pipe and back. so some play from the mount could cause that thanks ordering a solid mount this week.
A solid mount will cause vibrations and might be too rough for a daily driver. I was only suggesting that you check your exhaust and make sure it's not coming in contact with anything. Also, make sure all the rubber isolaters are there and haven't been replaced with anything solid. Again, I got lucky being mechanically inclined. Had I taken the car to a less than reputable shop, I'm nearly positive they would of stuck me with a replacement transmission.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
A solid mount will cause vibrations and might be too rough for a daily driver. I was only suggesting that you check your exhaust and make sure it's not coming in contact with anything. Also, make sure all the rubber isolaters are there and haven't been replaced with anything solid. Again, I got lucky being mechanically inclined. Had I taken the car to a less than reputable shop, I'm nearly positive they would of stuck me with a replacement transmission.
I've got GS engine and gearbox mounts ( the side ones ) and although there is a bit more vibration at idle it's not really noticable. It will also protect your diff from wheel hop which is a very good reason to upgrade them.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I've seen statements that vary from "hardly noticed them" to "vibrates like a Massey-Furguson Tractor at idle" (that's a quote "-).

The second statement one is the reason I don't have them... but I imagine the vibration varies a bit with how your engine idles. Everyone says the vibration is unnoticeable at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
lets put it this way the plastic cover piece on the dash right at the windshield mine vibrates and shakes like it has turrets, it may be because i have no balance shafts and all 3 GS mounts but it definitely lets you know it has mounts.
Oh and my trans does the same i believe its the TOB due to the fact at idle i press clutch in it goes away, and on HWY i get the same chatter/grind noise, hit the gas some to take the load off and it goes away/ press clutch same effect.
I also have a spec stg 3+ with a alum flywheel. and the noise has been there for geesh probably 20K now

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've seen statements that vary from "hardly noticed them" to "vibrates like a Massey-Furguson Tractor at idle" (that's a quote "-).

The second statement one is the reason I don't have them... but I imagine the vibration varies a bit with how your engine idles. Everyone says the vibration is unnoticeable at higher RPMs.
GS has a table of cause and effect ( in comfort terms) for fitting the mounts which goes from just the gearbox mount = barley noticable to fitting all 3 = strictly for the track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts