SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done about 60k in 2000 Viggen. runs well Needs a top up of oil every 1000 miles, about 0.75l. not driven too hard. is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
My HOT Aero is the same and my last 4 Saabs and Fiat Coupe 20V T
all drank their share of oil - I would top up regularly enough, but with a
fully synthetic oil - suggest you use Mobil 1 or Castrol do a good
Magnatec low visc oil. It was explained to me that due to the turbo
and the high heat evolutions you burn more oil. Anyway hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Should not eat any oil. Or if so very little. Has your crank vent been updated? Saab has since discontinued use of the previous (3) method(s) of enlarging the passages since it will cause high oil use. We all know that extra oil in the combustion mix is really bad. Should at least have a talk with the local main dealer about possible warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
nick what do u think of me replacing my stock overflow "thing" with an aftermarket catch can... also how many lines go to the stock one that is under the intake manifold?.. this si what i am going to replace

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
add said:
Done about 60k in 2000 Viggen. runs well Needs a top up of oil every 1000 miles, about 0.75l. not driven too hard. is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks
Not in my opinion. Our '97 SE-T uses about 0.5 qt. or less every 3,000 miles ..
Maybe the high output engines are supposed to use more oil - but not that much.
Work on the crankcase vent system - if necessary.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My Saab contact told me yesterday that Saab's latest TSB addressing oil consumption problems has just been released. Let's see how long it is before they rescind this one!! LOL!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick, will I still get warranty cover for 2000 car in UK.
Is this crank shaft vent serious?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts