SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
I thought they used to have warranty/restoration info on their site, but I don't see it now.

You'd want to make sure they met the factory spec for runout, which is .5mm +/-. Any used Viggen wheel that hasn't been straightened is likely out of spec. There's a reason there was a lawsuit over Saab wheels.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sell a new aftermarket unit as well but it comes in "hyper silver", don't know if that's the correct color? . I'll stay away from the reman units.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Pretty sure the OE color is (was) Hyper Silver. You can check yours for this color with a white (6.5k or so should do) beam flashlight at 200+ lumins - this may be a bit overkill... In fact a decent flash photo perpendicular to the face should work just fine.
But, you will see, held at the correct angle, that there are two colors - a dark base with a translucent metallic overcoat. The light will just refract weird and play tricks on your eyes. It will be especially evident on or near any rounded or curved edge.
If you don't see this, then you have Silver or imitation Hyper Silver done poorly. If replacing just one it's certainly best to get a match regardless of color.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure the OE color is (was) Hyper Silver. You can check yours for this color with a white (6.5k or so should do) beam flashlight at 200+ lumins - this may be a bit overkill... In fact a decent flash photo perpendicular to the face should work just fine.
But, you will see, held at the correct angle, that there are two colors - a dark base with a translucent metallic overcoat. The light will just refract weird and play tricks on your eyes. It will be especially evident on or near any rounded or curved edge.
If you don't see this, then you have Silver or imitation Hyper Silver done poorly. If replacing just one it's certainly best to get a match regardless of color.
Should have known you would know. :lol:

I'll try it, I already ordered one rim. I'll give you a call in a day or so. Have a nice Turkey day.
Thanks Ross.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What happened with your aftermarket Viggen wheel?..Are/were you aware the the hub/center bore in your aftermarket wheel is larger that it should be?.That is what i found on the 6 ive had
Turns out, aside from the color being very poor - actually silver, not hyper silver or even a shoddy imitation, it could not be balanced. The weight offset was in excess of 8 ounces. Four ounces, depending upon distribution, is generally the watermark for a useless wheel.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Turns out, aside from the color being very poor - actually silver, not hyper silver or even a shoddy imitation, it could not be balanced. The weight offset was in excess of 8 ounces. Four ounces, depending upon distribution, is generally the watermark for a useless wheel.
Ive read that OEM colors were both Hypersilver and Silver. Ive never seen OEM silver..

Did you buy the aftermarket wheel that we all think is a Keystone product?.The tobacco road dood) sells them on the ebay..I had no issues with the hpyer silver representation as i bought a full set of 4.The finish was a close match but very delicate/cheap!..... 8 ozs off on a balance?- That seems almost impossible..
I had 1 wheel that was off 2- 3/4 ozs and i t hought that was downright horrible!

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
I had 1 wheel that was off 2- 3/4 ozs and i thought that was downright horrible!
I don't know how you can be off even that much with a machined, uniform product.

A few grams is enough to cause vibration with our cars. If I see a weight over 20G on a balance job I'm concerned... that's about 2/3 of an ounce.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't know how you can be off even that much with a machined, uniform product.
Even with 'machined, uniform products' it can happen. More due to the casting than the machining process as alloys do, on occasion, do weird things during casting :eek:. Good wheel manufacturers have rather stringent QA for their products. Drop ship from who knows where and, well, there is a reason the wheel that would normally cost several hundred is available for 1/3 the cost... Some times you get lucky and things work out great. Other times... :cry:

Some of the weight distribution, of course, comes from the tire. While manufacturers such as Kumho, Continental and et al have tight controls, it happens. It was never balanced without the tire attached, so we'll never know how much of the weight distribution was due to the wheel or the tire.

A few grams is enough to cause vibration with our cars. If I see a weight over 20G on a balance job I'm concerned... that's about 2/3 of an ounce.
Not the case here, but worthy of noting.
After TIG repair, requiring an ounce or so to balance is not uncommon due to the addition of material at the fracture point. Ideally, whom ever does the repair is more judicious than to lay down so much material. But, it really depends upon the length and width of the fracture. An experienced repair shop can usually tell before starting if it is 'beyond repair'.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

That was with a Keystone wheel which is all cast...
Heck ,my Ford OEM wheels have a bunch of weights in 1 spot, But im not sure how much of that is needed due to tire imbalance

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
I was assuming that that the people posting were spinning just the wheels and finding that difference. Seems like a lot of difference for just material density, but I'd have to talk to my favorite engineer :)

I understand about tire imbalance... Michelin is about the only company that seems to have truly round tires as a policy. It has something to do with their uniform molding process, but I forget the details.

For anyone that has a ton of weight in one area... either it's a very cheap tire, an improperly made tire, or the guy balancing it didn't know now to do his job. Have a talented guy with a Road Force machine do your balancing and you'll know which it is and you can take action when they are fresh off the machine. A tire that needs a ton of weight will only get worse over time and will never be good on the front of your car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.