SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Viggen spoiler supposedly increases downforce by 50%. However, I cant seem to find actual downforce numbers.

Does anyone know how much downforce a 9-3 has versus how much a Viggen has?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It sounds like another marketing statement to me. Fifty percent of nothing is nothing. In a statement like that, you (or Saab Marketing) needs to specify more than 'what'. More than a non-Viggen spoiler, more than 'no spoiler', etc... Ron

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, it's not 60 percent more downforce, it's 60 percent less lift. For details, look up viggen under the model year info on that other other saab board.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Remembering my old 95 900 SE... If I crossed the SF Bay on windy days, this thing would dance all over the place. I had to slow down. Almost as bad as an 86 Mazda RX-7 that I once owned (that one was the worst ever in cross wind).

The 2000 9-3 SE seems to be significantly more stable, probably thanks to its rear spoiler. But the front spoiler and skirts might contribute to the improvement.

I would expect the Viggen to be a little more stable, yet.

The most stable car I've ever driven was a Porsche 928 S4. If you feel any cross wind in that one, you are simply going too slow. Once you hit 90mph you won't feel any of it.

Of course you can only do this on a race track, right? :evil:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like another marketing statement to me. Fifty percent of nothing is nothing. In a statement like that, you (or Saab Marketing) needs to specify more than 'what'. More than a non-Viggen spoiler, more than 'no spoiler', etc... Ron
I have no idea of what. Its just the "data" thats available. Its always mentioned in the same places as the body kit reducing the Cd by 8% to .31. At least thats a hard number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts