SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend I'm going to look at a 2000 9-3 Viggen. It has 48,xxx kms on it. Only asking 6500$. Its cheap because it was in a minor accident but was fixed and safetied.

The car was hit on the front drivers side near the front tire.
What are some things I should look at before buying the car?
I assume everything mechanical is fine since it was safetied.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
It depends on how fast

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That price seems almost too good to be true. Really, only 48K?? What year is it?

So was the damage in front of the driver's wheel or behind? Not much in front other than the battery. Behind must have included the door and much likely the steering rack. In both cases I'd be worried that the wheel was included which would have impacted on mechanical stuff such as the transmission, the drive shaft (Viggen's are not cheap), suspension bits such as control arm, strut, etc. More importantly the body in this location is very critical to alignment.

That said, for the price you would have some money saved that in the event of requiring a bolt on part you'd have about $2K to spend over what such a car would normally cost (that's a big guess not knowing it's condition or year). If you take that approach you really have to be concerned about the car's history... How many owners? Who owned it? Does it come with maintenance records? How long ago was the accident? This would give you a good idea of long term effects, if it was recent it might be someone having fixed it to sell...never a good sign! How does it drive?? IF you can, drive a different Viggen too and compare.

If you decide the risk is worth it have the car checked out by someone who REALLY knows these cars. that's pretty difficult with most dealers in Canada gone. If you were in or near Ottawa I could help you with a few names. The car needs to go on a hoist for a really good inspection underneath to see how well it was repaired and how much of the car was really affected by the impact. Some experienced with 9.3s will notice right away if anything isn't right. Remember, passing a 'Safety Inspection' means very little.

Viggen's are great cars but some Viggen specific parts are expensive. Comes down to how much risk are you willing to take? Worse case scenario you end up with a car that eats tires and drive shafts and eventually the transmission goes because the front isn't properly aligned. Best case scenario is you end up with a cheap Viggen that has a history!

Good luck and let us know what happens. Perhaps post some pics???

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is a 2000 9-3 Viggen. I'm not sure if the guy knows what the car is worth but he could just be hiding stuff. He was honest and said that the car was in an accident and the insurance company paid to fix it. I asked where the accident was and he said left side tire. I'm hoping I can take it to a mechanic so they can check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'd take it to an alignment shop and have them look it over and check the frame. That's a heck of deal if it was fixed correctly and the milage is correct.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Its in Calgary which is a decent size of a city I'm pretty sure they'd have a Saab mechanic there or a decent shop at least to look at it.
Also I guess the car was totaled but the insurance company decided to fix it? Something like that I'll ask more about that when I talk to the owner in person. I'm hoping if there was damage to the frame it was fixed properly. I know cars can be totaled off with very minimum damage in some cases.

Anyone recommend any shop in Calgary?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes your right I kept saying kms. I'm guessing its from the states if its in miles?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Good eyes SaabNGT! You're right.

It must be a US car as all Canadian cars have KMs only. 48,000 miles sounds more realistic. I'd be a bit worried if the accident happened in the US and the car was imported right after. Looks good though from what you show.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Autocheck score was a 79, similar cars are between 73-89 heres what came up:

09/30/2000 ------ CA 17 Motor Vehicle Dept. ------------------- ODOMETER READING FROM DMV
10/16/2000 ------ SAN FRANCISCO, CA Motor Vehicle Dept. ------ REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle)
10/26/2000 ------ CA Motor Vehicle Dept. ---------------------- TITLE (Leased Vehicle) (Lien Reported)
10/02/2003 ------ MOUNTAIN REGION 23,278 Auto Auction ------ REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
10/23/2003 ------ MOUNTAIN REGION 23,278 Auto Auction ------ AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE
10/25/2003 ------ BOULDER, CO 23,278 Dealer Record --------- VEHICLE IN DEALER INVENTORY
10/29/2003 ------ CO Motor Vehicle Dept. ----------------- PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
12/12/2003 ------ LONGMONT, CO Motor Vehicle Dept. ------ REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
01/11/2005 ------ LONGMONT, CO Motor Vehicle Dept. ------ REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
02/28/2006 ------ LONGMONT, CO Motor Vehicle Dept.------ REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
02/28/2006------ CO Motor Vehicle Dept. -------------- PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
06/16/2006 ------ CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. ------ CANADIAN RENEWAL
09/12/2006 CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
09/11/2007 CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
11/01/2008 CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
03/11/2009 CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
12/17/2009 CALGARY, AB Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL

Accident wasn't reported apparently.

What is "safetied"?
I guess I mean it had a safety inspection or MOT?

·
Registered
126 Posts
ok you can go and check every web page about car, you can check every single screw in the car, but my recommendation is, test drive yes test drive, but not 1-2 miles 10 minutes run, but actually 20-30 miles mixed type drive, it is a lot but it will show you a lot, i dont know better way to do it, every car i bought looked perfect, but after first day or two you know most issues, and in this time you do this much miles ( usually) so drive till you sure, than drive it more, if you are serious buyer they will let you, if they dont i would not buy it, i didnt do this and last 3 cars i wound issues on the way home ( most cars bought 100+ miles form where i live) ... so good luck

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think they started using the CF dash half way through 2000.
Viggen never had OEM CF dash, only weird gray dash as per the car you are looking at.

So it's a 3 owner car. It would be really good if you can find any service records.

3drs in any year other than '99 seem to be pretty rare.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
EvanD, I saw that Viggen on autotrader as well, beautiful car. I live in Calgary for half of the year in McKenzie Towne its nice to see a fellow Saaber so close to home as I never see Saabs around here! As for a good Saab shop in Calgary I really cant think of one but Ellis Autodrome in Lethbridge is a fantastic shop. If you gave the seller a deposit and took the car for a few days there is a chance you could take it there. I know thats a longshot but thats the best help I can give!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Oh wait, I was looking up shops in the Calgary area that work on Saabs and stumbled across Raybern Motors 3605 Manchester Road SE.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For what it's worth...

I have a 2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen vert and while I did not do the smart thing and check into service records (I bought with my heart and not my head) and as a result have put a lot of time and $$ into it, I will say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY VIGGEN! :D

I just brought it back home today from the body shop to fix the front bumper cover (mine's pretty low profile) and was so happy to have it back after a week without. I still have some more minor work to have done, but the engine is in tip-top shape now and I can't imagine having any other car.

I hope the one you are looking at turns out to be a gem. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I got the car for $6000. He tried selling it for $10k last summer but no one took it, I believe he was just trying to get rid of it. Made the 800km trip back home just fine, they're awesome on gas! Safety inspection is on wednesday. Will explain more about the car later as its late right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts