SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Viggen with a 24mm bar and a 1994 subframe with a 26mm bar...which should I use? How would the larger bar affect the handling? Should I use it with other mods to make best use of it?

Thanks,

Phil

BTW the car has ~300000 mile and the engine is in remarkable condition...no sludge to speak of (The oil was replaced every 3K with synthetic. The car was commuting >300 miles a day). I replaced the rod and main bearings. The upper half rod bearings were the only ones with some visible wear. Every O-ring I find is brittle.

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
I'd say that you should use the 24mm in the Viggen. They made changes to the Viggen spring rates that resulted in the stiffer bar being too stiff. The stiffer bar would normally prevent body roll. Saab decided that with the stiffer Viggen springs, the thicker bar was either a waste of weight or was making the front suspension less independent than it should be. There is a trade off with a sway bar in that it reduces in independent nature of the suspension.

It likely resulted in the inside tire on a turn staying more heavily loaded and gave more understeer. Considering that the Viggen was targeted to the sport driver an even came with the Flight Academy training, I'd assume that it wasn't just the usual concern about a car oversteering and being uncomfortable for untrained driver. More likely it was because the car was doing some bad things near the limit that they wanted to tune out. Conventional wisdom is almost always "bigger is better" with bars, so for them to back it down there must have been some moderately annoying or severe issues.

Of course, if you have both, you could always give the thicker one a try and see what you think. Chances are that it has the greatest effect near the limits so you may not even notice the difference unless you have the car on a track doing slaloms. Also, if you've done other mods like an upgraded rear bar, or stiffer shocks, or lowered springs, then all bets are off... and your testing for the ride/handling you want what matters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts