SaabCentral Forums banner

Viggen Build.

49K views 165 replies 38 participants last post by  Brettzammitt 
#1 · (Edited)
So I can't access my other SC account due to no longer having access to my old email after the recent password update, so here is another account with my Viggen build progress.

I purchased my 2001, 9-3 Viggen just over a year ago from a gentleman in Florida. It was high mileage but exceptionally clean and rust free so I jumped on it. This was the first night I brought it home.

First things first. She had a leaky axle seal so that was taken care of the night it came home. Upgraded the pads and rotors to EBC Ultimax rotors and EBC Redstuff pads. The rotors that were on the vehicle were the incorrect size and had some nasty pad overlap...

The car also came with some old tint that was very distorted and purple. Old tint was removed and the new tint was installed by a friend that owns his own window film shop.

New tint measures at 30% on the side and rear windows, and 50% on the windshield.

Next came more maintenance. Threw on a new motor mount and you can see how much the old one was sagging. Also replaced some bulbs behind the cluster. It had a few dead spots and was bugging me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Next was some exterior work. This thing looked like it had been washed with a stiff bristle brush for the past 10+ years. Started with a 2 bucket wash using a foam gun and all my AMMONYC detailing products.

Got it pulled in for some heavy paint correction. My Rupes21 Mark1 tackled the paint pretty easily. Came out looking like glass. Here are some before/after and 50/50 shots.

50/50 Compounded on the left and untouched on the right.

Hood after

Front bumper scratches before and after

Full car after.

#3 ·
Now for the first round of modifications. Started with Koni Yellow struts, Vogtland lowering springs, GS polyurethane strut mounts, OEM strut bearings, and a GS front strut tower brace.

Comparison of the stock bar to the GS.

Poly Strut mount and bearing.

After the suspension upgrade it was time to have some fun. I live in North Carolina, about 4 hours away from US129 aka "The Tail of the Dragon". My friends and I go up and drive it regularly and it's an absolute blast.

Pictures on the Helipad at the bottom of the Dragon.

#4 ·
After the fun on the dragon I ended up swapping out the EBC Redstuff pads for a set of Yellowstuff. The Reds ended up glazing and weren't performing very well after the 3rd day up in the mountains. Minimal wear is shown.

Now that I had some experience in the Viggen under my belt it was time for some engine work. I ended up doing a maintenance rebuild and reseal with a few extra aftermarket parts.

Motor was pulled and all parts were cleaned. Removed and cleaned oil pan, new pickup tube gasket, oil pump gears, timing and balance chains/guides, head gasket, head bolts, clutch, etc...

Some of the aftermarket parts installed during the build include the GSv2 3 inch DP and BSR 2.5 inch cat-back, Seimens 630cc Deka injectors,an Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump, and the GS lightweight flywheel.

With these mods I had made the switch to running E85 because its extremely cheap and readily available down south but we ran into a problem. The stock intercooler wasn't up for the job.

So in went a nice ETS front mount.

Brandon Adams of SwedeFleetTuning has supplied my tune. For anyone looking to have a tune done I highly recommend him. My shop uses his tunes exclusively and he has done a fantastic job.

#70 ·
Motor was pulled and all parts were cleaned. Removed and cleaned oil pan, new pickup tube gasket, oil pump gears, timing and balance chains/guides, head gasket, head bolts, clutch, etc...

What did you clean the motor with? Any insight on this process would be awesome.

Also, a sound clip of the BSR exhaust would be amazing too. I had that on my 9-5 and loved the subtle low growl. It doesn't seem like a popular choice on the vigs

#5 ·
Now that the car was sorted and I put some miles on the new build it was time to hit the rollers. The car was dyno'ed at RPM in Garner, NC. They are notorious for building some of the fastest GM cars the world has seen. They currently hold the world record for the fastest 6th gen Camaro which runs a 9.4 or so in the 1/4. They seemed to enjoy the Viggen for it being pretty opposite of what they're used to dealing with. And for anyone curious it was run on a DynoJet 224 and it was about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Not too bad. She made 292whp and 365wtq.

After this dyno run I was bitten by the power bug. So I started building a new motor. :)

#6 ·
Working at a Saab Service center has it's advantages. I was able to get a hold of an 05' Aero motor to use for my build. Started by ordering a set of Wossners (Stock Bore), mains, rod bearings, thrust bearings, balance shaft bearings, and valve seals. I dropped it off at our local machine shop and he polished the crank, clean everything up, painted the block, and put it together for me.

Birthday was about a week after the short block and head were done and I got one of these! GS rear hatch brace. Definitely reduces the understeer. Going to the Dragon again in October so I can't wait to see what a difference it will make is.

#7 ·
This is all of the things that I like! Great build so fair.

We're lining up some fall events here in VA if you won't to day cruise. Looks like you're set on tuning as well but have a tuning day coming up in Nov. in Williamsburg with MikeDTuning. May be something to think about if you'd like a road tune option.

#8 ·
Ended up ordering some more parts for the build. GS Cobra pipe, GS stock placement tubular manifold, ARP headstuds, and GS manifold studs. The quality that goes into these things is nuts. They're works of art.

Also got a hold of some Carbon Fiber pieces from Joe Hall. Find him on facebook. He makes mirror covers, door pulls, dash panels, etc... and they look so good. Real CF too!

Turbo, header wrap and gold heat tape should be here in 1-2 weeks. Can't wait for it to come in. I'll keep updating as I go. Thanks!

#15 ·
Wow! You really don't see many people doing saab builds like this anymore, good job. That car looks almost brand new on the outside, looks like it was a garage queen as the bumpers look new.
The a/f ratio looks really lean if I'm looking at it correctly, it also looks like an old jzw tune.

#16 ·
Thank you guys! And yes on the paper you can see the AFR spike to 15 but that's because the rev limiter was hit at the end of the run in 4th gear and it cut fuel. Tune was done by Brandon Adams of SwedeFleet.

For any of you on the facebook groups, you may have already seen this but, Jason Rochester of Rochester House of Boost in Canada posted some pictures of my turbo. Should be here next week! Now I need to grab a 7 cm. housing. :-D

#19 · (Edited)
DON'T DO IT! DON'T BUY THE CLUTCHNET 6 PUCK!

I read a lot on the forums when I was searching for a clutch for my car, what everyone has had the best luck with is the Spec Stage 3+ Clutch kit. It is expensive, but it is the best of the bunch. You can buy the disc alone for about $300 directly from spec. With a factory Viggen Pressure plate the setup is good for a little over 400 ft./lbs. of torque.

#23 ·
If it was me, and its not, I would throw in a stock viggen kit. You are only putting in a 19T, so unless you tune it for crazy torque, which these cars do not like, there really isn't a need for spec/clutchnet. When I first put in my stage 3+ years ago, that stupid tune spun the tires on the dyno in third and fourth gear and was utterly useless on the street when in 1st and second. Get some wheel hop and you are done. It took a road tune to get my 18T to behave the way I wanted it and if you have a really good tuner, they can make a tune pretty much behave the way you want it. It will take a few hours, but its worth it.
What cams are you using?

#24 ·
So in went a nice ETS front mount.

Brandon Adams of SwedeFleetTuning has supplied my tune. For anyone looking to have a tune done I highly recommend him. My shop uses his tunes exclusively and he has done a fantastic job.[/QUOTE]

I know the ETS is a direct plug and play upgrade but do you know how the Mishimoto j line would work out?

#25 ·
Ims, you are correct. I built an 18T 9-5 Wagon for one of my customers and he is still on the stock clutch. We are shooting for 400+ wtq on mine. Also, LSD tranny will be going in soon. ;-)

Not sure on the Mishimoto IC. I prefer the ETS because its a direct bolt on.

#26 ·
Was up at the Tail of the Dragon this weekend. Here is a video I made while out on a run with some friends. The Viggen did very well. Need to find a tire that's a little stickier than the Pilot Super Sport when we go back in the fall.

#27 ·
Now that I have a majority of the engine parts I was able to start the assembly.
Getting boxes from Orio never gets old.

Timing components.

Started with the balance chain sprockets and the timing chain.

Chain guides and balance chain timed. Headstuds in.

Timing cover, Oil pan, and gable plate installed.

Brand new head from Orio. Had to use old cam caps, lifters, springs, and valves.

B202 cams are going in this motor.

Head installed.

First time using the ARP headstuds on a Saab motor.

#28 ·
After getting the motor timed it was time to add some accessories.

Genuine Saab tubular exhaust manifold, wrapped in DEI titanium header wrap.

Also used the exhaust manifold stud set that they sell.

New 19T with a GTX 5x5 comp wheel, 9 blade turbine, 7cm turbine housing was test fitted. Built by Rochester's House of Boost in Canada.

I'm currently running into an intake pipe fitment issue. The exhaust manifold doesn't seem to have been built quite as advertised. Using the 06+ stock cobra pipe, it is touching one of the manifold runners. There also is not enough room to fit the intake pipe - to dirverter valve pipe. I have the Genuine Saab Cobra pipe. When fitted with a pre - 06 compressor housing it fits fine. Waiting on RHB to send another comp housing so I can finish assembly.

Now all I will need is a clutch... ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.