SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a 2000 Viggen convertible with 72k on the odometer. Already ordered a rescue kit. Other than that I don't plan on spending much on the chassis. Any advice regarding chipping or upping turbo boost would be greatly appreciated. There is plenty of info out there for standard 9-3 cars but it is hard to find good information for the Viggen. And seeing as I'm not a tech guy myself I'm not so sure which engine mods available for the standard 9-3 are suitable for a Viggen.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Nice haul there, got any pics? I think we have a rule here that if you don't show pics, you have to buy every member a beer. :cheesy:

So, since you already have a Viggen "rescue kit", you probably know about GenuineSaab.com. If not, go there, lots of cool stuff for our cars.

My suggestion, is after you get your chassis all stiffened up, go for better brakes(saabsavior.com sells a 4 piston willwood front caliper kit for about $1000, GenuineSaab.com has a nearly $2000 major front brake kit upgrade, and a nice rear caliper/disc upgrade to for like $550), some "small" power mods(intake, exhaust, chip), and then the big power stuff(turbo, cams, pistons).

For more specifics, your Viggen is a "T7", aka "Trionic 7"(Saab technology). Only get stuff for your cars engine if it is compatible with T7, otherwise it may not work all that well, such as with new cpus.

How you choose to advance is all up to you. Congrats, welcome and show us your car!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will definitely post pics soon. Was thinking about going for a BSR PPC. It seems to be very highly spoken of on the saabcentral forums. Is it really that easy though? It seems to be the best bang for my buck (at least in the power department). My only concern is, that if it really is that easy why would Saab not have provided these settings from the factory (unless they figured not everybody want to run their car on 93 octane)? I'm new to Saab ownership and to tuning of turbo cars, so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I personally don't have that PPC, in fact, I still have the stock one, lol. I can only guess as to why Saab wouldn't put such power settings in the car, such as for safety, pollution, fuel efficiency, durability and longevity. Not to mention those people that treat cars like appliances. Such power and extreme tuning measures would fall on deaf ears to many consumers.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
why would you add more power when the car doesnt even want to point forward when you floor it maybe with the Viggen rescue kit it would make sense to add power but stock... forget you'd wheel hop and break something

·
Registered
411 Posts
anshaikh1 said:
Other than that I don't plan on spending much on the chassis. Any advice regarding chipping or upping turbo boost would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, congrtulations on your Viggen 'vert.
Second, no pics, it never happened - so get some pics ;)

This is my thing - I wouldn't want to start throwing money at a platform that can't take the power. I just did the rescue kit (aka Steering Rack Brace), Koni Shocks/Springs, 22mm rear ARB, and the 6pt. Subframe for my 2001 Viggen 'vert. At this stage, I could start pouring more power into the Viggen, but I decided that I want to enjoy the power output of the stock Viggen for a while, but with better suspension. The Viggen output in stock form is NOT shabby, you know ;) Ok, I do have a BSR cat-back, but that's negligible in any type of gains...

Next on the list are bushings and mounts, and possibly brakes to further set the stage. Then, I will begin the gentle introduction of modifications to the powerplant.

Have fun dreaming & planning.
Hope to see periodic updates.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lowbudgethero said:
why would you add more power when the car doesnt even want to point forward when you floor it maybe with the Viggen rescue kit it would make sense to add power but stock... forget you'd wheel hop and break something
Rescue kit makes a big difference. I don't plan on using this as a track car or anything. Just would like a bit more umph when I'm cruising on the highway (and who doesn't?). But as for breaking something, that's what I'm afraind of. Would I have to change any other components along with the PPC upgrade? Air filter is a given. But what about the dump valve and so on?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The stock airfilter is very free flowing - changing it for a 'performance' air filter will not gain you any power. Get the GS 3" DP - this will give you more umph and be the foundation of future power upgrades. As long as your disks and pads are in good order and of good quality I wouldn't worry about replacing these either.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I think bsr had some lean conditions, which is why Genuinesaab.com no longer sells it. Z28Hokie also put one on his 9-5 aero and had a lean issue as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So would you not recommend the BSR PPC for the viggen? I have heard of a few people having problems, but then again there are always a few horror stories. I have heard many many more people raving about the PPC. And I don't think it will ever cause any severe problems. Worst case scenario I return the car to stock setup. Clearly I'm tryin to convince myself. Input appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mbc+a

Again I need input. I've heard an MBC might cause problems for a T7. Would like to get one for the time being unless anybody can give me reason not to. Might be better off just putting that money into intake and exhaust in prep for a new ECU.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You need a SMBC for T7. Worthwhile investment though since it is cheap and will help with spoolup. You will not however see the benefits that we see on T5. SMBC on T7 does not increase boost pressure while MBC on T5 does. If you try to run a MBC on T7 the car's ECU will slowly adapt negatively and you will have problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaws said:
You need a SMBC for T7. Worthwhile investment though since it is cheap and will help with spoolup. You will not however see the benefits that we see on T5. SMBC on T7 does not increase boost pressure while MBC on T5 does. If you try to run a MBC on T7 the car's ECU will slowly adapt negatively and you will have problems.
So SMBC, although not increasing boost pressure, will improve spool up. It will also over-ride the 1st and 2nd gear limiting, right?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
IMHO if you're going to go into the higher power, I would replace the stock intake, either with an open air or the 3" air box mod+ high flow filter. How much power do you really want?

·
Registered
342 Posts
anshaikh1 said:
So SMBC, although not increasing boost pressure, will improve spool up. It will also over-ride the 1st and 2nd gear limiting, right?
Yes, SMBC on T7 will increase spool up while reducing the boost limit in the lower gears. The SMBC fools T7 into thinking you are running less boost pressure than you actually are so the ECU then allows more boost in the lower gears. Max boost pressure in upper gears would stay the same. You can't get too agressive with the SMBC setting since T7 will not allow for that.

Info from SPATL at Smart Performance (They make SMBC):
http://smartperformance.net/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=33

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
9-3sleeper said:
IMHO if you're going to go into the higher power, I would replace the stock intake, either with an open air or the 3" air box mod+ high flow filter. How much power do you really want?
Eventually go for Stage 3. Not creating a 500hp monster. Was just wondering if SMBC is worth using for a few months until I can save up for the other mods.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
anshaikh1 said:
Eventually go for Stage 3. Not creating a 500hp monster. Was just wondering if SMBC is worth using for a few months until I can save up for the other mods.
I personally would upgrade the intake with stage 3. With the SMBC costing only $30 shipped, it's seems very worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
I personally would upgrade the intake with stage 3. With the SMBC costing only $30 shipped, it's seems very worth it to me.
Yes the stock intake needs to be replaced if you want to make more noise:lol:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
yeah... and power. the snorkle and such after the air box are hardcore pinch points.

proven fact.

wether you go the open air way, or the 3" box way one needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts