SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come and I'm finally doing the head gasket on my 00 viggen. The only concern I have is setting the timing once it's all said and done, is it just as simple as lining up the marks? I've tried searching but I keep getting to links that dont work anymore, any other tips would be appreciated. Also what size socket is the tensioner? I thought I had the right size but I guess not..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Tensioner is 27mm. Remove the 13mm "cap" before you remove the tensioner.

Lining up the timing chain is a little annoying the first time, but not all that bad. Make sure the crank is at TDC, line up the cams, count the links. Then turn the motor by hand 3-4 times and check again. Repeat this 3-4 times and eventually you'll get it. It's much easier the second time. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tensioner is 27mm. Remove the 13mm "cap" before you remove the tensioner.

Lining up the timing chain is a little annoying the first time, but not all that bad. Make sure the crank is at TDC, line up the cams, count the links. Then turn the motor by hand 3-4 times and check again. Repeat this 3-4 times and eventually you'll get it. It's much easier the second time. :)
Thank you, how many links should there be? And I'm assuming I reinstall the tensioner after I get the timing correct? Or before so the chain doesnt jump?

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
There should be 15 pins between the same spot on each cam.

The tensioner should be installed after you've got it close to right, before the engine is turned by hand. I usually install the tensioner by hand, finger tight, for the test. It's not exactly right - proper torque is maybe another full turn, but it's good enough for this test.

One thing a lot of folks leave out but I recommend is replacing the o-ring and seal on the tensioner. On older B202 motors these parts tended to last, but every T5/T7 motor I've seen both are shot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be 15 pins between the same spot on each cam.

The tensioner should be installed after you've got it close to right, before the engine is turned by hand. I usually install the tensioner by hand, finger tight, for the test. It's not exactly right - proper torque is maybe another full turn, but it's good enough for this test.

One thing a lot of folks leave out but I recommend is replacing the o-ring and seal on the tensioner. On older B202 motors these parts tended to last, but every T5/T7 motor I've seen both are shot.
I did get this seal when I ordered them, I remembered reading that somewhere. I'm hoping it solves my very slow oil leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts