SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Viggen began taking a bit longer to start about a year ago, then a few months ago the fuel gauge began to freak out, dropping to empty, then full, then back to the actual level, etc.

Now I am looking to replace it. I ordered a ScanTech unit for $120, but my tech has the tank dropped and comparing the new ScanTech unit to the Saab original, the ScanTech unit is far poorer quality with thinner wires, and most importantly, incorrectly sized barbs.

In the future, I plan to up the injector size along with several other performance modifications, I would like not to have to replace the fuel pump at that time.

My tech recommends a unit from Walbro, available through him for $500, I see an option at my usual parts place for a Delphi unit for $325. What is the community of Viggen and Saab owners' opinion?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The barb sizes, the wire sizes are not, IMO, quality related.
Try a Ford Mustang FP (Walbro).....
See what RockAuto and eEuroParts have...
Also a better mechanic ...."drop the tank"...we cut the missing acces hole...
$500 ?? for everything ?
or $350 for his profit....business may be slow.....guess who pays......

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Is he changing foe the entire fuel pump module (which contains the fuel level sensor) or just the fuel pump? I'm asking because Walbro doesn't make an entire fuel pump module and that's one of the problems (fuel level) that you have. I replaced the fuel pump with the Delphi fuel pump for around $60... Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The entire module, the fuel pump itself wouldn't have anything to do with the fuel gauge, and I wasn't able to find a reasonable sending unit or float separately. I saw a pretty sweet setup with a Bosch pump the other day, I'd prefer Bosch parts, but I'm not ready to hack stuff apart and depart that much from OEM specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, an update. I just talked to Nick Taliaferro and he basically said I'd be foolish to go with any other replacement part than the Walbro, who apparently make the OEM pump. He also called cutting the floor foolish :confused:.

According to my tech, he can get the entire assembly from them... we'll see how that actually goes. As for my tech's pricing, I'm content with him, the most expensive shop in town actually, but he is the only tech I have seen in the area who actually knows what he's talking about.

I have heard of using Mustang pumps when using larger injectors, personally, I'll probably use Bosch when I get to that point... I am a big fan of their parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts