SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16" Borbet Viggen-style wheels have seen better days and I am thinking of relegating them to winter use. I am considering moving up to a 17" Viggen wheel as I need to get new tires anyway. Has anyone had any experiences with the replica Viggen wheels?

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/specials_packages_item.asp?id=&part=ALY68196U78N&special=Saab Specials

I know the OEM Viggen wheels were known to bend easily, so I am not sure I want to try to find used OEM wheels.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
the reps are better,
but to compare them to the OEM:

OEM Viggen wheels- room temperature butter
Rep Viggen wheels- refrigerated butter

in other words, they're both still soft as butter

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I am very mindful of avoiding potholes and going very slowly or around rough sections of road, but being here in the northeast there will always be a surprise hit eventually. Are they soft to the point where a careful driver would have an issue?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have had them on my car for years in New England with no problems.

Yeah but New england know how to take care of their roads. come to virginia and drive on 288.... its not the same and we dont get cold weather like you. ive lived both places.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a set of viggen replica rims for I believe 5 years. No issues what so ever for me. I had to Repaint them this year because a shop curbed them.

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
N.E. roads suck too.

Listen to grkguy. Anyone who has these wheels and hasn't bent them has just been lucky. If you want good wheels, buy something BBS made. You don't have to go forged (big money)... just buy a quality wheel.

To recap:
OEM Viggen wheels- room temperature butter
Rep Viggen wheels- refrigerated butter
Borbet wheels - warm butter

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I appreciate the responses. After pricing out tires for the 17s, plus the wheels, I just dont know that I can justify an over $1k expense on this car, or rather how I'd justify it to the missus. I'm in the market for something new soon anyway..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts